14-year-old dies after attempted exorcism

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by GfPQqmcRKUvP, Apr 3, 2010.

1. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Link

Now, I can hear the responses: "Badandy, incidents like these are isolated cases where some religious people clearly went too far. Actions like these aren't indicative of the whole religious population." I know, I know, I understand where you're coming from. But this story really exemplifies, to me, why religion is so dangerous. It causes people to ignore the realities of the world. While cases like this don't happen all that often, I feel people act in similar ways in admittedly less sensationalistic situations. Instead of looking at what we've discovered about how the natural world works, how society works, and how human beings should be treated, the religious fall back on unverified and often suspect rationale to solve problems or form judgements in ways that are at best naive but well intentioned and, at worst, bigoted and hateful.

So I ask you, is religion all that harmless now? We have all discussed the stifling of scientific advancements in the past, but how dangerous is thought that relies on dogma but ignores either human nature or problems humans have solved through our advancement in technology and medicine?

2. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Sometimes it's incredibly dangerous, and this is a terrible example of when it is.

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You know its funny everyone is blaming the exorcism for her death, when it was clearly the tea she drank for breakfast that killed her. Damn Catholic tea! :eek:

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Religion didn't kill this girl.

Sounds like nobody knows for sure, but it's possible that not seeking medical care may have played a part.

If this weren't a news story - meaning, if this weren't an isolated incident, and it happened all the time - your argument might have some basis. Until then, I think you're off-target.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There is, however, an awful lot of praying for health substituted for scientifically-proven medical treatment. Prayer has never been demonstrated to have any effect whatsoever.

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Sorry, but religion did kill this girl, and you said so in your post. The reason she didn't get that medical care was because people were trying to use religion to cure her.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I agree with you - people who delay or refuse medical treatment (either for themselves or their children) because they believe a higher power will fix it for them are not making good decisions. I understand that it's easy to blame religion as a whole for that phenomenon, however uncommon a death like this might be as a result; but as I see it, the blame lies closer to bad parenting than a belief in religion.

I imagine that the number of people in this world who genuinely believe that their religious doctrine requires them to refuse medical treatment is small. Billions of religious people of all nationalities don't fall into that category; and for that, I believe that blaming religion for this is a bit misplaced.

I said not seeking medical care may have killed her; whether it was a religious doctrine, lack of funds, or somebody spending too much time playing with a computer instead of taking care of their child, that's bad parenting, not evil religious beliefs. Would you say that the internet killed that girl? Because the parallel is the same.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Most Jehovah's Witnesses and numbers of other sect members refuse blood.
    No, it is not.
    This is about superstition and religion, not about parenting. It is the same superstition and religious claptrap evident in the gospel accounts of the Gadarene swine and the like. It is pernicious and dangerous ignorance.

9. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    In my mind parents have the absolute right of responsibility for the welfare of their child over anyone except a qualified doctor. She can't be absolved for the death of her child. But for a priest to come up with some hocus-pocus and 'convince them' this was a demon in a child that could be having a seizure, or episode of some sort of disgusting.

If religious beliefs were recognised in society as being along the same lines of Greek mythology, then vulnerable people wouldn't be so susceptible to the influence of these so called priests, and bishops and evangelists etc.

It's the biggest scam in history. This boy of just one of millions that have lost their lives over an invisible man.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It was a girl, and, besides, there were plenty of believers in Greek mythology, too. Nobody went into battle without the auspices being read.

11. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    No-one today believes in greek myths, that's very clearly the point.

12. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

The bottom line is that demonic possessions are real. Pounding on her stomach may have killed her. But that's not part of the catholic protocol for exorcism.

Religion didn't kill her. Priests did.

Also it's entirely possible that the demonic possession (assuming there actually was one) killed her.

13. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I'm pretty sure the priest wasn't Catholic, although it doesn't say what denomination he was.

EDIT: Found it. Something called Christ Ambassadors Church. Never heard of it.

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

LOL

It certainly didn't help her any.

Sounds more like a misdiagnosis.

15. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

16. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

If that's the bottom line I'm really going to need you to show your work to get full credit.

17. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I'm almost certain that it was the tea that killed her, and her delay in obtaining care most likely had a huge role in her death (though that's very difficult to prove).

But to paint with such a broad brush over the whole of religion? Come on BadAndy, we know you're smarter than that. Don't you go to USC?

I'm LDS, and my faith just had it's general conference, this is where the church leadership gives 10 hours of sermon covering one weekend. There are lessons covering all aspects of our faith. During one sermon, it was outlined that members should never delay medical care to obtain blessings (in our faith, a preisthood holder may annoint someone who is ill or injured, and bless them to heal). It was explicitly pointed out that ours is a religion of action, that we can not expect God to do anything for us, if we do not first do what we can for ourselves.

So it's quite apparent that not all religion is dangerous.

I should read the story, but what is the religious background of this particular situation? Guyana may be an area where folks are still adhering to many tribal medicine practices, and are yet to fully accept modern medicine. It's not necessarily the most developed nation in the world you know.

SLC

18. No1451 macrumors 6502

I'm not a particularly clever fellow, and I still think that it wasn't religion but bad decision making that killed this girl.

Fact: Religion is NOT the only source of confused and erroneous decisions.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

O RLY?

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It certainly isn't. But supposed religious authority does give undue weight to the pronouncements of priests.

21. No1451 macrumors 6502

Yup, it's that perceived authority that does(Milgram experiments anyone?) it, though again this is an issue with people being unwilling to think for themselves, rather than an inherent fault with religion.

I always did think my mother was besought by demons.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

But it is an inherent fault with any religion which empowers priests to speak with quasi-divine authority. Their flock are not supposed to think for themselves.

23. No1451 macrumors 6502

Your words are very true, it doesn't need to be the case, but it is.

24. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

catholic tea?

:eek:

"the urine of christ"

"amen."