14 yrs ago....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BoxerGT2.5, Sep 10, 2015.

1. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

At this moment 14 years ago, millions of Americans went to bed quietly, with no thought that the next morning their world would change forever. That hundreds packed flight bags they would never live to open. Thousands slept with loved ones for the last time.
    One never knows what a new day has in store. Let us live each day to the fullest, and never miss a chance to let those dearest to us know our love for them.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Liberals will tell you bush started an illegal war, but they seem to have little issues with one as continuation of the war while starting Syria & Libya, bet you the refugees just love The U.S

3. zin macrumors 6502

I see a big difference between the interventions in those places. To this day, evidence of prohibited weapons under international law in Iraq has not showed up. That was the whole point of going in. The whole point of going in this time is to defeat a threat that is known and has been observed. The threat exists and we see evidence of that on our news screens daily.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

So what did Syria or Libya do to the U.S?

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Broke international law. We didn't attack Syria on our own initiative. It was a NATO affair, of which the US was a part.

Though I think it's kind of funny seeing this, considering one of my more Republican friends linked a page the other day blaming Obama for not doing enough in Syria.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Links please

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

We have no business getting involved in a civil war,
    Had no business getting involved with Libya either . Your link seems to be from your republican friend .

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

14 years ago I was stationed in Bahrain and scared like a mutha%@^%.

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I thought that's what you wanted.

Do you want proof of NATO involvement? Just read up on any report concerning our involvement with Syria at the time. We spearheaded the effort, but everyone from Australia to Canada to Morocco played a part. Comparing it to Iraq is like comparing apples to oranges.

You don't have to agree with the actions taken, but you can't use one as an argument against the other.

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think you will find that the conflicts in Syria and Libya started in their own.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Yes, CIVIL wars that we had no business getting involved in

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Considering ISIS was making a play in Syria at the time, we did have some stake in the conflict.

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

While I think jkcerda was rather missing the OP's point, what you have stated is simply untrue. Iraq did have WMD - namely chemical warfare artillery shells from old stockpiles that they failed to destroy. Indeed some US soldiers were harmed disposing of them, which ironically was kept quiet.

The issue in Iraq was never WMD or illegal war. It was Dumbya failing to learn from the history of the successful reconstruction of Europe and Japan after WWII. The war might have been the wrong war at the wrong time, but the management of Iraq after the fall of Hussein's regime was incompetent at best. Had the correct decisions about reconstruction in Iraq been made, we might have viewed the war quite differently then we do now. But then again, what did we expect after electing the village idiot to the highest office in the land?

In any case, I think that the OP's point - which is to savour each day - is well taken. I would add to that that we should have learned by now that blind, irrational fear is more harmful than the terrorist attacks that created the panic. As a country we need to get a grip and roll back some of the nonsense we enacted as law after 9/11. We've lost or sense of who we should be as a nation.

15. BoxerGT2.5 thread starter macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Thank you for your service!!!

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The OP made a thread about 9/11 and it took all of one post to make it political. Stay classy jk.

17. Meister Suspended

Meister

OP made a political propaganda thread.

18. Linuxpro macrumors regular

I have an idea. The USA can stop being a bully nation that goes around picking fights, and getting into everyone else's business.

19. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Personally, I hope that in time American society comes to forget - or at least downplay - the memory of 9/11.

I'm sure the families of the victims will always recall the horrors of that day. And deserve the right to have their memories treated respectfully.

But as for the rest of us?

9/11/2001 turned the United States into a nation that tortured prisoners. That snatches them off the streets and keeps them in an illegal prison, with no hope of any access to meaningful legal process whatsoever. It spurred us to invade another country on spurious grounds, resulting in a war that killed a quarter million innocent Iraqis. Left 4500 American service people dead, and flushed a couple trillion badly needed dollars down the drain.

9/11 turned us into a nation that has built a vast, unknowable security state. When massive banks of Government computers sift our every communication. That peek into our thoughts and relationships. 9/11 gave us domestic police officers yelling at us in camouflage battledress and combat helmets. Roaring down our streets in armored vehicles.

9/11 turned the Republican Party into a de facto extension of Likudnik Israel. Where candidates for offices big and small outdo themselves in their pathetic pandering ass-kissing of Sheldon Adelson and Bibi Netanyahu. Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan had the guts to tell Israel to go **** itself when their policies or actions conflicted with ours. Today? If Jonathan Pollard were arrested in similar circumstances today, Scott Walker and Mike Huckabee would be nominating him for an Intelligence Star.

I could go on: The blind, willful ignorance of the anti-Muslim hysteria that grips this country. The ocean of semi-automatic rifles cluttering the closets of the fat men playing at the soldiers they never got be. The billions of hours - and infinite indignities - we suffer as travelers before boarding most any form of public transportation.

9/11 turned America into a country with some very bad habits. Its long past time for us to start breaking them

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

An odd comment given how the US entered in to WWII and the 'war on terror'. But, hey, don't let the little things in life like surprise attacks get in the way of your world view.

21. BoxerGT2.5 thread starter macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

You couldn't be further from the truth. I had two friends lose their lives in the North Tower. I choose to look at 9/11 as one of the darkest times in our nations history, but also a time when our nation came together in a way many of us may never witness again. People set aside partisanship; democrat, republican, liberal, and conservative. None of it mattered, we set it aside for a time and we where simply Americans. That was the only label that mattered. Not every thread about 9/11 is "propaganda", for those of us who lost friends and/or family, politics doesn't even enter our minds.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Ha, the democrat party is just like the republican one when it comes to war

23. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Is it really?

Then how do you explain the recent vote on the Iran nuclear accord? Because, if you listen to the rhetoric coming out of Republican's mouths, there really is no possible outcome from their position other than war with Iran.

Iran would never agree to the impossible conditions the Republicans demand. No sovereign nation would, and certainly not a proud country of 70 million people. The only way to achieve what Republicans want vis-a-vis Iran would be a massive military invasion.

So: No. I reject that false equivalence. The Iran Nuclear deal is not perfect. Iran may cheat, or violate its terms. But they just as plausibly may not. Give Peace A Chance. Thats all the Democrats are saying.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Meddling in the civil war of two nations is not giving peace a chance

25. Meister Suspended

Meister

Posting in PRSI.

Appealing to nationalism.

Trying to stear up emotions, by recalling a horrible crime commited for propaganda purposes and exploited for all sorts of political propaganda, including crimes against humanity.

Then claiming it's "not propaganda".

.... obvious propaganda is obvious?!