Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After setting a record high close yesterday, Apple's stock today has extended its strong run that has been in place since last month's disappointing earnings numbers, pushing through to set a new all-time intraday high. The stock hit a new high of $644.13 per share just minutes ago, besting the previous all-time high of $644.00 set on April 10.

aapl_644_13.jpg

The move has also pushed Apple's market capitalization above $600 billion for the first time since April 10, also marking a 23% increase in stock price since the bottom of this dip came at $522.18 during trading on May 18.

Apple's new all-time high comes a day after the company issued its first quarterly stock dividend since 1995, giving shareholders $2.65 per share as one piece of the company's strategy for handling its massive stockpile of cash. Investors had been calling for a dividend for quite some time as Apple's cash hoard approached and then exceeded $100 billion, with the company relenting in a March announcement in which the company outlined its belief that it will have enough cash on hand to meet its needs for the foreseeable future. The company also instituted a $10 billion stock buyback program intended to offset dilution coming from stock grants and employee stock purchases.

Article Link: Apple's Stock Continues Surge With New Record High

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
If I had invested all of the money I've spent on Apple products over the year into Apple stock, I'd be wealthy, me thinks...
I got 15 stock, MBP 2011, iPhone 1st gen, iPad 2 , iPod 3rd gen. You can have both!

Oh yeah and apple tv 3 as well.

scotty321

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2003
This doesn't make sense to me. Apple had a very disappointing quarter last quarter, they gave guidance towards an even worse quarter next quarter, and yet their stock is skyrocketing to all-time highs? I don't get it.

SmoMo

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
Ohm

Anybody know when the best time to buy stock in :apple:? I've just started a new career and would like to learn more about investing.

Generally you should buy stock just before the price plummets. That way you can most efficiently rid yourself of any money you have and walk the world as a shoeless nomad free from monetary burden.

Come back and thank me when you've reached enlightenment, I'll buy you a pair of sandals to celebrate :)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
These "Record High" stock price news articles are about as dumb as they get. It's newsworthy... until it goes up even further. :confused:

Obviously we don't publish an article every time Apple sets a new high. We save them up for notable occasions when significant milestones are set. In this case, Apple has returned to record highs for the first time in over four months and just weeks after everybody was moaning and groaning about Apple "falling short" on earnings.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Glad I got in at 590...It's never too late people. I thought it was for me in May.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
It was always going to shoot up this week - after all, I sold a large chunk of my shares last week. So you can thank me. :rolleyes:

No regrets though as I sold my shares to pay for my honeymoon and I still have the same value of shares left as I did when I bought them just under a year ago. Thanks Apple! :apple:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This doesn't make sense to me. Apple had a very disappointing quarter last quarter, they gave guidance towards an even worse quarter next quarter, and yet their stock is skyrocketing to all-time highs? I don't get it.

Sme analyst just upped the price target to $900; claims the iPad Mini is in production at Foxconn. And of course the iPhone and Apple TV rumors. Typical run up before a product launch. Stock wil drop again when new iPhone is released and it disappoints for not being enough of a game changer an Apple TV rumors don't materialize or what does isn't considered revolutionary.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Obviously we don't publish an article every time Apple sets a new high. We save them up for notable occasions when significant milestones are set. In this case, Apple has returned to record highs for the first time in over four months and just weeks after everybody was moaning and groaning about Apple "falling short" on earnings.

Fair enough, although you posted an "All time high" story yesterday.

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/1...at-all-time-high-ahead-of-new-iphone-rollout/

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007

Only analysis thought they had a bad quarter....

Macclone

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012

Disappointing? Only according to clueless ANALYSTS.

----------

Bought at 218, 248 and 600. Nice profit.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

First of all, it's not "skyrocketing to all time highs," it's just an all-time high for the share price at market close, it reached a higher level earlier in the year but closed below yesterday's level. As to last quarter being "very disappointing," that's a bit of an overstatement. The stock has been undervalued and is just coming back to appropriate levels ahead of the iPhone introduction.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
This will surely go down when they announce the new iPhone. People will be dissapointed and then fall in love with it. Same old song and dance every year.

Ay_Zimmy

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yay for me and my 20 shares! It hasn't been this high in months.. although it should never have been in the past.. I cant wait to see what happens come the September event.

boronathan

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
More money for me :) i feel bad for the ppl who went into a panic and started selling off because Apple only made 8 billion last quarter!

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
Generally you should buy stock just before the price plummets. That way you can most efficiently rid yourself of any money you have and walk the world as a shoeless nomad free from monetary burden.

Come back and thank me when you've reached enlightenment, I'll buy you a pair of sandals to celebrate :)

Thank you so much, I've just invested my life savings and I'll meet you at the end of the rainbow.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.