Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Milestones for Apple's stock are falling rapidly in recent days, with another strong performance today pushing Apple past Microsoft for the title of most valuable publicly-trade stock ever, a distinction Microsoft has held since December 1999.

aapl_660.jpg

Microsoft's market capitalization peaked on December 30, 1999, reaching an intraday high of $119.94 per share. With Microsoft having documented 5,160,024,593 outstanding shares as of October 31, 1999 in its quarterly earnings report, the company would have had a market capitalization of $618.89 billion on December 30.

Apple's most recent quarterly filing listed 937,406,000 outstanding shares as of July 13, 2012, and with the company's stock price hitting $660.73 today, its market capitalization reached $619.37 billion.

While Apple now holds the all-time market capitalization record in terms of raw numbers, accounting for inflation would still allow Microsoft to retain the title by a fairly wide margin. In inflation-adjusted terms, Microsoft's $618.89 market capitalization in December 1999 would be equivalent to roughly $842.5 billion in today's dollars.

Apple's market capitalization title is also subject to several other caveats, perhaps most notably being PetroChina's trillion dollar market cap it achieved when it launched for trading on the Shanghai stock exchange in 2007. That figure comes with its own qualifications, however, as PetroChina is a government-dominated firm that saw only 2% of its shares being made available on the Shanghai exchange. Trading in PetroChina shares on the Hong Kong exchange and American depositary receipts on the New York Stock Exchange never supported the trillion dollar valuation the company received on the Shanghai exchange.

Update: Apple's stock closed at $665.15 today, giving the company a market capitalization of $623.5 billion.

Article Link: Apple Becomes Most Valuable Publicly-Traded Stock Ever

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
.... but but but that's because ummm.... there is no Android stock on the stock market, and ummmm... because if there was, Apple stock would probably be like NEGATIVE 660 in value instead of positive 600. Yep, that's the ticket... and it's all fanboy sheep who buy the stock anyways, and there will be a crash and correction soon, and... and.... :rolleyes:

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
It's mind boggling to think that, at the time, Microsoft was almost exclusively a software company and its most well received OSes of late, XP and Windows 7, hadn't even been launched. We're talking Windows 98 and 98 SE here :eek:

Practical value of this news story: none. Like every other stock milestone announcement.

The practical value of nearly every story on here is 0. It's a rumors site, not a gardening how-to site.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It's mind boggling to think that, at the time, Microsoft was almost exclusively a software company and its most well received OSes of late, XP and Windows 7, hadn't even been launched. We're talking Windows 98 and 98 SE here :eek:

Yes, the actual inflation-adjusted Microsoft milestone is the real :eek: part of this article. Mind-boggling stuff.

babazaroni

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2010
I bought last week. Already made enough for a new iphone and plan for a year. Thinking about shorting after the announcement.

boronathan

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
You mean to tell me that apples 8 billon dollars of profit WASN'T a sign that they were failing. ;)

Go Apple! And go me! Lol

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
S-.. sSssss... Ssssell. Sell... I dunno.

I'm getting nervous that this might be a bubble. I got in around $320, with a few additional buy-ins along the way. How long can this really keep up? It feels like a bubble.

I'd be pissed off if I sold it all, only for it to get to $700, then $800.... I guess that's the nature of investing though.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
Apple has less than 10% market share in every single one of their major revenue streams (spare their shrinking iPod line). ipods hit about 70% market share. microsoft hit 95% market share in OS's. theres no reason why apple cant hit at least 70% in all of their markets, since they're the only ones who are excellent at software/device integration/innovation/curation. add a tv to the mix, theyll edge out competition that much more surely. <10% market share, should be no reason not to hit at least 70%. that's 7x higher than the stock is now.

Last edited:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

True, but this was also during the tech stock bubble, when a lot of companies with no actual products let alone any intrinsic value were racking up huge market caps. Microsoft was making money during this time period, and lots of it. It's also worth keeping in mind that Microsoft's fortunes have never really been tied to releasing new versions of Windows. With the PC market essentially captured, their success was a function of growing PC sales, and that was happening in spades during the late '90s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.