Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Renowned Apple journalist Jim Dalrymple -- known for his "Yep" confirmations to Apple rumors -- has posted a cryptic message suggesting that Apple will hold two separate media events this fall for the new iPhone and iPad mini.

NewImage39.png
Jim Dalrymple (right) with rock guitarist Slash
The message was written in response to a theory postulated by John Gruber of Daring Fireball, saying that he is a "smart fellow" for this post:
I'm thinking it makes more sense for Apple to hold two events. First, an iPhone event, focused solely on the new iPhone and iOS 6. Then, the iPhone ships nine days later, and there's another wave of iPhone-focused attention as the reviews come out. Then, in the first or second week of October, Apple holds its traditional "music event", exactly along the lines of the events at which they've been debuting new iPods for the last decade.
It has previously been all but confirmed that Apple will hold a media event on September 12th to announce a new product, initially presumed to be the next-generation iPhone and an iPad Mini. With Dalrymple's track record, however, it seems possible that the new iPhone will come first and a smaller iPad will be announced later in the fall at a separate event.

Article Link: Jim Dalrymple Hints at Two Separate Apple Media Events for New iPhone and iPad Mini

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
But even though it's not publically released yet, everyone knows just about everything regarding iOS 6. There can't be that much that the next gen iPhone will bring to the table in regards to iOS 6.

JDee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Ireland
Jim Dalyrymple is usually fairly tuned in when it comes to these things. I doubt he'd want to ruin that reputation as well.

beangibbs

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2011
I've said it before, I'll say it again: the iPad mini is probably one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard of.
I've also said when it doesn't come out, I'll call all the reporters who so vigorously believed in it and touted it as fact idiots.
If it does come out, there will be no apology from me...rather...I'll just call the folks at Apple who let this come to pass idiots.

rick98761

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2005
Kansas City, MO
I've said it before, I'll say it again: the iPad mini is probably one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard of.
I've also said when it doesn't come out, I'll call all the reporters who so vigorously believed in it and touted it as fact idiots.
If it does come out, there will be no apology from me...rather...I'll just call the folks at Apple who let this come to pass idiots.

Have you ever used a 7 inch tablet? They are great. I had a nexus 7 for a few weeks to mess with and the form factor was great for reading and extra portability.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
But even though it's not publically released yet, everyone knows just about everything regarding iOS 6. There can't be that much that the next gen iPhone will bring to the table in regards to iOS 6.

Right, but they'll still rehash it like they did at the 4S event last year.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I hope the sept12 event is a state of the art new iMac. That would surprise many, but make me very happy :)

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
Would definitely make sense to have two separate events.

Definitely makes sense, just have been wanting to see a "one more thing" for awhile.

Maybe after the iPad Mini is unveiled on october, there will be a one more thing with a new iPod.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Last time they did an iPhone only event was the CDMA iPhone 4 launch, which was a big deal because of the loss of exclusivity. Will they have enough to fill this time slot and warrant another event?

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012

If your definition of a "dumb idea" is a product that will sell in astounding numbers and be enjoyed by millions, I'd say you're spot-on in your analysis!

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Lines up with Kuo's timetable:

But I don't see new iPods coming out within two weeks.

It is also worth mentioning that, we have been seeing iPhone leaks but no iPod touch or the rumored new nano part leaks.

Usually iPod touch and iPhone leaks used come hand in hand.

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
Last time they did an iPhone only event was the CDMA iPhone 4 launch, which was a big deal because of the loss of exclusivity. Will they have enough to fill this time slot and warrant another event?

Wasn't the iPhone 4S an iPhone-only event? I think every iPhone has been announced at its own event.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.