Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

GizChina points to several case designs for the upcoming 7.85" iPad Mini. The new smaller iPad has been rumored to be launched later this year. The most recent rumors have suggested the new device will look closer to a large iPod touch, than a smaller iPad. Specifically, the side bezels are expected to be narrower as shown in the previous rendering.

Some case manufacturers seem to be taking similar dimensions into account with new case designs intended for the 7.85" iPad. As shown here, the side-bezels are much narrower than the top and bottom. The case designs also show off the Facetime Camera and a hole for the rear camera.

The iPad depicted within the case shows the new smaller dock connector, but those device images tend to be rendered mockups based on circulating expectations. In the past, the case designs themselves have been sourced from leaked/stolen specifications of the upcoming Apple device.

Other images show the usual microphone opening at the top of the device, though there is also an extra upper-back opening, the purpose of which isn't clear.

Article Link: 'iPad Mini' Cases Consistent with Rumored Design Details

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
It's quite interesting that Apple (if the product is even released) has allowed the bezel to be that slim, because when you imagine holding it, your thumb would likely cover the edge of the screen. I'm guessing that this is their way to, if you like, differentiate the iPad Mini as a more e-reading friendly/mobile device from the original iPad, as the bezel and design for the speaker grill/dock connector is almost identical to the new iPhone.

Although, we may even see the same design cues used for the standard iPad...

AppleFan115

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
It looks like the Apple Event is going to be in October for the iPad Mini. News is just starting to trickle in as they ramp up production. There is no denying that it is coming soon. I think its great to have it in October instead of September so there is even more buzz for it as we had into the holiday season. I personally love the current dimension and won't get this one, but I'm sure it will be great for so many people. This is going to take their market share to ridiculous heights.

arbitter

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Belgium
I still don't quite know what to think of it. For me, you are using a phone, or you are using a tablet. Making something in between, whilst enlarging the new iPhone...

Ofcourse I'd rather have the iPad Mini to be true instead of the new oversized iPhone.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It's quite interesting that Apple (if the product is even released) has allowed the bezel to be that slim, because when you imagine holding it, your thumb would likely cover the edge of the screen. I'm guessing that this is their way to, if you like, differentiate the iPad Mini as a more e-reading friendly/mobile device from the original iPad, because that bezel and design for the speaker grill/dock connector is almost identical to the new iPhone.

The bezel size depends on the size/weight of the thing. the iPhone bezel is quite small. That's because you don't need your thumb to brace the device. So, a large bezel isn't automatically necessary -- it depends on the device heft.

arn

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
The bezel size depends on the size/weight of the thing. the iPhone bezel is quite small. That's because you don't need your thumb to brace the device. So, a large bezel isn't automatically necessary -- it depends on the device heft.

arn

A 7" device is not held like an iPhone though. Not even close!

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
i just dont get this...

does the world really need a smaller iPad?

Sure Apple tell us every year what we actually want....but im not sure we need this.

Im sure they will sell really well initially, but im pretty sure after a good run of sales, the full size iPad eat up all the sales.

Its a stupid product. Why design a tablet, tell the world how mazing everything is this size in your hand, then later on say, actually we can do it smaller too..

Its still too big to fit in a pocket, or too big to be a phone+, so whats the point in it exactly?

People with smaller hands lol?

Putzi360

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2010
My guess is, it might replace the iPod Touch as a gaming machine.
Since there are no rumors about new Ipod Touches, maybe the line will run out or will at least cease to evolve.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
i just dont get this...

Sure Apple tell us every year what we actually want....but im not sure we need this.

Im sure they will sell really well initially, but im pretty sure after a good run of sales, the full size iPad eat up all the sales.

Its a stupid product. Why design a tablet, tell the world how mazing everything is this size in your hand, then later on say, actually we can do it smaller too..

Its still too big to fit in a pocket, or too big to be a phone+, so whats the point in it exactly?

Perfect size for a woman's handbag though, current iPad too big for most... That's a pretty big market.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
IR sensor

I was thinking a dual microphone but your idea has merit. A IR port would make this device an ideal TV remote among other things but it would be the first time for an IR port. Hope it has it.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
i just dont get this...

This is exactly why you're not on Apple's product design team. Obviously there are a ton of people who want an e-reader sized device. You're views are not the same as the other millions of Apple consumers.

I mean, why are there different sized computers? different sized iPods? different sized everything.....

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
It's quite interesting that Apple (if the product is even released) has allowed the bezel to be that slim, because when you imagine holding it, your thumb would likely cover the edge of the screen. I'm guessing that this is their way to, if you like, differentiate the iPad Mini as a more e-reading friendly/mobile device from the original iPad, as the bezel and design for the speaker grill/dock connector is almost identical to the new iPhone.

Although, we may even see the same design cues used for the standard iPad...

If the device is much lighter then I suppose you don't need quite so much bezel to grip onto. Your thumb wouldn't need to wrap around to the front quite so much.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I'll believe it when I see it.

This. ^^

Lower expectations mean less disappointment.

On the other hand I love watching people get all revved up over rumors and then implode on the Interwebs because their imaginary device either didnt release or didn't meet their hyped up expectations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.