Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AllThingsD reports that Apple has issued a statement responding to this week's leak of one million unique device identifiers (UDIDs) for iOS devices, noting that it did not provide the FBI with the information. An FBI computer was claimed by the hackers to be the source of the information, but the FBI has denied any involvement in the situation.
"The FBI has not requested this information from Apple, nor have we provided it to the FBI or any organization. Additionally, with iOS 6 we introduced a new set of APIs meant to replace the use of the UDID and will soon be banning the use of UDID," Apple spokesperson Natalie Kerris told AllThingsD.
With the AntiSec hackers claiming to be in possession of 12 million UDIDs as well as additional personal information tied to some of the numbers, it remains unclear exactly where the data came from.

ipad_udid.jpg

Apple has been working to phase out use of the UDID, creating new tools to allow developers to track usage of their apps on a per-device basis. With the UDID being a universal identifier, it has been used by advertisers and others to collect information across apps and other usage to develop user profiles for marketing persons, and Apple's new system will seek to improve user privacy.

Article Link: Apple Responds to UDID Leak, Says Did Not Provide Data to FBI

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
so how did they get the data if apple didn't give it to them?

Glad to hear a new system is in the works.

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
Maybe from a carrier? Or a raid on third party service that had UDID hashes stored?

The good news is that the leak contained almost no personal information - basically just the UDID and device name. But still.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
On the other hand, would Apple publicly say, "Yeah, we gave the FBI 12,000,000 UDIS's ?

"WE" Shall never know.

Unless the FBI steps in and owns up, if you think that would happen?

spb3

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2012
Come on you spokes people. what did REALLY happened?
Did Angry Birds steal info?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Maybe from an app developer . It would have to be an app that was downloaded 12 million times.

That is my best guess as well. If the FBI nor Apple had anything to do with it, the next logical source would be an app developer. Which now leads us to wonder what app(s) specifically could be the source.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Apple's denial about stupid stuff like the Mac ads aired during the Olympics make them lose credibility about important stuff like this. I'm not saying they're lying here, but I could trust them more if they were more honest in general.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland

This is the US of A, after all, the "land of the free" with Patriot Acts galore.

A classic case of "plausible deniability" - what else would they say to the public? Or do you think agencies like the CIA also admit publicly to having secret prisons all over the world?

"Oh yes, we got this information as part of our secret national security efforts"?

Gimme a break, Sirs. Hackers are the harmless factor here; it's the FBI and other illegally-mandated agencies that have a lot to respond to the usually-benighted US citizens. And I am sure we will still read here some supportive comments stating that "No problem, they must have had some fine reason for doing so; after all, they fight every day to save our poor lives".

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
On the other hand, would Apple publicly say, "Yeah, we gave the FBI 12,000,000 UDIS's ?

"WE" Shall never know.

Unless the FBI steps in and owns up, if you think that would happen?

Actually it would be perfectly fine for Apple to say so, as they are legally subject to such authorities' abusive demands/subpoenas anyway.

yakapo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
At&t hands EVERYTHING to the NSA. This isn't some sort of conspiracy. Watch the youtube videos with the former NSA agent.

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
I 've the feeling you are right! :)

1)They are the number one downloaded app of all time.
2)they have so much personal data of yours that it will make your head spin.

Imagine facial recognition software. Now imagine it with a database of self varified(tagged)photos in their system. We gave them everything they needed to create profiles on all of us. I am completely aware of how conspiracy theorist this sounds. I'm my opinion, Facebook is very dangerous. If I knew then what I know now I would never have signed up for an account. We basically gave them the keys to the castle.
It might not be facebook directly. Maybe an employee collecting information for different agencies.

<joke>maybe it's ancient aliens</joke>

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
1)They are the number one downloaded app of all time.
2)they have so much personal data of yours that it will make your head spin.

Imagine facial recognition software. Now imagine it with a database of self varified(tagged)photos in their system. We gave them everything they needed to create profiles on all of us. I am completely aware of how conspiracy theorist this sounds. I'm my opinion, Facebook is very dangerous. If I knew then what I know now I would never have signed up for an account. We basically gave them the keys to the castle.
It might not be facebook directly. Maybe an employee collecting information for different agencies.

Isn't there a google app too ?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
These appear to be fairly ordinary push-related records that an iOS developer might have used; is that correct? And what do a lot of developers also have? That’s right! Three names. I think some guy with the initials F.B.I. needs to secure his laptop better.

Meanwhile, immature hackers need to do better fact-checking: this seems like the kind of shoddy work I’d expect from some kind of journalist or something!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.