Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last year, when MobileMe transitioned from a pay-service to the the free iCloud, Apple gave an additional 20 GB of storage to former MobileMe subscribers as a thank you. The bonus storage beyond the standard 5 GB included free of charge with iCloud was supposed to be downgraded at the end of September, but in an email today, Apple said it extended the complimentary storage for an additional year, to September 30, 2013.

Inbox----iCloud-201-messages.jpg
When you moved your MobileMe account to iCloud, we provided you with a complimentary storage upgrade beyond the standard 5GB that comes with an iCloud account to help you with the transition. Originally, this storage upgrade was set to expire on September 30, 2012.

As a thank you to our former MobileMe members, we will continue to provide you with this complimentary storage upgrade at no charge, for an additional year, until September 30, 2013. No action is required on your part. For complete details, please read this article.

Thank you again for using iCloud,

iCloud Team
Apple notes that users received either 10 GB, 20 GB, or 50 GB of additional storage -- on top of iCloud's standard 5 GB -- depending on the amount of MobileMe storage the user was paying for when the service transitioned to iCloud.

Article Link: Apple Gives Additional Year of Increased iCloud Storage to Former MobileMe Members

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
What about 2050?

****, mine expires on September 30 2013 as well. :|

As Gruber pointed out the other day 5GB is too less. The base should be increased to 10GB or even more.

I've just two devices — my iPhone4S and iPad 1.0 (that I don't use). Their backup itself is approximately 1.5GB. If I were using my iPad 1.0, it would have been around 3GB in total.

I think Apple seriously needs to push the storage or backup limit or simply don't count backup in the storage as it is backend provided in the services.

Mebsat

macrumors regular
May 19, 2003
Florida
Translation

Our cloud engineers couldn't figure out how to do the migration correctly, so since it doesn't really cost us much, keep it for another year.

It sure beats listening to everyone freak out when we delete all your data, instead of just the extra stuff.

atomwork

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach
I noticed a few days ago that my iCloud account still showed the full GB space. I personally feel they should offer at least 15 to 25GB free. The ipad and iphone backups are huge. If apple wants me to use iCloud further it would be a good sign. I loved MobileMe and it's services.

alecolife

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2012
the 25gb is pretty worthless to me without iDisk access. Im currently using .02GB and have 24.98 free

Exactly ,there most be a way to use those 25gigs like iDisk, I mean I prefer apple forgets about photo stream I don't need that I need something like iDisk which will ensure all my data on the cloud

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
should get at least 5gbs per iOS device you own/use!

Exactly! Since Apple devices come at a premium cost, 5 gb per device seems really reasonable. As it is, I can backup only my iPhone or my iPad to the cloud, but not both because that would exceed the 5 gb limit. If I were to buy an additional iDevice, I'd be out of luck for that one too.

Apple keeps track of how many devices are registered to your Apple ID; it couldn't be hard to link storage to the device ID as well as the Apple ID.

simon360

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2007
Wait... so, I paid for the upgrade a week or two ago, since I didn't want my data to be deleted. Can I now get a refund?

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
I had mine extended for another year...but I also for various reasons had several years of MobileMe already paid for so this isn't really a bonus yet.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Wait... so, I paid for the upgrade a week or two ago, since I didn't want my data to be deleted. Can I now get a refund?

I don't know what you are talking about?

Were you MobileMe member? If not, then this doesn't apply to you anyway.

If you were, like I was, you would have already been on your MobileMe limit for the last 1 year or so. My limit didn't expire any time and it has been like this since last July. So why would you buy iCloud storage is beyond me?

Care to elaborate?

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
absolutely amazing!

I ticked the box to have it extended but was wondering why they never took any money from me. I didn't get the email but my account states that my account is active for another year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.