Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

newimac-150x111.jpg
With Apple's new iMac going on sale today, the first reviews of the new machine are starting to arrive. The reviews come alongside some early teardown photos and benchmarks offering an early glimpse at Apple's redesigned flagship desktop.

CNET has a thorough review of the 27-inch model, which won't be shipping to customers for several more weeks, noting that while the design is the major change to the machine, iterative improvements on already impressive performance-related specs keep the iMac in solid position.
You might be alarmed by the fact that the design is the most interesting thing about the new iMac. A thin bezel is nice to look at, but it doesn't improve processing speed, workflow, or overall utility. Fortunately for Apple, it evolved that design from a computer with a strong technical foundation. It is the updates to that foundation, and a few points of polish along the way, that keep this iMac on elite footing.
CNET's review machine, a souped-up $2599 model with 3.4 GHz Core i7 processor, 1 TB Fusion Drive, and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX graphics, performed quite well in benchmark tests and features Apple's new display lamination process that greatly reduces reflectivity. The new iMac compares relatively favorably to Dell's XPS One 27 in many respects, with the Dell's touch capabilities and Blu-ray drive perhaps being significant factors in its favor for some users.

The Verge has also reviewed both sizes of the new iMac and was similarly impressed by the new display process being used by Apple.
The IPS panels are the same as in last year's iMacs, but they're better integrated now -- Apple says that by laminating the display to the glass it reduced reflections up to 70 percent, and indeed the glare problems that beset so many displays are much less present here, though there's still some reflection and glare. The improved manufacturing also makes whatever's on the screen feel closer to you, almost like things are jumping out of the panel. The display's glossy bezel, which houses its HD FaceTime camera, is actually the most reflective part of the whole machine now.

I have to say, I was really surprised to see how much better the screen could be without a single change to the actual technology -- but hey, I guess plastic surgery can work wonders. Both screens have fantastic color reproduction, are remarkably (like, blindingly) bright, and have near-180-degree viewing angles.
Overall, The Verge gives both iMac models scores of 9.0, noting that it is "still the best all-in-one device out there" but suggesting that the door is open for Windows 8 machines integrating advanced features like touchscreens and media center software to compete strongly with the iMac.

Article Link: Early iMac Reviews Praise Design and Display Enhancements

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem too ergonomic to have a touchscreen for a desktop. a tablet.. yes.. but desktop my arms would have to keep hovering in the air frequently to do tasks if i were to really forego the traditional keyboard/mouse

alfistas

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
Helios Prime
CNET's review machine, a souped-up $2599 model with 3.4 GHz Core i7 processor, 1 TB Fusion Drive, and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX graphics, performed quite well in benchmark tests and features Apple's new display lamination process that greatly reduces reflectivity. The new iMac compares relatively favorably to Dell's XPS One 27 in many respects, with the Dell's touch capabilities and Blu-ray drive perhaps being significant factors in its favor for some users.

Surely that price can't be right! The same system costs 2.649,00 euros ($3.444,79) in Germany... :eek:

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem too ergonomic to have a touchscreen for a desktop. a tablet.. yes.. but desktop my arms would have to keep hovering in the air frequently to do tasks if i were to really forego the traditional keyboard/mouse

That is the entire premise of windows 8, touch for the sake of itself. Not because you need it, or because its the right tool for the job, rather because it's touch and that's awesome, ignore that it makes simple tasks on a traditional computer less intuitive and more time consuming.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
Desktop with mobile graphics?

I'd still prefer to have a slightly bigger machine with desktop-level graphics instead of a mobile GPU. :(

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Surely that price can't be right! The same system costs 2.918,00 euros ($3.794,68) in Germany... :eek:

I'm afraid it can be right.
The price in US$ is tax-free, and Apple always had a thing for screwing non-Americans.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem too ergonomic to have a touchscreen for a desktop.

The point is the option is there if you want it. I have an iPad in a stand next to my monitor, and often after tapping on it find myself tapping on the Mac's screen - not so much because it's comfortable, but it's the natural action under the circumstances and intentions. If having a touchscreen entails negligible (if not zero) cost & space, why not have it? there if you want it, don't use it if you don't.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Surely that price can't be right! The same system costs 2.649,00 euros ($3.444,79) in Germany... :eek:

Yep, it is.

That's assuming you don't upgrade the RAM to 16 GB, which would add $200, or up to 32 GB, which would add $600.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

It's not you. It's common sense, and exactly why Apple has _not_ entertained the idea of a touch-screen computer. That said, as people use touch more on tablets and phones, the expectation to touch the screen on regular computers is growing. I've even found myself trying to interact with the screen on my laptop only to realize that I wasn't using my iPad. hahaha

Macs will eventually have a touch-screen monitor, simply to stay in line with consumer expectations, but the time is not right just yet.

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
/ Sarcasm .. Doesn't the editor know he can build a better desktop with 1/2 the price :p

I'm thinking bout buying a Mac mini or a rmbp .. any advice guys ???
I am also considering the Air as I don't do much heavy work . just work related reports

I've gone through 3 hps in the past 3 years , rubbish build quality as the screen always lets go . How is the build quality on the air as opposed to the mbp?

Appreciate the advise :)

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
but suggesting that the door is open for Windows 8 machines integrating advanced features like touchscreens and media center software to compete strongly with the iMac.

Touchscreen on a desktop is possibly one of the dumbest ideas ever. No one wants to be lifting their arms at work for hours on end. Talk about soreness and muscle fatigue! It's a novelty gimick only. Its in no way practical. Mouse is still the fastest interface with current OSs and screen positioning. The only way touch screen is practice is when the screen is in your hands or near your hands like on a flat surface directly in front of you. Then you have a head down position which will cause even more back and neck problems.

It's not practical.

WorldTravelBro

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
Purchased 3 fully loaded iMacs. 1 27 for me and 2 21 inchers for my 8 year old twin daughters (they hate sharing).

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Touchscreen on a desktop is possibly one of the dumbest ideas ever. No one wants to be lifting their arms at work for hours on end. Talk about soreness and muscle fatigue! It's a novelty gimick only. Its in no way practical. Mouse is still the fastest interface with current OSs and screen positioning. The only way touch screen is practice is when the screen is in your hands or near your hands like on a flat surface directly in front of you. Then you have a head down position which will cause even more back and neck problems.

It's not practical.

That's why Dell's computer has special stand that folds. It does not go completely horizontal but it folds like this:

a5hj-460.jpg

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
Considering the profile is invisible when the thing is in front of you, I would have much preferred they cut off the chin and kept it "thick".

The thing I'm most interested in learning about the new design is how quiet they (hopefully) are.

Renzatic

Suspended
That's why Dell's computer has special stand that folds. It does not go completely horizontal but it folds like this:

Or this...

cintiq-24hd-touch-1-s.jpg

...which is the second time I've posted this picture today, in response to the same tired argument.

Most people griping about monkey arms or whatever are only doing so because Steve Jobs said something back in the day, and now they're regurgitating it nonstop in an attempt to look smart.

You know, he was right...when it comes to vertically standing monitors. But for screens you can slide right in front of you and tilt back? There's no reason not to have them touch enabled. They'll be as comfortable to use as an iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.