15.4 in mbp 2.4 ghz a better choice for video editing than summer 09 models?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mannymo1, Aug 19, 2009.

1. mannymo1 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone! Im ready to get a new macbook pro for video editing. I plan to use the new final cut studio(3) and was wondering which would probably be the best machine...

15.4 in mbp 2.4ghz model MB470LL/A

or

the new 15.4 in mbp 2.66ghz

or

Recommendations on a budget of about $1800

I've heard that the summer 09 models fall short because they dont have the expresscard slot(with the exception of the 17in) so that's why I'm leaning towards the earlier model with the addition of a nice external HD.

I edit HD footage from my canon hv30 also if that's important.

So any imput would be great! Also has anyone purchased anything from powermax.com because they have the 15.4 inch 2.4ghz model that I was considering. Well, anyway I appreciate any comments

2. ClivePwned macrumors member

If it where me, I'd get the newer model with the faster clock and Firewire 800. Yes you could have e-sata with express in the older model but for a HDV camcorder, FW800 should be fine (you'll need a Firewire 400-800 adaptor)

3. tri3limited macrumors 6502

I'd try and find an old one clocked at 2.66Ghz so I could expand it with an MXO2 in the future (which I did today!).

Either way go for an older one with the External PCIe. SD Card is technically speaking slower than USB so what the hell is the point in a dedicated slot for it!!

Rotten Apple for removing PCIe.

4. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Go for the express card slot. I have the last of the "classic" models and it edits hdv and HD just fine. My camera records to express cards so thats a huge benefit for me. The sd slot is basically useless compared to the express card slot

5. cube macrumors G5

March 2009 2.66 or 2.93. These take 8 GiB RAM.