15.4-inch Powerbooks Ramping Up?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Digitimes reports that Compal Electronics will be producing the first 15.4" wide-screen notebooks from Apple Computer.

According to sources, Compal will start shipping 15.4-inch wide-screen PowerBooks for Apple in the second half of this year, with initial monthly shipments estimated at 30,000-40,000 units.
No details regarding the processor utilized are provided in this report. Rumors of 15" PowerBook updates have been filtering in since January... with more reports emerging recently. MacRumors' Buyersguide recommendation has been updated to reflect the expectations of imminent updates. A few reports have pointed in the same direction. Again, one site claims 970 PowerBooks in production at this time, but has had a poor reliability record and should be taken with an appropriate amount of skepticism.

joed

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2002
Budapest, Hungary
Arn, is this based on the story I submitted a few hours ago?

If the Powerbook 15.4" did sport a 970 chip, the sales for the 12" and 17" would drop off sharpley. Don't think Apple could afford to do this with two new products.

Time will tell, only just over a week to go :)

EDIT: Thanks Arn!

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Originally posted by MacsRgr8
Hmmmm PPC 970???? <wish>
well.. perhaps.
the site says that compal will only start shipping the displays in second half of the year.
By there, perhaps the 970 is ready...
*Wishing, Hoping, Dreaming, Praying* :D

[edit]
added the quote...
[/edit]

astray

macrumors member
May 9, 2003
uk
Is it me or is the second half the year July onwards, so it should hopefully not be too far away.

richard5mith

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2002
The second half of the year does indeed start in just a few weeks time.

But if the 970's are in the 15", they have to be in the 12" and 17" too.

djtet

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2003
Charleston, SC
It all comes down to WWDC...

We'll have to just wait and see...

Plus, if apple doesn't make any announcements of a 970 chip, everyone will be very dissappointed and just in shock...

if apple makes an announcement about the 970 in any of their machines, but does not say when it will be available then everyone will wait for the new 970 machines (and nobody will buy a g4 system)...

even if apple only announces the 970 powermac, people will feel that the powerbooks are not too far off and wait for the 970 powerbook (and nobody will buy a g4 powerbook)...

the only way apple can win is if they announce immediate availability of ALL apple systems with the new 970 chip!:D

kwameaj

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2003
Osaka, Japan
I've often wondered why Apple slashed the price on the 12in model. I can understand it in the case of the 15.2in one - it's been a while since they modified it so MAYBE an update is in the pipeline.

Are the 12in ones also going to get speed bumps - let's say to 1Ghz? Or they reduced the prices just to boost sales? I hear they are selling really well despite the heat issue.

dietsoda

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2003
Bath, UK
12 Inches

there's no reason that the 12" PB needs to be updated to a 970 (G5), just the 17". The 12" PB will always have it's VERY small form factor to sell it, and with pricing not much higher than the iBook, it fits more as a top of the line ibook than a bottom of line powerbook.

The 12" and the 17" are kinda speciality products anyway. The 12" has a poor resolution, so is really best suited to web, email and office type usage. The 17" has a good resolution for design, video and audio, but it's HUGE and heavy.

So I see no problem with...

G3 iBooks
G4 Mini PowerBook (12")
G5 Powerbooks (15.4", 17")

But then this is Apple, so who knows.

MetallicPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2003
NC, USA
Is Compal producing the first 15.4" notebooks from Apple, or producing the first 15.4" screens for notebooks from Apple? Anyway I agree with the person above me.

centauratlas

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
970 in 15?

To me it makes no sense for Apple to have waited between Jan and the end of June (6 months) just to update it to the equivalent to the 12 and 17 in terms of features (eg. AirPort Extreme etc).

1. 6 months is WAY to long to wait merely to clear out the channel.
2. The engineering work crosses over from the 12 and 17 so I doubt that is the issue.
3. Apple has to know that plenty of people would want to have at least AP Extreme on it among other things. When the 12 and 17 sport better features than the 15, Apple knows people compare.

The *only* thing that makes sense is that it was held 6 months for some reason, whether for the 970 or something else, I don't know. But I would be really surprised if Apple merely speed-bumped the 12 and 17 and introduced the 15 somewhere in the middle.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
If they come out with a 970 powerbook, I'm going to have to sell my 1 ghz G4 15" Powerbook. Maybe I'll wait until the second generation... Ohhh, I'm salivating.

chazmox

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
I don't necessarily agree with the comment that Apple "can't afford to obsolete the 12 inch and 17 inch" by releasing a 970 15' PB. The increase in sales generated by the new architecture would more than offset the loss in sales in the 12 and 17. Most of Apple's sales in any product come in the first few months of introduction; therefore, staggered releases help smooth out the revenue spikes.

Also, it would seem to me that a 1 GHz G4 Al PB would almost be a let down in performance and, with the perceived heat issues of AL*, a 1.25 GHz G4 seems unlikely. If it is a 1 GHz G4, why'd they wait so long???

A technology company always wants to obsolete it's own products before the competition does!

There is some validity in the argument for the 17 inch model being upgraded; however, they may announce it soon after with a delayed release date.

Then again, I have some doubts on the 970 PB due to other reasons. Noteably, that it would seem that the PM series would be updated before the 15 PB and not at the same time.

* I say perceived because it seems that the computer does not run hotter - it just seems that way because AL is such an efficient conductor.

The Shadow

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Re: 970 in 15?

Originally posted by centauratlas
To me it makes no sense for Apple to have waited between Jan and the end of June (6 months) just to update it to the equivalent to the 12 and 17 in terms of features (eg. AirPort Extreme etc).

The *only* thing that makes sense is that it was held 6 months for some reason, whether for the 970 or something else, I don't know.
Totally agree.

That's not to say the PB 970 will happen soon, just that if it doesn't, it will be stupid of Apple to have waited so long to just update the 15"PB to the 12" and 17" specs etc.

BTW, how reliable is the Digiwhatever site? Anyone know?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
powerbooks

If the 15.4" doesn't have a 970 processor in it, then hopefully apple will introduce them 6 months down the line.

Assuming the next revision of PowerMacs sport a 970 processor, Apple cannot expect powerbooks to sell very well if the PBs still have a G4 in it. Just the 'mental' jump (i.e., people's perception) between a G4 and 970 - being faster and 64 bit is just too much to go out and spend $4K (canadian) on 'last' years technology, IMO.

Slightly off topic - but some people are claiming that 17" Powerbooks are selling poorly?

Are there any figures to back this up?
Or is this just ppl talking bollocks?!

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Originally posted by maradong
well.. perhaps.
the site says that compal will only start shipping the displays in second half of the year.
By there, perhaps the 970 is ready...
*Wishing, Hoping, Dreaming, Praying* :D

[edit]
added the quote...
[/edit]
what i mean is that second half of the year is starting next month,. but if the pb would be presented at the WWDC, they would probably already have begun with the assemblage of the pieces no ?

dietsoda

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2003
Bath, UK
Slightly off topic - but some people are claiming that 17" Powerbooks are selling poorly?

Are there any figures to back this up?
Or is this just ppl talking bollocks?!
I thought that the 17" PBs were selling really well?

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
If they update the 15in, they will also update the others as well. The 12in is down in price so it will be updated. The only reason the 17in has not been reduced in price is because Apple says it is still selling very well. Although if they put a PPC970 in the 15in, they will have to put one in the 17in, but they might just put a faster G4 in the 12in.

areyouwishing

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2003
Utah
Im starting to think that apple will kill the ibook line completely...at least its current form....the 12" powerbook will replace it...maybe under the ibook name, maybe not. They will come out with a 14" AiBook...and those will now make up the low end....and they will have G4's. The only problem I see with this is the bad power consumption of the G4...i think that is the one thing that could be a problem.

tkulla

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2003
15" to 17" 970

Assuming for a moment that the 15.4" 970 PB is imminent...

1) 12" sales should not suffer, since it's main appeal is form factor and not power.

2) 17" sales would definitely suffer, as it would lose it's place atop the lineup and hence some of the "cool" factor. However, it should be fairly easy for Apple to quickly update the 17" by using the 15" motherboard, right? It has a larger case so there are no space issues, unlike with the 12".

Here's hoping!

Tony

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Hopefully the ramp-up will mean Steve will announce at WWDC that the PowerBooks should be available now, and at worst available for order now.

Would sort of suck if they got pushed til after for the speed bumps/upgrades with all the people foaming at the mouth waiting for them now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.