15.4'' Retina Macbook Pro (Feb 2013) Temps way too high?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aiyaaabatt, Sep 15, 2013.

1. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Hi,

Just recently purchased a feb 2013 15.4'' rMBP (2.7 i7, 16gb, 512gb) and when I am full screen streaming through flash via Chrome or Safari, my rMBP temps jump to 95-100c! (after only 1-2 minutes!)! Doesn't matter if I am on battery or A/C, and doesn't matter if I am using iGPU only, or dGPU only. If I switch out of full screen flash streaming, my temps range from 80-90c, which still seem ridiculous.

This has to be way too high right?

Should I be concerned? Have any of you 15.4'' rMBP users experienced similarly while streaming flash? Does the rMBP just run really hot to begin with? If I am just doing web browsing or light-medium tasks, my temps range from 45-70c. Seems like flash just kills it.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.
    The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)
    Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.
    It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.
    Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis), or 1200 for the newest MBAs. Older iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range, while the newest iMacs have a single fan, spinning at a minimum of about 1400 rpm. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)
    The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best. For Flash-related issues:

3. vpro, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

You best do this too...

Same here. The ONLY real solution is to keep sending it back to them until you get one that doesn't do that. I sent back 3 before I got one that was warm but never scorching hot just 2 min into a low quality video. When those fans get going - woah, they are louder than my two 17"MBPs combined and my husband's snoring too.

Eventually I sold it and picked up the 13incher retina macbook maxed out i7 model. Much better machine for the buck!!!

All the best to you, don't worry, just return it and complain really loudly and consistently they'll get it.

This is the only solution out there. Otherwise, do as some on the forum have done, tear it down and replace the heatsyncs etc etc etc. I wouldn't do it myself, I'd pay one of the guys on here to do that for me.

PS: There IS such a thing as inferior quality control and inferior assembly, faulty lazy work by over tired i-slaves, just saying. Sometimes mistakes happen and a poor batch make it into the sales racks right? You can be sure of this fact.

4. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

you've now learned that Flash and OSX don't get along.

5. skirmisser macrumors member

There is something definitely horribly wrong! Use also Imagican to verify the temp readings.

Even with everything on full CPU rarely crosses 70C. Take it to a retail store or return for service if you are indeed getting temperatures like this while browsing...

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is not uncommon at all for temps to rise well above 70C when browsing sites with Flash content. It is not an indication that anything is wrong.

7. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

I have the exact same model and mine runs the same temps when youtubing with chrome. Its a lot cooler with Safari. I dont like the temps either. I repasted which only saved 1-5 degrees. But when using chrome, it eventually settles out in the the mid 90s

8. skirmisser macrumors member

I am not saying over 70 is bad. But 100 is definitely not right. Thermal paste issue perhaps? Not sure, but I would take it for service.

----------

Btw please all make sure we are using Celsius since the original poster did...

9. red321red321 macrumors regular

I have pretty much the same temps and I also think it is too high. My previous Retina did NOT run this hot.

10. aiyaaabatt thread starter macrumors 6502

My temps reach 100c when streaming flash videos in Mac OS (10.8.5) (both on Chrome, and Safari).

When I stream the exact same video through windows 8 via parallels 9 (on same browser, Chrome), my temps reach 80c maximum. I am thinking this is software related and Mac OS X does not like whatever flash player I am streaming through.

I am going to reapply thermal paste tonight and I will report back any differences that I notice.

FYI, just general web browsing, my temps never reach more than 75c, and they are at around 55-65c average. I have idle temps at ~45c.

11. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Install flashblock (google chrome extension) and see if it helps.

It has really helped me.

12. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Its more that the flash player for the mac is crappy, why adobe won't fix it is only a subject of conjecture. I routinely us a flash blocker plug in and try to find HTML5 or QT versions of the videos before resorting to the flash player. They are usually easy to find, and for those sites that make it difficult, we just don't visit them. Less hits, less ad revenue... someday they may get the message.

13. powerslave12r macrumors 6502a

Why would you do that? Why not take it to Apple since it's a 2013 machine and thus still under warranty?

14. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

If you have any doubts just take it over to apple they will do a cooling system diagnostic test. While i was at the service centre for an issue i casually asked the engineer about these temperatures as mine goes up while exporting my fcp videos or logic projects. He told me its normal if there was an issue with the cooling system it will shut down to prevent damages. He ran the cooling test which checks fan speeds and if it gets rid of heat properly. It passed all. He also told me to bring temperatures down a bit to ensure the vents at the side are free from any obstruction.
    Other then this he said 1or 2 out of 10 macs have over heating problems.
    I asked him about reapplying thermal paste to which he said they can only apply the amount what apple states on their technicians guide.

15. Doward macrumors 6502a

Your temps should not exceed 95C, once stabilized. A quick jump to 97C or so is ok, but 100C is absolutely not ok.

16. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

What's the ambient temp in the room, and what surface do you use your MacBook on? Because Flash is notorious for preforming worse on OSX than on Windows, so 100C when streaming Flash videos isn't all that out-of-the-ordinary. It's definitely not good, but there probably isn't anything wrong with your Mac.

17. aiyaaabatt thread starter macrumors 6502

Ambient temps are ~27-28c. I use it on a flat, glass surface.

I am getting temps of 100-103c playing flash videos. And I am getting temps of 100-103c playing Heroes of Newerth. What is just as alarming is that my GPU temps run 85-88c while playing HoN... which is way too high. HoN is not even that graphic intensive. What the hell?

The above temperatures were observed when my macbook retina resolution scaling was set for "More Space (highest res)" option. I notice that when I change it to "Best (for Retina)" resolution, then streaming flash videos only produces temperatures of ~80-85c... which is a solid improvement. However, I still get ~100c cpu and ~85-88c gpu temps while playing HoN at that resolution... ugh