15 cMBP £1799 or 15 rMBP £1799?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by barebackbadger8, Nov 7, 2012.

1. barebackbadger8 macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

Hi just looking on apple store
    Now in the uk the cMBP for £1799 comes with i7 2.6 cpu and 750gb hdd and 1gb gpu
    But the rMBP Is same price but you get the retina screen, 256gb ssd but i7 2.3 cpu
    Now i would get the 16gb so that adds the same on both
    So surely the rMBP is much better value?
    But im worried about the problems with the retina screen, so can u use the screen at say the same max resolution of the cMBP if need be?

2. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Yes.

I'd opt for the Retina model out of those two.

3. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: rMBP/cMBP...

Hi barebackbadger8,

In my opinion, it all depends on what you plan on using the machine for. For instance, if you do CPU intensive tasks (data analysis), then a 2.6GHz i7 will be faster than a 2.3GHz i7. But if your tasks Read/Write to the disk a lot, then the SSD will be about 5 times faster than the HDD for large amounts of data transfer. If you need to have extraordinarily large data sets with you at all times, then the 750 GB HDD will serve you much better than a 256 GB SSD with external USB3 drive. If you carry your laptop around with you a lot, then 4.46 lbs versus 5.6 lbs actually does make a difference. If you create/edit/render videos a lot, then the Retina screen is magnificent and beautiful, but if you actually do do a lot of video/high resolution photography, then you probably want an external display for this work anyway. In addition, and perhaps somewhat surprising, some folks find reading text on the Retina screen far superior than reading text on the cMBP's screen (I'm one of these - and I've owned both machines). If you want to upgrade the machine at some point in the future, the cMBP is the way to go. If you don't like to wait 30-45 seconds for your machine to boot, then the 7-12 seconds for the rMBP is nice. If you don't mind spending the money, the rMBP with 2.7GHz i7, 16 GB SDRAM, and 768 GB SSD is extremely difficult to beat -- but of course for that much money you can build/buy one heck of a gaming PC that weighs in at around 10 lbs and can heat a doublewide. So, you see, it all depends on what your uses will be and what you personally care about. The Retina screen, all by itself, is worth the extra cost to me, but then I'm an antediluvian troglodyte whose eyes need to be protected so they don't wear out before their time.

Regards, and have fun with whichever machine you choose,
    Switon

P.S. I wouldn't worry too much about the "problems with the retina screen", as the problems posted to fora (such as MacRumors) are, of course, a very biased sampling of all rMBP owners. I believe most owners are quite satisfied/happy with their retina screens. And even if you are one of the unlucky ones, Apple has a more-than-generous return/exchange policy.