15" (Early 2011) Unibody Macbook Pro display problem.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bameronski, Jul 22, 2013.

1. bameronski macrumors newbie

Posted this on Reddit's techsupport subreddit but got no response, I imagine this is probably a better place to ask.

Hi there,

I've got a 2.2Ghz Intel Core i7 Macbook Pro with 4GB of RAM and an AMD Radeon HD6750M 1024MB. I'm running the latest Lion update (10.8.4).
    I was using my laptop, as I usually do, with it on my lap whilst lying on the sofa. Went to go and get a tasty beverage so closed the lid, put the laptop down on the sofa and before I could react the laptop slid off the sofa and the (from a birds eye perspective) top-left underside corner of the Mac hit the floor.

I immediately freaked out and opened the lid to find that the screen now has a permanent flickering funky green static to it. I've tried rebooting, rebooting in safe mode, changing the gamma and using ColourSync and even tapping the screen lightly in places in the hope it will magically fix it. I should mention that the laptop functions fine otherwise. I am 99% sure it is a hardware issue. I'm hoping I can open it up and just fiddle with the connectors to the display, if not I'll have to replace the LCD or (correct me if I'm wrong) the motherboard (as it could be a problem with that). I'm out of AppleCare (so not letting them charge me £500 for a replacement) and not near a technician so that's not really an option.

I'm UK based so have looked at potentially buying this if I need to replace the screen, again correct me if I'm wrong.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Bam

Here is a photo if it helps.

2. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

seems to me like the connection got loose. do try removing and reinserting it with extreme caution but do remove the battery connector from the logic board first.