$15 for 2MB of data on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xgm541, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

My father recently acquired my iphone 4. He is on the 200MB plan. His philosophy is that if you have 200MB, and you pay to use 200MB, why not use all of it?

Our billing cycle ends the 9th of every month. On the 2nd he was about 50% into his 200MB. So he decided to stream his radio station since he wanted to use what he was paying for. When he got the 90% warning text which happened the 8th he turned off the data on his iphone and stopped streaming.

The 9th, at 11:45AM he received a text from AT&T claiming he had used over 100% of his 200MB and will be billed $15 for another 200MB allowance. Remember, his cellular data is turned off at this point. And on top of that, our billing cycle ends about 12 hours after this text was received.

On the website it shows he used 202 out of 400 MB. Now, because AT&T's data usage is back logged, it is impossible to use all the data one pay's for. It is also outrageous that we are required to pay $15 for a 12 hour window where supposedly 2MB of data was used.

Sigh.

2. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Sucks, but all you really can do is call them up and ask if they'll take back the charge.

Then either way, learn from the mistake and don't repeat it.

3. Xgm541 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its not even about the $15, its not a lot of money. Its just HOW they go about milking money.

4. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

It's in the contract. If you go over your data allowance, you get another block of 200MB instead of being charged for each MB over the data plan. It's the same on the iPad 3Gs.

5. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

Be that as it may, no company is out there to help out the little guy, they're in it for the money.

Call ATT up and ask them politely to remove the charge. This has happened multiple times on my mom's Blackberry with ATT and they've always taken the charge off. Their CS Reps are super nice... well the ones that I talk with :)

PS: Better to go into your nearest ATT Store and complain politely, it's easily removed.

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

I don't understand why people think it is outrageous to have to pay for a service that they used and agreed to pay for. AT&T probably sends out their usage emails at a set time during the day from a report that was generated earlier in the day. By the time he got the 90% email he was more than likely already over his data limit. He new that he had a 200MB limit. It sounds like he should be on the 2GB plan so that he wouldn't have to worry about things like this.

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I agree with this. While I don't agree with AT&T's power over it's users, the 200MB + $15 for an additional 200 is a very simple formula and isn't wrong of them to charge you for it if you go over.

8. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

By asking you (your father) to stick to the terms of the contract you agreed to?

In the world of cellular telephony, there are far worse things that the carriers are doing than this.

9. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

He should stop worrying about using all his data. That's what got him the overage.

10. Nega macrumors newbie

I took my iPhone to AT&T straight talk $45/month plan. I get the same exact coverage and I'm not paying $100/month on my old AT&T plan like a total moron anymore.

I feel your pain on the data. But I agree with other posters. I have great experiences with att customer service and they'll probably help you out as long as you're not yelling at your phone.

11. AlterZgo macrumors member

Exactly. What's the point of trying to max out exactly 200 MB of data usage each month? That's a sure way to eventually use over 200 MB and get hit with the addt'l charge. Seems kinda silly to just stream a radio station simply for the sake of maxing out his usage.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

For only 2MB though? How would you feel if police gave you ticket for going 2 MPH over the limit.

They should include some type of slack or reserve . Like an extra 20MB.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

How are they milking it?
    You went over and they charged you the normal rate they would charge everyone. If you dont know how it works or how much who's fault is it? You want to come that close to the limit and make sure you use the whole 200mb then you're taking that risk. You go over 1MB you will have to pay.

14. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

It is worse than that. Going the equivalent amount over (2/200 = 1%) would be like getting caught going 0.45 mph over in a 45mph zone.

But I agree with others... using data just to max it out is silly

15. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

He really stuck it to AT&T by using up the 100% of his 200mb allotment. :rolleyes:

16. brand macrumors 601

brand

A contract is a contract and the law is the law. It would suck to get a ticket for doing 2MPH over the speed limit but the police have every right to issue a ticket for violating the speed limit. You think AT&T should include some type of additional free data for those users that fail to manage their data correctly? Then those users would be complaining that they got charged for going over 220MB. Somewhere a line has to be drawn and as a user you get to choose where that line is drawn.

17. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Youre probably a no-fun downer in life right?

Its ridiculous they charge full price for a minor overage. Cell companies need to offer pay for wht you use plans. Its criminal

18. brand macrumors 601

brand

Why, he told AT&T that he would pay it? No one forced him the sign the contract, he did it out of his own free will.

You might want to look that word up in the dictionary.

19. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

They aren't milking or stealing your money. that is just how it works it is a computer program not a human going through and charging for going over.

20. NoHo macrumors 6502

Anyone who uses less than 200MB of data a month should probably just get a regular phone instead of a smart phone. You can check email and text on a non-smartphone for a lot cheaper.

21. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

No what they need to do is offer unlimited data like they use to and their tiered options.

This is ultimately screwing the consumers. Whats the point with 200mb of data for a high end smartphone? If your dad does any streaming whatsoever you can kiss 2GB goodbye too.

22. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

The only thing that was outrageous is what he did. To put it bluntly, that was really stupid.

Use the data that you need, does he seriously not have better things to do then try to use up 199.99 MB of data every month so he gets exactly what he is paying for?

I have an unlimited plan, I could easily get away with the 200 MB plan most of the time.. but I don't leave my radio streaming 24/7 just to make sure I get the most out of my unlimited data.

He did something stupid and got burned, luckily it was only $15. Move on and next month he should try using what he actually needs.

23. techguy20 macrumors 6502

Just call AT&T and explain the situation that you disabled data after the first warning.

I'm almost positive they'd be willing to take back the charge.

24. RRNYC macrumors member

Despite the bad rap ATT gets, their customer service is quite reasonable. I'm almost certain they will credit your for this one time issue but I agree with the others, I don't see why anyone would try to get exactly 200mb just because your plan allows it. You have no way of getting exactly 200mb without the risk of going over... which is exactly what happened. The is no grace period of data so why play with fire if you're not willing to get burned?

When he got to 90%, I don't think he shut if off as quickly as he told you. I travel internationally with my iPad and purchase international data plans. When I get the 90% notification, it happens real time however it means that hit 90% when the message was sent... not necessarily when I received the message so if there was a delay with email, I could be well beyond the 90%.

Bottom line is that I don't see a problem with ATT charging as they stated on the contract.

25. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

It's no secret that their data tally lags behind actual usage by anything from a few hours to a couple of days. With that in mind, it's incredibly stupid to try to use up every last kb of data available knowing the consequences if you go just a hair over.