15" i7 matte high res MBP getting 2 hours of battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Meever, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Meever macrumors 6502a

I know the i7 and the high res takes a bit more juice but 2 hours seems way too low....

Half brightness, wifi on, intel gpu only with light browsing....

Not getting the advertised 8-9 hours is one thing but getting 1/4th of it? Is that normal? Am I missing something?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That is ridiculously low. I get 3.5 hours or better on my 5 hour battery

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

@spinnerlys, what exactly is calibrating going to do? It doesn't affect how long the battery actually lasts, just how accurate the time remaining estimation is.

5. emt377 macrumors member

That's incredibly low. I get over 5 hours on my 15" MBP i7. Calibrate the battery and make sure you don't have a process stuck sucking CPU. Especially browser tabs with flash widgets running are prone to do that.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Many who claim they're only getting x hours on their battery aren't really running on battery until it shuts down to determine the time. They're looking at something like Coconut battery or iStat Pro to see the estimated time remaining, assuming it's accurate. Calibrating the battery makes that reading more accurate.

If the OP is, indeed, getting only 2 hours of battery life before it shuts down, calibrating won't affect that.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maybe the reporting is the problem, but it can also be a runaway process, thus my addition of looking at the Activity Monitor.

As there are many threads about battery usage and low battery times, I included a link to MRoogle to find them, as in many of those threads, a calibration solved the reporting issue, and as the OP didn't write, how s/he came upon those hours, I included the question about calibration to make sure, it is either that or it is not that. Just covering the bases, as the thousands of already existing threads do too.

OP, also have a look at iStat Pro or Coconut Battery or System Profiler > Power to see what your health is.