Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timotay89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
There's a small crack in my laptop that I noticed today (see picture below). There's nothing on the screen, just the case there.

I'm guessing that's not normal. Is there something I should do about it or just be careful and leave it like it is? I'm no longer under warranty for the computer, but I can't see having money for a new one until at least 2014.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2601.jpg
    IMG_2601.jpg
    511.8 KB · Views: 87

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
As long as it is working fine I'm guessing it won't be an issue, just make sure to be careful with it, especially the screen. It's probably a lot weaker now so pressure to the screen casing could screw up the LCD, just be careful and you should be alright.

My friends macbook has a few similar cracks (its a white plastic one) and has worked for years afterwards just fine, I'm assuming an aluminum one would be just fine as well.

Very weird, never seen an aluminum one crack like that.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
A month ago someone else here had the same problem. He "fixed" it by gluing a thin metal plate over the broken area to stabilize the screen and prevent further damage.

Option B: Just be careful with the screen, should be fine
Option C: Ask apple how much it would be to repair
Option D: File a class action lawsuit against Apple and get free replacement laptops for all of us :D

Here's the thread with the fix:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1281524/

mfuchs88

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2011
Being as you're out of warranty, not much you can do unless you're willing to pay for a replacement front panel assembly. Just be careful with it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.