Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I'm about to pull the trigger on a current generation non-retina 15" MacBook Pro. Given that, my three question is as follows:

I'm considering buying a clear hard-shell case for this MacBook Pro. Is there any reason why I shouldn't (such as thermal reasons like it being bad for the computer and/or accelerating the deterioration of either the chassis or any internal components)? If not, does anyone have any brand recommendations? In addition to this, I'd like to also find a backpack style laptop bag. Messenger bag style bags hurt my back and make me hate owning a laptop, which I don't want to have happen. Or rather a backpack specifically meant to transport a laptop (like the Brenthaven bags of old). Does anyone have a brand recommendation for something like this?

iLikeTurtles!

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
Yes.

It's useless.

LOL this guy doesnt even back up his accusation

a hard shell isgreat IMO.

It may not protect a mac form drops like a phone case, but it prevents scratches and dents/nicks to the exterior of the mac

had one for a year and it has done its job

MaxPower72

macrumors 6502
couldn't the rigid plastic grips scratch the unibody where the come in contact and rub against each other over a long period of time?

----------

I keep my MBP in a Pelican iM2370 Storm Case with all the accessories and external HDDs placed in custim cut compartments in the foam padding underneath the Macbook.

It still has the smell of "New Electronics" out of the box...

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

It may not protect a mac form drops like a phone case, but it prevents scratches and dents/nicks to the exterior of the mac

Well, to be fair, they don't do much to protect against impact; but frankly, that's not why I'd buy it; I want to protect the exterior of the machine as that aluminum scratches super-easily. I was more asking if there's any reason, such as thermal issues, as to why I shouldn't get one. Otherwise, I'm totally getting one.

couldn't the rigid plastic grips scratch the unibody where the come in contact and rub against each other over a long period of time?

I've never heard of that, but now that you mention it, I'm going to look into it as the whole point of the thing is to prevent scratches to the aluminum.

I keep my MBP in a Pelican iM2370 Storm Case with all the accessories and external HDDs placed in custim cut compartments in the foam padding underneath the Macbook.

It still has the smell of "New Electronics" out of the box...

The Pelican cases are nice, but I'm hoping to find something more Backpack-esque. I figure, I'll put it in a hard shell, use a keyboard cover and such, and then get a backpack-style carrying case so it'll be easier to carry around as I am really over messenger bags or over-the-shoulder bags, or heavy cases. They just hurt my back over time. Plus, the Pelican, I'd imagine, is more money than I can afford for this purpose.

iLikeTurtles!

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
Well, to be fair, they don't do much to protect against impact; but frankly, that's not why I'd buy it; I want to protect the exterior of the machine as that aluminum scratches super-easily. I was more asking if there's any reason, such as thermal issues, as to why I shouldn't get one. Otherwise, I'm totally getting one.

I've never heard of that, but now that you mention it, I'm going to look into it as the whole point of the thing is to prevent scratches to the aluminum.

The Pelican cases are nice, but I'm hoping to find something more Backpack-esque. I figure, I'll put it in a hard shell, use a keyboard cover and such, and then get a backpack-style carrying case so it'll be easier to carry around as I am really over messenger bags or over-the-shoulder bags, or heavy cases. They just hurt my back over time. Plus, the Pelican, I'd imagine, is more money than I can afford for this purpose.

i already told you it wasnt the best for protecting against drops LOL read my posts again

and i already answered ur other comment

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Have a look at the North Face 'Surge' and Ogio Renegade RSS backpacks.

Both are great, I really like the OGIO for its suspended laptop compartment !!

semiauto

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
I'm about to pull the trigger on a current generation non-retina 15" MacBook Pro. Given that, my three question is as follows:

I'm considering buying a clear hard-shell case for this MacBook Pro. Is there any reason why I shouldn't (such as thermal reasons like it being bad for the computer and/or accelerating the deterioration of either the chassis or any internal components)? If not, does anyone have any brand recommendations? In addition to this, I'd like to also find a backpack style laptop bag. Messenger bag style bags hurt my back and make me hate owning a laptop, which I don't want to have happen. Or rather a backpack specifically meant to transport a laptop (like the Brenthaven bags of old). Does anyone have a brand recommendation for something like this?

I just got my MBP (see signature) and a case a couple days ago

the case: http://www.amazon.com/mCover®-Alumi...1-2&keywords=incase+case+macbook+pro+15+clear

It's made out of cheap molded plastic with several plastic tabs that snap to hold it in place. Unfortunately, it is not as clear as I expected and on the lid part it blurs the Apple logo. Personally I would much rather have it block it entirely than make it look blurry.
I think that I might take off the top part and just keep the bottom on because it does distribute and minimize heat that you'll feel on your lap
For the price ($20.00) I think it's worth it, but I am still searching for a nice, softer touch case.

Oh and if you're looking for a nice sleeve for the 15", I have this one and love it.

http://www.amazon.com/Caselogic-PAS...85&sr=8-7&keywords=incase+case+macbook+pro+15

Xterror

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
I got a black case for my 13" MBP so that it doesn't look like a mac while I'm at school. I covered the case with stickers too. I never leave it unattended, but no one knows it's a mac either when they see if from behind. I dont see any scratches from the case after 6 months of using it. I love how it has the legs to make the back about an inch higher and angle the keyboard.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I got a Speck clear case for my 2008 MBP. I love it because I'm putting photos under the top case, and leaving the bottom off for better cooling. I'm able to tell it's mine at a glance, handy at TSA check points, and I love the photo.

It's the top shell you want protected from scratches and the bottom (that nobody sees) can fend for itself. You can clean out any debris as you change photos.

The Speck protected the MBP also, by getting a corner knocked off--which brings me to backpacks: be sure to get a backpack where the rMBP is totally submerged into the pocket. Most backpacks leave the top inch of the laptop sticking out into thin air, which is how the top shell protected the laptop as I swung the backpack over my shoulder and hit the car door on the unprotected top corner.

Mikedkr

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2012

Hardshell is nice but makes your macbook bulky, and you will cover the nice aluminium finish on the macbook ;(

As for dust and scratches... I had one on my Macbook pro 13' just make sure you clean the case once in the month and you will be fine :)

SlyMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
I never understood why people buy those hard shell cases. In all the macbooks I've owned, the only scratches I have ever had were on the bottom (usually from debris I miss when setting it down) and even then there were only a few very light scratches. If it does get really bad, replace the bottom panel. They aren't that expensive.

I recommend buying a nice bag to carry it in. I bought a timbuk 2 medium laptop messenger bag about 6 years ago and it has protected my macbooks prefectly since then. They are a little pricey but they last forever and the warranty service is great.

iLikeTurtles!

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
Hardshell is nice but makes your macbook bulky, and you will cover the nice aluminium finish on the macbook ;(

As for dust and scratches... I had one on my Macbook pro 13' just make sure you clean the case once in the month and you will be fine :)

are ur rubber feet worn? the hard shell prevents that too :p

buy the see thru clear, doesnt hdie the "look" LOL

LYFK

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
... Or rather a backpack specifically meant to transport a laptop (like the Brenthaven bags of old). Does anyone have a brand recommendation for something like this?

I can recommend these backpacks from Cote et Ciel. I bought the older version last year, and it's the best backpack I've ever owned

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

I'd say no on the clear case as dirt/debris can and will get in there causing worse scratches than just having it naked, I've owned MBPs for about 7 years now and haven't had scratches on either my Rev 1 or my current late 2011. Sorry about the messenger bags as well, I highly prefer them over backpacks but understand if they don't work out for you. There's plenty out there, I'd go on google and see what works for you.

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
If you're set on using one of those hardshell cases like Speck and worried about scratches from the case itself (with debris getting stuck between the case and MBP) you can do what I did and kinda go overboard:

InvisibleShield/Wrapsol full-body skin (protects against scratches) and then put the hardshell case on top (it may ruffly up the skin on the areas were the hardshell case tabs connect to the MBP). Its kinda overkill but an option.

For me this time around, I'm going to just stick with a Wrapsol/Invisible shield for scratch protection and no hardshell case. Those hardshell cases actually add almost a pound of weight to your MBP surprisingly. So your 4.5/5.5lb rMBP/MBP ends up weighing 5.5-6.5lb which is a noticeable increase.

For backpacks, I'm still looking for the perfect one. I bought a Timbuk2 Command Messenger 2012 version (awesome messenger-style case btw) but recently hurt my back so looking to switch to a backpack. I got a Targus one which while it can fit tons of stuff, ends up looking/feeling way too bulky. I then went the opposite direction and got a Belkin Slim Backpack (looks like those Incase slim backpacks but for only $30-$40) which is great, very slim and compact, but a bit too small for daily commuting items for me.

Still looking for a perfect "in-between" backpack thats not too bulky looking and slim, but can hold a decent amount of stuff.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
If you're getting a largish backpack, be sure that it has cinch-straps on the side, to compress the weight up against your back. Otherwise the weight swings backward and you're bending over forward more than you should be.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
i had one on my MBP for about a week or so and than took it off and never used it again, it doesnt feel heavy on its own but it does make the MBP feel heavy and bulky with it on

jsut wasnt for me

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
If you're set on using one of those hardshell cases like Speck and worried about scratches from the case itself (with debris getting stuck between the case and MBP) you can do what I did and kinda go overboard:

InvisibleShield/Wrapsol full-body skin (protects against scratches) and then put the hardshell case on top (it may ruffly up the skin on the areas were the hardshell case tabs connect to the MBP). Its kinda overkill but an option.

For me this time around, I'm going to just stick with a Wrapsol/Invisible shield for scratch protection and no hardshell case. Those hardshell cases actually add almost a pound of weight to your MBP surprisingly. So your 4.5/5.5lb rMBP/MBP ends up weighing 5.5-6.5lb which is a noticeable increase.

For backpacks, I'm still looking for the perfect one. I bought a Timbuk2 Command Messenger 2012 version (awesome messenger-style case btw) but recently hurt my back so looking to switch to a backpack. I got a Targus one which while it can fit tons of stuff, ends up looking/feeling way too bulky. I then went the opposite direction and got a Belkin Slim Backpack (looks like those Incase slim backpacks but for only $30-$40) which is great, very slim and compact, but a bit too small for daily commuting items for me.

Still looking for a perfect "in-between" backpack thats not too bulky looking and slim, but can hold a decent amount of stuff.

I guess having to get a case for your case seems a little pointless to me :)

mavonnahme

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2011
Incase Sleeve

I got an Incase neoprene sleeve for my early 2011 15" MBP and I love it. The MBP fits perfectly inside with tons of protection and is not bulky at all. I put it inside a regular backpack for school and could still fit binders, books, etc. I too was contemplating getting a hardshell case for it but I decided against it since the only time my MBP would be subject to damage would be during transportation. I have heard mixed reviews on hardcases but I can tell you the Incase sleeves are a great, inexpensive product that allow for max protection using a slim design.

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
I guess having to get a case for your case seems a little pointless to me :)

Yea like I said it was kinda overkill. I use a moshi keyboard cover too (best one I've used out of all the ones I tried: zCover, KBcovers.com etc. Its the thinnest and feels least "in-the-way"). I think I'm a bit OCD.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Ive just bought a black 'Speck' hard skin which helps disguise it from being a mac. It also means I can use my mac as a coaster and place cups of coffee on it, without leaving any marks/stains on my mac.

Joking!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.