15" Macbook Pro for work dual monitor hookup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NissanGuy23, Apr 30, 2015.

1. NissanGuy23 macrumors member

Hi, my CEO said today he can get me a work laptop, and since i had my personal 13" Macbook Pro from 2010 open, he mentioned it could be a mac. Our work exclusively uses HP PCs, and my current work computer is a HP desktop. I have and need 2x VGA monitors, both are ViewSonic. The employees with PCs have a docking station, they close the lid on their laptop, connect it to the dock, and they use the computer with a keyboard and mouse and have 2x displays to work on.

So what i want to know is, if i get a 15" rMBP, can i use the 2x VGA monitors i have? Or is there a 'dock' that can be used so that i can switch from desktop mode but then disconnect when i need to take the laptop into a meeting?

Thanks for any info.

2. JTToft, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015

JTToft macrumors 68040

- I would assume you could just use two Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapters on the rMBP's two Thunderbolt ports.

As for docks, look into the various Thunderbolt docks that exist from OWC, StarTech.com, Elgato, etc. Most have at least two display outputs [* see below], but I doubt any exist with VGA, so you'd probably have to convert from HDMI to VGA and Mini DisplayPort to VGA.
    Or this: http://hengedocks.com/pages/horizontal-macbook-pro-retina

Also take a look at the docking station thread just a few below this one.

EDIT: * While this is true, the various Thunderbolt docks will actually only support one display unless one of your two displays is a Thunderbolt display.

3. NissanGuy23 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info, I'm leaning towards just using 2x VGA adapters for cost reasons.

Would i be able to close the lid on the Macbook and use it on the monitors? Maybe that just equates to creating a setting which doesn't allow the computer to go asleep when the lid is closed.

Finally, i would install Windows 8.1 on it because i hear Windows 7 (which is what the office uses) doesn't support high dpi displays.

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Yes, it won't go to sleep if you close the lid when it has monitors connected. It's called closed-clamshell mode. It requires that power be plugged in, though.

I don't know how any of this works in Windows, so someone else will have to weigh in on that.

5. owen123 macrumors newbie

IIRC, Clamshell mode still works even when booted into Windows. Alternatively on Windows you can use win+p which will allow you to select to only have the external monitors on. Depending on the specs of the Mac, you should be able to run the two externals and still have the laptop open so you'd have three monitors.