15" MBP 2.8ghz w/9600GM/512mb hotter than 2.66 w/9600/256MB ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Jun 17, 2009.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

An Apple store employee told me that. Is it true?

Would the 2.66 version MBP with 256 be noticeably cooler on the bottom than the 2.8 with 512?

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Hotter? Probably, unless the 2.8 is run at a lower vcore than the 2.66 (unlikely). Noticeable beyond margin of error with a temp sensor? Maybe. Noticeably hotter on the bottom? No.

3. ThomasW91 macrumors newbie

I've never used another one to compare, but I know the area between the keys and the screen can get extremely hot. I run smcFanControl pretty high when I'm actually doing work or watching hulu.

4. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I'm wondering if adding a SSD would make it cooler on the bottom.

Can anyone else confirm the 2.66/256 version runs noticeably cooler (on the bottom) than the 2.8/512.

thanks.

5. nws0291 macrumors 6502

I have had both. I returned my 2.66 w/512 for the new 2.8. I didn't notice a difference. Temps and fan speeds were the same via iStat in both. Both were not hot and I can't remember the fans ever really coming on.

6. buckeye17 macrumors member

7. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

they used to make a 2.66 w/512?

8. CarcinogenX macrumors member

I have the "older" March 2009 2.66ghz model and was surprised at how cool it runs. For the record it uses a 35w T9550 processor. I have yet to use the 9600M GT card in Leopard because the 9400 works just fine so far.
    I have been a PC guy since, well....forever, and one of the biggest complaints on a PC laptop is heat. Owner forums for Dell, HP, Acer, Toshiba etc. all complain that the laptops run painfully hot and render the keyboard/trackpad virtually unusable. I can attest that my model MBP running OSX for hours straight (both plugged and unplugged) has never produced any heat issues. Yeah, if you are a multitasking fool like me running everything possible at once, you definitely feel heat around the left function keys and left speaker if you run your fingers over the aluminum, but is it a problem of any sort, absolutely not.
    I have set it comfortably on my bed or my lap for a long time just streaming Netflix and doing basic web type stuff and it never gets even luke warm and runs absolutely silent.

I also installed a legal copy of Vista 64 I had, which only sees the 512mb 9600M GT and has no fan control, and I am pretty sure I could have lit a cigarette off the unibody frame after just a few minutes of use. In that instance, it actually hurt to touch the frame. Seriously, it hurt. I could be wrong but I thought I saw it glowing red after about 30 minutes of updates. Yep, it got that hot.
    No mas Vista for me.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes the one before the refresh.

10. nws0291 macrumors 6502

Yeah it was replaced by the new 2.8 so the old 2.66 was 6mb L2 cache. People were complaining about Apple reducing the Cache on the 2.66 when they were actually not realizing that the new 2.66 was just a speed increase of the base model.

11. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

2 questions for you?

I notice you have the 15" and a 13" how do you use the two together, and which one do you use more?

How are you liking the Palm Pre, have you had a iPhone or Blackberry in the past to compare it too?

Thanks! :)