15" mbp + 23" ACD or sell 23" ACD and 1 single 17" hi res model??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Apr 29, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Which is better do you guys think? I know with the 15" mbp + 23" ACD I get dual monitor mode which is nice.. but I can do without dual monitor.. which is better do you guys think? Because selling the 23" ACD will be about the same funds difference for me to return the 15" mbp and using the extra funds towards getting a 17" hi res 2.6Ghz mbp.

2. VideoShooter macrumors regular

15 inch and 23 inch

I have a 17 inch hi res. I mostly love it. Screen is great.

1. If you travel alot - go with the 15.

2. If you video edit - go with the 15.

3. If you edit video alot on the road - go with the 17.

Note: dual screen for video is always my preference.

The 17 sucks on the airplane. That's pretty much the only big downside.

The other - it took awhile to get used to looking at the LCD hi res.

3. acarle208 macrumors member

pick a computer and stick with it!

4. VideoShooter macrumors regular

From the guy with the Dell... :rolleyes:

5. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

6. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

I have the 17" MBP and the 23" ACD and I find having the 17" alongside the ACD gives me two substantial screens to work with. They partner very well.

But when I used the ACD with my 15" Powerbook, I was more inclined to use the display as a straight REPLACEMENT for the smaller screen, rather than a combo. I'd recommend the 17" plus 23" ACD if your budget can stretch to it. I'm delighted with this pairing.

7. kanpachi macrumors regular

At this rate of buying and returning your laptops, I can't imagine how quickly your initial investment in your first 17" MBP is going to eventually degrade to 0! :eek:

8. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Well I lost a $100 on selling my first 17" mbp and if I would have returned this 15" mbp I would showed them the green led problem on the magsafe and I know the manager pretty well by now and she's been very nice and awesome with me since I've bought a mac pro, 23" ACD, 20" ACD, 2 macbooks (for someone else), 4 iphones (unlocked and sold them for 1k each :p when the geohot was going on) so I would get an exchange with no restock fee. Plus I had a good use of this 23" ACD for over a year now and probably can get around $600 since its covered with applecare and I would just use the $700 to pay the difference for a 2.5Ghz 17" hi res mbp.

But I decided no since I do remember for me though that the 17" hi resolution was too small at times and made me squint alot. Plus I still think the 23" ACD monitor looks better than the 17" in colors.. just so vivid and the 23" is much bigger as well.

Now that I think about it the 15.4" mbp feels like the perfect size to lug around (feels small to me) and great mobile and the resolution is perfect on my eyes and still looks very nice and vivid with led backlighting. Also just docking it next to the 23" ACD is perfect for the resolution for me to sit back to view the 23" ACD + 15" mbp's screen. I remember I had to sit a bit closer for the 17" hi res docked next to the 23" ACD since everything was so small but not with the 15" mbp.

Also not to mention that the speed feels exactly the same among my previous 2.5Ghz 17" vs. this 2.5Ghz 15" also ran the xbench and geekbench and its exactly the same score, I think that's pretty awesome for me to save $500-$600 by sticking with the 15" mbp. Especially if I wanted the 2.6Ghz ultimate 17" hi res mbp from the applestore I would have to fork well over $600 just for the bigger screen and a bit louder speakers.

Now that I have the 4.5k back that I sold from my mac pro's sig, I'm a happy camper again!! Money in the bank is always welcomed!! :p

My next upgrade will be nehalem mbp sometime next year.