15" MBP Anti-glare owners have mesh-like pixel grain on moving images?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pullfocus, Nov 7, 2009.

1. pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

Or am I the only one?
    I just received a replacement Unibody Anti-glare, and instantly notice that when images move, or when I move my head, there is pixillation on the screen at times.
    Is this the display itself, or the coating? I can't defintively determine which.

Doe anyone else have this issue?

2. pullfocus thread starter macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

Well, that's the thing, it is a replacement from AppleCare for my old Santa Rosa that was having multiple graphics issues.
    Is this something I can do in store, or do I need to deal over the phone again?

Ten years and this is the first time I have dealt with the AppleCare process, so
    I'm not at all sure how this process works.

3. kolax macrumors G3

Contact AppleCare again. Say you're really grateful that they gave you a replacement, but there's an issue with the replacement laptop.

Explain the issue, say you've read on the official Apple forums (there's been posts there on this issue) and that it is not normal.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Probably coating. Anti-glare is not a panel type, but a coating on the panel. It disperses light across the entire panel so it looks like there is less glare. Have it checked at your local Apple Store just in case.

5. pullfocus thread starter macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

So I have to go through AppleCare again? I just can't take it into the store and get it swapped out (which would obviously be much more convienient)?

And yeah, I did call AppleCare, but I was told I have to specifically deal with the person handling my replacement who, of course, isn't available right now.

Hell, I might just go with a glossy display if this is indicative of the anti-glare ones.

6. kolax macrumors G3

Well, you can try your local Apple Store and see what they say. But they'll most likely say that since it is a replacement machine and wasn't bought in store, but was issued under AppleCare, you'd have to deal with AppleCare on it.

I take it the machine was shipped to you, rather than issued in store?

My replacement anti-glare didn't have that issue. And for what it's worth, glossy ones have this issue too. It isn't only restricted to the anti-glare one.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=758816

That thread talks about the 13" MBP (so glossy..) having the issue.

7. pullfocus thread starter macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

Yup.
    And yeah, I understand the protocol and everything, but it just seems that in some cases, it would be easier to just go in and swap it out, rather than the continuous shipping tango.

I mean, there was even a slight scratch on one of the palm rests that I totally forgave, considering that I was getting a complete hardware upgrade, but now....

8. pullfocus thread starter macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

Now, after reading the threads you linked, Kilamite, is it determined to be a hardware issue, or a software issue? Or a combination of both?

9. kolax macrumors G3

Think it is an issue with the display - hardware issue. But who knows..

10. pullfocus thread starter macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

Now did you get your replacement in store? Do they keep the anti-glare in stock as well?

11. kolax macrumors G3

They only have the 2.8GHz model in anti-glare in store. I bought it in store originally, so it was just a case of going back and saying there was an issue with it.

12. pullfocus thread starter macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

And sorry to keep bothering you, but as I stated, I've never had to deal with as many issues before. Plus the simple fact that my old computer is already zeroed out of all it's data so I could ship it to them, I am kind of in a pickle. Thus, it would be much easier to deal with the store.

Lesson learned on that one, I suppose.

13. kolax macrumors G3

Yeah, understand it is a bit of a pickle.. best thing to do is contact AppleCare, state that you really need the computer to be fully working asap and see if you are able to swap it at your local Apple Store.

14. pullfocus thread starter macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

Also, posed to anyone else reading this thread....

Has anyone had to return a replacement machine (through Applecare) for another, and if so, how was that process?