15 MBP Glossy HR CTO with yellow tint return adventure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ubercool, Apr 29, 2010.

1. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I thought I would start a thread for those suffering from the yellow tint issue, which might prove helpful for others beset by the same affliction. My configuration is as follows:

MacBook Pro
    15.4/2.53/CTO/HR Glossy/500GB @ 7200rpm
    Ordered: Apr. 14
    Delivered: Apr. 21

Step 1. Genius Bar
    Lenox Apple Store Genius was a friendly guy. He had a hard time seeing the problem at first, but when I kept pointing it out he finally saw it. He wrote up a repair order and asked me to call 800-MY-APPLE to arrange for the return of the unit, because it was a CTO, which he could not handle in-store. In-store time: 15 minutes.

Step 2. AppleCare
    I called the 800 toll-free number and after being connected to the right department, because "robo-voice" could not figure out what I wanted, I told the first representative of my problem. He told me that he had exactly the same problem with his 13-inch MacBook Pro and was sympathetic, but had to hand me off to his supervisor.

His supervisor had me try zapping the PRAM and resetting the System Management Controller (SMC), which, of course, did not help. After taking all my information all over *again* (you'd think our data was centralized, but it's not), I was told that I would be contacted by yet another Apple customer care person by phone within 24 hours, who would instruct me on how to return the unit with mailing labels provided via e-mail.

So now I wait. Time wasted so far: one hour for first missed Genius Bar appointment plus another hour today for appointment and phone call.

Stay tuned. :)

2. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

This confuses me a bit. I've always ordered my Macs from the online store, well as long as there has been an online store at least. I've always used local Genius Bars at area Apple stores for repair services and they've always handled them.

Why is this different?

3. ubercool thread starter macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I guess it's different because I didn't have it repaired, I had it replaced. And it was not a configuration that the Apple Store stocks.

BTW, I just got my e-mail notification from FedEx to print my mailing labels for the return to Cupertino. That only took three hours. :)

4. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Bah, another thread making me want to cancel my 7200 order and just pick a 5400 up at the store : /

These forums ruin me.

5. NOTORIOUS187 macrumors member

I did the same exact thing, lol. Ordered my 15" i7 with the 7200rpm drive but then saw a ton of threads about all the problems the 7200rpm Seagate drives used to have and confirmation of someone who had ordered a 7200rpm drive that it was indeed the same Seagate drive they had been using previously. Ended up canceling that order and buying one in store. Worked out better, IMO, since I got to play with the MBP the same day I bought it :D.

6. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

You aren't sitting around pinching yourself for not waiting and getting the slower processor? I get pretty easy buyers remorse haha.

7. ubercool thread starter macrumors 6502a

ubercool

This thread does not concern the hard drive but your comments are duly noted, and I will bolt my Hitachi 500GB from my MacBook into the MBP to circumvent any potential problems. :D

8. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

ubercool i think you may be disappointed to find the replacement unit having the same issue. I gave up on playing the exchange game in my other thread.

9. ubercool thread starter macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I think it's worth a try. Apparently not everyone is suffering from yellow tint, as many have chimed in with "perfect screen" comments, unless they're all color blind. :p

Since I've gone this far, I think Cupertino should have a live example of the problem so they can debug what's going on. :)

P.S. This forum has ruined me too, I would have no care in the world if I wasn't reading MacRumors Forums. :eek:

10. NOTORIOUS187 macrumors member

I still got the 15" 2.66ghz i7 HR AG with 8gb ram, the only thing I didn't get was the 7200rpm hd :D.

11. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Right, and you dont regret not waiting for the 7200? I wish I could have the two in front of me, I have no idea how big the difference is : /

12. NOTORIOUS187 macrumors member

I've never used a 7200rpm drive so I don't know what I'm missing. I figure I can always upgrade to another drive later if I want.

13. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I think you're right about that...I find it hard to believe that these people have truly perfect screens, yet not one of them has posted a picture showcasing it. I think I have yet to see a truly "perfect" 15" high res screen that has even backlighting, no tint, no dullness, etc. But at this point I'm pretty sure they are all the same, people's eyes either don't pick it up, or people don't care to even determine whether their screen is anything less than perfect.

and yeah, totally agree about the forum thing. although on the other hand, if I had never started reading MR, I'd be using a 2009 MBP right now and kicking myself for not doing the research/waiting.

14. ubercool thread starter macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Update: My replacement MBP is now flying to Anchorage and will here tomorrow morning, one week after I dropped off my defective one at FedEx. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this one does not have the same problem. :)

15. jkic2003 macrumors newbie

Same here...my replacement HR AG just shipped as well

My free swag from Apple for the hassle arrived just now :D

16. ubercool thread starter macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I got my replacement this morning. Unfortunately, it has the same yellowish cast as the first one. :(

Oh well, so much for me being a first adopter with Apple. Won't ever do that again. :mad:

17. NOTORIOUS187 macrumors member

Honestly, I think people are being too picky. I tried the "yellow tinge test" as well and it kind of looks like the bottom half is darker. Big deal, the same thing shows up on my pb g4. You can only tell if you're LOOKING for it on a solid white page. Just quit looking for it and you will soon forget its there. If you can't, maybe you should just return it and not use any computer at all.

18. Reapur macrumors regular

Damn and that was the cheep upgrade too...

19. ubercool thread starter macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Hey, it's my money and I can like it or dislike it if I want. If you don't need a color-accurate screen, good for you, but it's not acceptable for content publishers like me. :rolleyes:

20. NicktheNorse macrumors member

Unfortunately that probably means you'll need an IPS screen to be happy.

21. ubercool thread starter macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Yes, I love my iPad screen! In fact, because I surf so much with my iPad now, the MBP's screen is of less importance to me. :) Maybe this is Steve's evil way of getting us all to buy an iPad. :p

22. acribb macrumors regular

I just received my 15" HR Glossy i7 replacement as well.

As I suspected, the yellow tint at the bottom is present on this unit as well.

Unfortunately, this one has 'nicks' on the aluminum around the bottom edges where the bottom cover screws in....

Hmmmmmmmm........

23. SA22C macrumors regular

I'm really not convinced that this 'yellow tinge' issue is real.

24. NOTORIOUS187 macrumors member

But bro, you're a content publisher. You can't have a slightly imperfect MBP screen since you're a content publisher. Surely you cannot be publishing content on your iPad.

25. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

just as i predicted. luckily i got over the "issue" a while ago.