Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e.ayala

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Hello as stated in the title I was wondering if it was possible to upgrade my RAM from 4gigs to 8gigs.
15" MBP Late 2008
Processor: 2.93
Memory: 4GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M
Software: Mac OS X Lion

bielen

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
New Jersey
8G in Late 2008 MacBook Pro

I have a late 2008 MacBook Pro as well. I bought the 8GB Crucial upgrade from Amazon. Installed and was up and running within 15 minutes. Make sure you have the latest Boot ROM as noted in the link posted earlier.

Apple 26.2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
What up, 212?!
I have a late 2008 MacBook Pro as well. I bought the 8GB Crucial upgrade from Amazon. Installed and was up and running within 15 minutes. Make sure you have the latest Boot ROM as noted in the link posted earlier.

Can you post a link to the link you're referencing? :D

msalman

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
So I tried it but mine didn't recognize 8GB - it still reads only 4GB :(. I have late 2008 macbook pro with latest firm running Lion. Any ideas? Thanks

msalman

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Under System Information - Memory does it say there is a DIMM in both slots?
nope - it was indicating that one of the slots was empty. So I reopened it right now and found out that one of them was bit loose - DOH :p. I fixed it and now the system recognizes 8GB. yaaaaay, I'm going to love the extra ram :D

DrivenDaily

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
Boston
msalman - glad you got that sorted and it wasn't a doa stick.

You should have bought the ram off of newegg for half the price.

I'm all for recommending Newegg but let's be a bit serious here....its basically a 10 dollar difference on that Kingston kit. Hell, Amazon is 10 cheaper than the Egg on the Crucial kit.

The take away is to shop around...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.