15" MBP no good for 3D business and gaming performance? That's what windows tells me.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by duckkg5, May 26, 2009.

1. duckkg5 macrumors member

duckkg5

I thought this was kinda funny - I'm running Windows 7 on Parallels from my unibody MBP (2.4 ghz, 7200 rpm 320 gb hd) and I tried playing a game in Windows. It asks you to run a performance test and it came up with these results (see picture). Think there's some kind of bias against Apple somehow built-in, or does the MBP really not measure up in terms of "3D business and gaming performance?" I mean, is it really THAT bad? Or maybe it's because it's a virtual machine? Anyway, just thought it was funny.

Attached Files:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's from inside a virtual machine. You're not going to get the correct GPU scores even with the drivers installed.

3. chriszzz macrumors 6502

Looks like you're going to have to keep your piecharts and bar graphs 2D. No fancy pop-out graphs for you.

4. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

You know why that is right? It's because the virtualization of 7 doesn't recognise the 9400 or 9600 (don't know which your using) as just that. It says its some kind of VGA card, been a week or so, so I can't remember exactly what it calls it. Its under system hardware if you wanna look it up.

5. duckkg5 thread starter macrumors member

duckkg5

Ah that must be it. I was using the 9400 for this pic and haven't tried 9600.

BTW, I certainly don't think it's a fair test or anything; I just thought it was a funny little surprise seeing a "1.0" and not expecting it to be at the bottom of the scale.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're running in a virtual environment. There's no way you're going to get any decent numbers for performance in a VM. DirectX support in parallels/Vmware is spotty at best playing games in a VM is not advised.

7. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Just install windows using bootcamp and you'll have no problem playing games. You score will be higher than a 1.0 too :cool:

8. duckkg5 thread starter macrumors member

duckkg5

actually i've been playing Left4Dead and it's been working really well, especially with the 9600 activated.

9. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

Windows 7 also gives me that exact same score under Sun VirtualBox on my uMBP 2.93 GHz C2D/9600M. As Eidorian said, a VM of any kind is a huge resource hog that's going to pull down the score. For example, Win7 reports my processor as an Intel Core 2 Duo but can only see/use one core. ;)

10. John89 macrumors regular

Your score will be higher in bootcamp. I have a pre-UB MBP and it has a score of 5.0 I think.

Im actually surprised you can get Left4Dead running. I always thought games were useless in a virtual environment.

11. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

+1

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

This is not correct.

Within the virtual machine you are not going to have complete access to all of the hardware of the video device. Even so 3D acceleration is still experimental and can't always be counted on within a VM.

13. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

Sorry, that's what I was trying to imply, but I guess "resource hog" was the best way I knew how to put it.

14. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

I know in VM Fusion you can tell the virtual computer how many cores/processors that you want it to see. (ie. 1 or 2). Maybe there is a similar feature in yours. It was the button right next to the slider for how much RAM to allocate.

15. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

even when you select 2 virtual cores? just nit picking..

16. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Who cares what windows says??

Oh I went there :)

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

yeah but it took sixteen posts to get there - we're getting sloppy around here :D

18. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

hahaha

19. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

Ha ha. :D

20. youssefm macrumors 6502

Virtual machines see the graphics cards as generic cards, so any 3-d gaming or graphic things are horrible, now if you used boot camp and tried it out, you'd probably get the highest rating