15" MBP Retina or 13" MB Air for Grad Student

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by goldfronts1, Jun 16, 2012.

1. goldfronts1 macrumors member

Hi

I am an engineering grad student and am in the market for a new laptop.
    I am interested in the power of the 15" MBP Retina but the portability of the 13" MB Air.

I went into my local Apple store the other day and felt the difference in weight. It is very noticeable. I've been carrying around a Sony Vaio 16.4" laptop for about 4 years now. And am tired of the weight and size. Its about 6.9lbs with the standard battery, but I have the extended battery connected so it is a beast.

Although both the Apple laptops are considerably lighter than my Sony:

15" MBP Retina 4.46 pounds
    13" MB Air 2.96 pounds

I still need the laptop to be able to handle everything I throw at it being a grad student: Writing code, designing, papers, literature reviews, web surfing, emails, multitasking, etc.

Also, the 15" MBP Retina screen size is not much different from the 16.4" Sony Vaio, which I have been happy with, the only downfall with the Sony is the weight. It is like a brick to carry around.

Also, when travelling having such a large screen is not optimal on a plane and I do travel quite a bit for conferences. And walking from class to class.

So my dilemma is portability vs computing power.

Oh and yes I have read all the other posts regarding which laptop to choose, but most want to know about gaming, which I will not be doing.

Thanks

2. JayInNJ macrumors regular

It sounds like you should go with the portability of the Air. It can certainly handle all the tasks you describe at any configuration.

3. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Will you be doing any numerical simulation or data analysis?

4. 88 King, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

You could look into the Sony Vaio Z, it is the same size and weight as the 13” air but can be configured with 3.1GHz quad core Ivy Bridge only slightly slower than the 3.3GHz in the retina mbp, also come with very good 1080P screen. Price range between 13” air to 15” retina mbp.

There is also optional slice battery taking the total battery capacity to 95Wh, still weight less than the 15” retina mbp.

I think Sony is currently offering discount and free PS3 together with their laptop in the US, so you could get some money back by selling the PS3.

Here is a review of the screen in 2011 version (same screen).
    Here is a good review site for both the 2012 quad core Vaio Z and retina mbp, also she did compare the two brifly in the mbp video.

I've ordered a quad core Vaio Z and 2 retina mbp, I'll be carrying the Vizo Z with me and use the mbp as desktop replaement.

5. goldfronts1 thread starter macrumors member

Yes. I use Matlab and Labview.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I would imagine as an engineering student you will be using apps that do a lot of 3d modeling and complex computations? I'd go w/ the RMBP just for the discrete graphics alone. Plus the screen is amazing which is bound to help your productivity too.

7. stevelam macrumors 65816

take note that pretty much NONE of the required apps you'll be using will be updated for retina display for a while.

8. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

yeah definitely the RMBP with quad core will be better for complex modeling..of course I'm remembering from my undergrad where matlab occasionally took quite a while to spit out the solution, for grad work I think the time saved could be worth it vs dual core if you need a portable workhorse. OTOH the air is tons lighter and better for travel, but with the RMBP vs original I think it's light enough to the point that I wouldn't mind it for the screen and power. The reported battery life difference is within an hour too. TBH the main thing is that you'd be moving around a 2-3grand laptop vs one in the 1000s

9. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

As a student who will be on the go with his new computer, the OP should consider that he is likely to benefit from the svelte form factor and ultra lightweight of the MBA a dozen times, of maybe a hundred, for every time he will miss having a Retina display or a quad core chip.

10. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

Why is the conventional MBP not being considered? Isn't this a better choice / balance for power, price and portability?

R

11. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Because its a pound heavier,it's thicker, screen isn't as good, fans aren't newly engineered, and the list goes on.

Seriously, why are people still suggesting the old Pro when the new one is infinitely more portable? And th screen speaks for itself.

12. Gata macrumors regular

Not portability.

RMBP is ~25% lighter and a quarter thinner than the old MBP.

13. athletejmv macrumors member

Fan design is upgraded in the refresh for all systems.

From my understanding, all the systems now come with the new quite fan design. I have a MBA with the new fan; you can't even here it under a full load when using the system normally (not holding it up to your ear).

14. leo.andres.21 macrumors regular

As a fellow student, I would suggest you go for the MacBook Air. I have the 15" MBP last year and I seldom take it to lectures and leaning towards an iPad for note-taking and reading books. I only really take the laptop with me when I go to the library to study.

15. goldfronts1 thread starter macrumors member

Cool thanks for the info!

----------

Leaning towards the lightness of the air and keeping my Vaio at home connected to a monitor.

16. amoayeri macrumors newbie

I am a PhD student and I found 13" MBA screen to be too small for writing papers /literature review and coding in LaTeX /MatLab so I sold my MBA and ordered RMBP.

17. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

It just depends on what you want to use it for and how long you plan on having it. If you're looking for a computer that can handle heavy-duty tasks and last for a solid 3 or 4 years, go with the Pro. If you'll just be doing standard tasks such as web, email, music, notes, etc., go with the Air.

I am into photography and film, so I need the Pro, and I really value the new screen and form factor.

Both are great computers!

18. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

From what you describe a 13" MacBook Pro is worth considering. Unless I missed something it will handle everything that you want to do with ease. I would add a Power Support anti-glare film to the display.

If you don't already have an external display I would take the money that you save and get a nice monitor.

After reading quite a bit about the Retina MBP I am underwhelmed to say the least... But I am sure that Apple will sell a ton of them because many consumers are beguiled by its form-factor and display.

Me? I need a reliable small portable computer that doesn't cost and arm and a leg. I found the 15" MBP to be too large for traveling light with only carry-on bags.

By going with a base model 13" MBP and getting it on sale for $900 I could upgrade RAM, buy a very nice 24" display (also at a significant discount), local and online data backup and an annual VPN account for less money than a 15" MBP.

Frankly, if you are dependent on your Mac for school and/or work I think that it isn't unreasonable to have two computers instead of one Latest and Greatest Mac.

19. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

A whole pound is "infinitely more portable"? Really? You need to go to the gym, my friend. :)

Seriously, the price difference is extraordinary. I guess it depends on what is most important to the user in question.

Can the new non-retina MBP be end user upgraded (hard drive and RAM)? The HD size on the non-retina is much more useful.

I have the 13" MBP from 2011.

R

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

My background. BS in mech engr and now a 3rd year grad student in atmospheric science. I use matlab ALL the time, as well as other languages

I just picked up a 13 in base mbp and upped it to 16gig of ram? I have a monitor at both my home and work that I plug into

Should be more than capable

21. goldfronts1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info. But did you like the size of the 13" MBA and were you able to do all of those tasks on it? I use LaTeX and Matlab a lot and writing papers and analyzing data.

----------

How did you increase the RAM to 16gig. It does not have the option on the Apple website. Did you just by 2X 8gig online and update it yourself?

22. MMMalex macrumors newbie

I agree, I would reconsider my options and think about 13" MBP if I were in your shoes.

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yup, just bought a 16gig kit online. I would assume when 16 gig sticks come, may be able to update to 32gig as well

24. TjeuV macrumors 6502

Weird only one person told so before, some specific apps won't get an HD versoin for a while, you won't get full advantage from the retina display and be paying way to much. So why don't you go for the "normal" macbook pro 15" ... When I'm carrying my 15" with me I don't even notice it so don't worry about the portability

25. ZipZap macrumors 601

I spent some time using the Retina MBA at the Apple store. It is surprisingly light and that is one the main reason I did not go with an MBA upgrade.

The Retina MBP is the way to go. See one at an Apple store before you decide.

BTW... the standard MBP is very heavy and if its a choice of that or an MBA get the MBA.

I have a 2010 for sale....:)