15 months in... Think Apple will cut me some slack on extending my warranty?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMJustAGuy, May 18, 2011.

1. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I bought my 27 inch i5 iMac in February of last year. While I know what the rules are as far as buying Apple Care, do you think they might let me add the extended plan still?

For what it's worth, I will be doing it via the 800 number as I don't have a store within 3 hours. Thanks.

-Dale

2. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

I'd say NO, they stick to there rules / policy's to a T, yes there are exceptions, I could see maybe 1 day over the year, but even then I do not think they'd do it.

3. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Really? Wow. I didn't think it'd be so "by the book".

Any other opinions?

4. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Absolutely not, do you think Apple bends the rules for anyone? I don't think so.

5. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Actually, you're wrong. There have been people who have destroyed their iPhone 4's shortly after buying them and Apple will let them purchase another one at upgrade pricing.

6. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Instead of seeking opinions, why don't you just get the facts?

Less time involved and more accurate. What am I missing?

7. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

From reading what people have posted here it doesn't seem likely. Only exceptions I have seen are when someone buys AppleCare and didnt register it and had to send in a receipt to show they bought it before the deadline.

That said who knows? Worth a shot I guess.

Edit: just saw your other thread how you think your Ethernet port is dead on your iMac. If you are just buying AppleCare so they will fix your machine than I really dont see that happening. Plus you gambled by not buying AppleCare.

8. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

The fact that I just paid next months rent, bought a white iPhone 4 and iPad, and a new TomTom... That's what you're missing. So I don't want to call until tomorrow when I get paid in case they do say yes.

Lets not get smart when we don't know what we're talking about. Thanks for the feedback though. (Not sarcasm.)

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I heard that they never make exceptions with the warranties though they are kind enough to give free replacement iPhones. Hopefully they'll do something for you, but I've heard many stories of people who were 1 week out of warranty and couldn't activate an extended plan.

10. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Damn that sucks.

11. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

I truly don't understand this at all. I wasn't trying to be smart, nor feel like I succeeded in being so. I simply do not understand why folks seem more interested in collecting opinions versus picking up the phone.

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

No, that's the terms of AppleCare. What would suck is if everyone didn't buy AppleCare until something went wrong with their Apple product after the 1 year was up.

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think he was referring to the fact that Apple will replace your damaged iPhone when you should be paying $199 for a replacement (as in the terms of agreement) but they won't budge on the extended warranty.

14. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It would be like buying car insurance after you've had an accident or fried your Ethernet port. It's a gamble for both parties and that's how an extended warranty works. You've no chance three months out.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

depends on the genius

I had a battery replaced on a 3year old mb and my dad had a logic board replaced on his mbp. Both were weeeeeeelllll beyond applecare and we had them done for free

16. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

It's no secret so I don't know why you're trying to call me out. I didn't say they owe me anything I was simply asking if people thought I'd be able to.

17. Nosoforos macrumors member

They most probably won't. But don't forget that you have a lot more rights as a consumer than most people know. If your machine would stop working within like 3 years, it should be considered a nonconformity.
    What I mean is, you may not have any need for this applecare.

18. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

IIRC that is one of apple's policies, if you mess up your iPhone and it isn't covered by warranty they will still replace it for the subsidized price. In your case however, they won't give you an extended warranty this far from when the original expired.

19. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

They've been known to allow people a few days or even a week or two over to buy AppleCare. But 3 months? I doubt they'll go for that.

20. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Especially as the first thing he wants to do is get his iMac repaired.

21. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I was ignoring the fact that he is basically trying to defraud Apple.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why ask opinions on an internet board, all you're going to get is a consensus. Whether apple really cuts you some slack is when you talk to them about your problem.

Make an appt with an apple genius or call them.

23. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My guess is probably not. You are not just a couple of days beyond the the period to buy AppleCare. You should have bought it during the required timeframe.