15" Pro-i need a new a1281 battery where should i buy it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by msarway, Jan 3, 2011.

1. msarway macrumors 6502

msarway

i need a new battery for my 15" macbook pro 15" a1281 where should i buy it from apple is selling for $130

2. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

OWC (macsales.com) has a battery for 49 bucks. Here is the link

3. msarway thread starter macrumors 6502

msarway

its the wrong battery i need the one for the 2008 model year

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

There's not many places where you can get a battery for cheap. If you're desperate to save any money but want to still buy an Apple/OEM battery, there's always eBay but of course that comes with a lot of risk/hassle if things do wrong. Personally, $130 is a lot for a battery especially for the late-2008 MacBook Pro given how long it lasts off a single charge, but it's probably your best bet.

Other options would be third-party batteries on eBay or even Amazon but users have experienced problems. It would at your discretion if you choose to go this route.

5. msarway thread starter macrumors 6502

msarway

thank you

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

There is a higher probability of issues, and some are very dangerous to the user, with using a non factory battery. The computer's settings knows the specs of the battery and is able to control for things such as temperature, overcharging, calibration, etc. A non factory battery may not be made to the same specs and this can increase the chance of poor performance, poor longevity, fire, explosion, overcharging, etc. Also, if you use an aftermarket battery for most electronics and then send it in for service, you may very well have voided the warranty. With that said, some aftermarket batteries are made to the same specs and standards, but determining which are and are not can be difficult. I'd stick with factory despite higher costs.

7. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I got a cheap chinese eBay battery for my MBP a while ago for around a quarter of what Apple was charging. Despite the fact it's a "fake" Apple battery (ie. the charge indicator lights and button are fake) I am very happy with it. I'm up to almost 100 cycles, and it is still at 82% health. I'm rough with my batteries, and never calibrate. If I did, I might get better health.

8. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Calibrating doesn't make the battery last longer, it just makes it report to the computer correctly. It will have no effect on how long your battery lasts or the health.

9. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I know it doesn't fix the battery, but I do believe it helps tell the battery where the upper and lower charge limits are, so you might get back some charge the computer had "forgotten" about.

In the end, it doesn't matter, I'm just telling the OP I'm happy with my cheap chinese eBay replacement battery.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Calibration doesn't "tell the battery" anything. It simply makes the reading of the battery's condition more accurate.
    Personally, I wouldn't trust any battery that didn't come from Apple. While you may think your battery isn't worth $130, I'm sure you feel your MBP is.

11. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I need to get one also. I'm lucky to get 2 hours off a charge. I average at about an hour and a half. Makes me sad when my sister gets 7 hours or more on her new MacBook Air.

Oh and this is using the 9400M graphics card. Forget it if its on the 9600 (1 hour at most).

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you calibrated it? If so, what is your battery health, number of cycles and age?

13. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Yep I've calibrated it many times.

80% health
    306 load cycles
    27 months old

14. meringues macrumors member

Ugh, I also have "Service Battery" but $130 is a ridiculous sum to drop on a new battery...

15. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Ah. You have the late 2008. If you live near a microcenter, they had a couple for 100, 30 bucks off. Was an apple original one.