15 Retina HOT in during sleep w charger?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JeffiJers, Jan 21, 2013.

1. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

Computer has been on my desk all day plugged into the charger, used until 4pm. Shut the lid and spent some time out.

Got home and grabbed it to use on the couch and the bottom / hinge side of the computer was smoken HOT.

Turned it on and all seems fine? Anyone else have this issue? googled and only got one hit of the same problem over on discussion.apple.com

Computer is new.

Also noticed when i place the computer down slowly on a desk it makes a funky rather metallic loud tinging sound. Can replicate it by pushing in the center of the bottom cover. Not your typical creek one would expect from an aluminum/ metal case.

2. JeffiJers thread starter macrumors 6502a

gettin some sleep.. Bat is at 88% going to plug it in and close the lid. Ill see what it does come tomorrow morning.

If i get up anytime at night ill check it too.

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It could have been updating or syncing using power nap especially is you had the power plugged in ;)

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

And the strange noise you mention is from an small thingy inside which grounds the bottom lid to the computer, if you open it up and put a bit of tape in that place or remove it it's solved.

6. bushido Suspended

bushido

this happened to me as well but i blamed "caffeine" not really sure if thats the culprit tho

7. JeffiJers thread starter macrumors 6502a

Makes perfect sense.

Update. Woke up this morning to another hot to the touch computer. Not quite as hot at last night but would be uncomfortable to use on your lap.

Just unplugged it and left it there for the day.

----------

Good point, is there anyway to track when updates were done ?

8. Freyqq macrumors 68040

charging can make the battery hot too
    could also be powernap, and you can turn it off if it is bothering you

9. JeffiJers thread starter macrumors 6502a

Battery should not have been charging at that point. My guess is that it may be power nap related although that is crazy because my daily use doesn't even warm the computer up. Not sure why a power nap would

10. Freyqq macrumors 68040

power nap doesn't engage the fans, so that's probably why. I turned it off on mine just because I don't like the idea of the computer turning on by itself when I'm not around. Just a simple checkbox in system preferences.

11. chrfr macrumors 603

The computer isn't asleep if it's hot. Power Nap would only keep the computer slightly warm, for a brief period of time. Infrequently my 2012 Air and 2012 non-retina 15" MBP don't go to sleep properly.
    The 15" wakes up whenever power is connected or removed; I'm hoping these issues get solved in 10.8.3.