15" rMBP Hot To The Touch-Is SMC Fan Control A Good Idea?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by niblet, Jan 28, 2014.

1. niblet, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014

niblet macrumors newbie

My 15" Retina Macbook Pro is very hot to the touch when running games, and I am wondering if enabling a higher fan speed on SMC fan control (or other program) would cause any long term issues with the fans. (I am worried about the fans dying prematurely)

2. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

No, they'll be fine, but if it's that hot, I bet they're already running really fast.

3. durkkin macrumors regular

Those fans will probably outlast everything else in that computer. If not, they're a cheap fix. Go ahead and try SMC Fan Control, but like simon48 said, they're probably already running fast if not at the max. SMC won't be able to push the fans past their max RPM, but will be able to force them to run at max. Games are pretty much a guaranteed way to max out your hardware, so the MBP is going to get hot. Part of the reason for the aluminum body is so that it acts like a heat sink, this makes the outside hot, but helps reduce the temperature on the inside. I would suggest putting the MBP on an elevated surface and making sure there is good airflow under the computer to help aid cooling.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It will increase the noise and hopefully cool things down.

5. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Apple designed and built these computers to certain specifications, if it's that much of a concern to you, than I suggest maybe an appointment at the genius bar, or calling Apple Care. Not being a smart a$$ just saying let the people that are trained in this give you the answer.

Take into consideration what programs were running to heat up the system for the fan's to kick in.

6. niblet thread starter macrumors newbie

Is my Speck Shell making the temperature worse? Also, any good ways for me to elevate my laptop?

7. durkkin macrumors regular

The Speck shells definitely prevent the body from dissipating heat, but that's probably only going the raise the temperature 5-10 *F max.

I used to have something like this for when I was playing games on my 2008 pre-unibody MBP: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834982222

Got it as a Christmas present, and it wasn't worth using all of the time, but it certainly helped improve airflow when my computer was under a high load.

I should note that your MBP will shut off if it gets too hot. That's not a bad thing, it's a safety mechanism to prevent it from overheating and damaging something. All of these ways to reduce heat are more for your comfort, not because your computer needs it. The thermal design of the MBP is made to handle a high load for an extended period of time.