15" rMBP is now hotter after the fix and 10.8.3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Freida, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Freida macrumors 65816

Hello guys,

I have noticed that after yesterday's two patches my computer gets way hotter than before when doing the same tasks. If I turn on a game I play almost every day (HoN - 1-2games a day) the fans now work way more (left fan 6000rpm) and the left side of the keyboard is way hotter than it was before those patches. I also noticed that the GPU is around 10-15C hotter than before so am I the only one or do you guys have similar issues?

2. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

no one with the same issue? Well, if its just me then what do you think I could do to resolve it? Repair permissions or something like that?

3. mmikuta macrumors newbie

I just did the update and my system is definitely running hotter, the fans are up at least 500 RPMs at the base with about 3% CPU utilization.

4. bill-p macrumors 65816

Try resetting your SMC?

If that doesn't work, try contacting Apple...

After the update, my rMBP actually runs cooler.

5. patrickoneal macrumors newbie

Wasn't the issue the update fixed related to unnecessary throttling of the GPU and CPU? Perhaps it's running hotter now because it's staying at full speed, hence the fans will run more.

6. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

How do I know SMC reset was successful? I unplugged teh magsafe, switched off the computer then plugged in the magsafe, pressed Lshift,ctrl,alt and power at the same time. After that I released and pressed just power button.

That is meant to be the right procedure but no light or sound like PRAM reset so how does one now I was successful with the reset?

It's strange that the laptop is hotter than before. It's like I didn't have the problem they tried to address and now thanks to the update I do. Very strange ;(

7. bill-p macrumors 65816

If your laptop is charging while plugged in, then an SMC reset would change the charger's light from orange to green momentarily before changing it back to orange.

Honestly, I'm getting much better results after the firmware update. It's weird that you're getting worse.

8. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

Tried it about 10 times and no success with the light change so not sure what I am doing wrong or if its just not changing the light :(

9. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

If the laptop is fully charged the light won't change. Let the battery run down a bit (maybe 5-6%) before you try again.

10. applepie555 macrumors regular

It's probably because before it throttled and was cooler and now it doesn't throttle so it runs hotter and needs the fans to rev up more

11. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

sorry but that doesn't make any sense. If something throttles then its hot as well. That is why it throttles.
    The fact that its hotter and fan higher rpm than before means that there is something wrong.

----------

will try that, thank you :)

12. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Try UltrFan if you want you Mac to run at a cooler temp, my own Retina never throttled and has always run cool and quiet. I have run UltraFan since the start and it has never brought issue, a setting of 66C works well on my 2.3 Retina reducing the runaways temps often associated with Apple`s portables.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1214206

13. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

did you install the update using MAS ? you could try to reinstall 10.8.3
    using the combo update, support.apple.com/kb/DL1640
    it usually fix lots of problems.

14. KennyX macrumors newbie

Same issue here. No videos or anything, just simple web browsing causes the heat to get up there.... What the hell's up with Apple?

15. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I have already applied the firmware update, I am downloading 10.8.3 now once it`s installed, I will get back with any differences as previously my 2.3 had no performance issues.

16. Outkast27, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013

Outkast27 macrumors 6502

I just got my mbpr back today from Apple. I took it in to replace the retina screen. I wiped the os before taking it in. They put 10.8.2 on it. I seemed to be running warmer and I heard the fans when it was not doing much. I wasn't sure if it was just because the temp is hotter today in my city. It could be an update?

17. patrickoneal macrumors newbie

He's saying the same thing I was. The problem the "fix" solves is throttling that occurred for no reason, resulting in poor performance. If I understand it correctly, the fix keeps the CPU and GPU at full speed, as they should be. At full speed they'll need more cooling than if they're throttled down to a lower speed for no good reason.

18. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

But in my case, I haven't noticed any speed increase or any throttling before. If there was throttling before than I would understand and could see it but sometimes I'm even on safari or doing light stuff and the computer gets hot that when i type my left hand feels the heat from the keyboard.

19. andrezuppe macrumors member

I have the same "problem"... after 10.8.3 and smc update, cpu temperature increased by 5°C also in idle.
    I did't see any performance improvement after that updates on my 2012 - 15" retina 2.6, just only an increase in temperature.

Bye,

Andrea

20. Cassadian macrumors regular

My performance GPU wise and temperature wise is also sub-par. Especially on the GPU side.

----------

My performance GPU wise and temperature wise is also sub-par. Especially on the GPU side.

21. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

I'm having no such issues with mine- if anything it runs cooler. Let's try something here.

Could I get some people to reply with what CPU they're using? Mine is the 2013 2.7GHz (6M cache).

22. Cassadian macrumors regular

I have the base model. I had the same problem before the update and it's managed to get worse (I KNOW, HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE). I went to the apple store last time (and they replaced it, yet it didn't fix the problem, I just gave up) and they said there was no problem, I opened up a game and it just ran for crap and they agreed it was messed up.

23. anarti macrumors regular

Mine is way cooler after update.

Retina itself is a very cool laptop temperaturewise. Great cooling system.

24. cbaty08 macrumors newbie

I left my early 2013 15" rMBP on overnight plugged in (running 10.8.3) and never opened it up until I had taken it to work, as well as back home without opening it... from the time I unplugged it in the AM (roughly 7am) to the time I got home around 4pm, the computer had went from %100 battery to 17%.

I wouldn't even have noticed if it weren't for the buzz of the fans coming all the way through my back pack.

The laptop was HOT!!!!!!!!! I mean hot to hold... so hot it literally smelled like burnt electrical.

Anyways, taking it in to the Apple store today to have them investigate what's up with it.

Only a few weeks old, too. :(

EDIT: I noticed battery life and some heat right after I installed 10.8.3 this weekend.. this was never happening on 10.8.2.

25. cbaty08 macrumors newbie

Had to leave the laptop with the Geniuses.. they said they'll run more stress tests on it, and ordered a new logic board "just in case".

Will update back.