15" UMBP Coming apart at the base of the screen...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by isaki87, Sep 22, 2009.

1. isaki87 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I have an interesting scenario at hand, my UMBP that has been replaced about three times for graphic issues and is finally perfect fine in terms of performance, however, it is now coming apart at the base of the screen and shell on the left hand side. I dont know what the cause of this is, and I am curious if this is covered under applecare or not... This particular laptop does not get moved around a lot, but it does get very, very hot, so I was wondering if the heat could be a cause of this issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have attached a picture, and will attach more once I get home.

Apologies if this has been discussed before, I just couldn't find anything.

Attached Files:

2. icedd macrumors 6502

icedd

That sucks. If it wasn't your fault or anything, I don't think Applecare wouldn't help you out in this situation. It looks pretty bad.

3. n19htmare macrumors member

have you been in areas with extreme temperature changes?

I've seen a few of these issues with the aluminum macbooks and I gotta say it's gotta be because it's expanding (as the macbooks do since they get hot) and then contracting. At room temperature, this probably will not effect the notebook but when introduced to extreme changes, it may.

So your notebook is HOT and you're using it outside. then you walk into an air conditioned room and turn off the notbook and it cools down a lot faster (as opposed to if had cooled down slowly outside). A few of these and vise versa and you may very well have expanded/contracted it enough timts that it's start to push up/rub against things.

That would be my guess, perhaps something Apple looked over or didn't bother to address. who knows.

4. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Have you talked to applecare?

Today I opened my laptop up and noticed some light coming out from the bottom left. I looked closer and noticed the case coming apart from the screen. I tried lightly squeezing it, thinking maybe it'll stick back together, but it just comes apart again. :(

I'm planning on calling applecare but I know they'll want me to send it in or bring it to the applestore which is about 2 hrs away. Im too busy with uni right now so Im just gunna wait for spring break. I hope it doesnt get worse though.

fwiw, mine is a 15" also.

5. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Applecare should definitely take care of this. This is not accidental damage nor wear damage, just shoddy labour.

6. yanny13 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem, it started off small and just at one corner and the laptop was still completely functional. It then spread over the whole hinge and became so bad that I couldn't close the lid; the back panel and the glass wouldn't move together and the glass eventually cracked.

I got it covered completely by AppleCare, after they originally said that they wouldn't cover it. It was fixed and back to me in a few days, amazing considering that I'm travelling/working in Japan right now.

The AppleCare lady that I spoke to was very understanding was siding with me when she had to talk to her managers about fixing the problem. I have some pictures of what it looked like - much worse than yours.

I wish you luck!

7. tworth23 macrumors regular

Guys,
    do you have the glossy or Anti-glare MacBook pros. I know one of you said the glass cracked, so that's glossy, whY about the rest of you?

8. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

This should be covered by AppleCare. Get it fixed!

9. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Mine is glossy too.

10. LaraEdwards macrumors newbie

Hi
    Sorry to reply on this as it was a long time ago but this has just happening to my MacBook. Apple are trying to charge me £575 pounds to fix it, I am just wondering what happened with yours in the end?
    I am a student and cannot really afford to pay this and there is no way I will let my parents cover it.
    Apple are saying this is down to neglect but it's been very well looked after and never dropped. The only thing i can say maybe come under neglect would be the travelled back and fourth from university with it but then i keep it in a MacBook case and it's a laptop, they are meant to be portable.
    I am trying to find other similar cases to help me fight them and yours is exacly whats happened.

11. Ripmax2000 macrumors regular

My friend had this same problem, his local Apple Store said they had seen it a few times and were covering the issue for everyone.

12. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

Are you covered under Applecare? If you are, it's something they should fix. I had a few different case issues with my 2008 Macbook that they fixed, but I was covered under Applecare...

13. LaraEdwards macrumors newbie

Yes I have Apple Care, it's currently in a MCC store which is only an Apple service provider, I have spoken to Apple and they want to see the machine themselves so I am currently trying to get it back so I can send it to an actual Apple Store, which is proving more difficult then I thought.

14. wilso macrumors newbie

Apple might fix it!

The exact same thing happened to my macbook pro 15". I have had it for about 2 years and I took it into a NYC Apple Store. I told the guy I had found other people reporting the same issues so he took about 10 minutes to search their databasis (they don't support MacRumor.com) and sure enough he found the issue documented!
    Because of my exact make and model, they are replacing the entire screen for free. I am not under applecare anymore. He said as long as it is within a 3 year period I qualified and my specific model.
    It would have cost just shy of $500 if he did not find that on their support system.
    I should have it by the end of the week.
    Thanks!!:):apple:

15. OneLoveMusic macrumors newbie

What specific model do you have? I'm having the exact same problem on a 15" MacBook Pro from early 2009. It's really scaring me and getting worse everyday, I hope I have the same luck as you. I'm also in NYC so hopefully...