15 year-old shot for being gay

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Feb 29, 2008.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- so sad. Haven't heard much about this in the MSM. I guess after Matthew Shepard, we're just kind of used to it. :mad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_"Larry"_King

2. Queso macrumors G4

I hope they do more than discuss it. Just when you start to think it's getting easier for the youngsters you get reminded that things have not changed that much :(

RIP Lawrence.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, this was just down the coast from me a little ways. Made me sick to my stomach.

Plus every time I hear one of these school shooting stories I can't help but feel concern for my wife, who is in that environment day in and day out...

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It's just sad to me all the hatred in the world for people who are different. I guess it'll never end. :(

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It is interesting how we class "different" though. I don't intend to start some debate over what is and is not different but it has always been interesting to me.

The whole story is sad, school shooting + hate crime. I hope the kid gets life in prison, no need for the death penalty as he probably won't survive county due to his crime.

6. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

I just saw a clip from the Ellen show on this-- what a shame-- she said he was shot because he asked the other boy to be his Valentine-- scary what this world is coming to.

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I haven't been able to bring myself to watch that yet. I'm afraid I'll lose it. :(

8. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

it was pretty emotional-- i didn't watch the whole thing because Ellen was so upset

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I'll try it tomorrow. It's been a long, stressful day and I don't think I can take it at the moment.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This story has been all over our local media since it happened. The kid was charged with first degree murder and a hate crime, but nobody really knows what the motive was yet. It seems he might have been goaded into it by his friends. I think you'll need to log into our county paper to read this:

http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2008/feb/24/it-doesnt-make-sense/

11. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

That's disgusting. why would you shoot someone just cause they're gay?

The guy was gay, so what. At least the boy (larry) had enough courage to be openly gay at such a young age. kudos to Larry for being openly gay:) God rest his soul. :(

Now, I say we throw Brandon in the gayest city in the world and let us have our way with him.:D:p Bad joke? I'm sorry.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

We don't know the motive yet. Like I said, this is a big local story but all the discussion about a motive is just speculation so far. The shooter had a very troubled home life. That much we do know. I think this story will turn out to be more complicated than one about some kid who decides to go gay hunting.

You may not want to get your news from Ellen.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And just how did this kid wind up with a gun anyway?

14. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Mom? Dad? other relatives?

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

According to the article I posted:

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, I saw that, but that doesn't answer my question.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

:( Yet another disturbing hate crime. You could seriously lose faith in humanity altogether. :(

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Like I said...

Oh, never mind.

19. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

You ought to know that no one reads the entire thread when it has a provocative title like this.

20. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

Thanks for posting this link-- I hadn't even heard of the incident until I was flipping through and saw the Ellen clip-- such a shame that there are still so many questions

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sigh. Yes, you're right.

Could you read it without registering?

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I didn't have to register to read it.

23. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

From your own article IJ:

Perhaps not the only motive, but it was part of it. The kid was also charged with a hate crime. Whatever all the reasons are, to deny that hatred was a part of it is disingenuous. And I didn't get my news from Ellen. It was sent to me by some good friends. And I linked the wikipedia article.

And furthermore, I'm very sad for Brandon as well. I don't think he should be tried as an adult. I think he needs serious help.

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, but there's more in the article which suggests that his friends may have goaded him into it, and several caveats about the lack of solid information about the motive, and quite a bit about this kid's home life.

Somebody got this story from "Ellen," I know it wasn't you. The point was, don't expect shows like this to resist simplifying and sensationalizing tragic events. I'm just saying it may end up being a lot more complicated than it reads on the surface. These things usually are.

25. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree that it's more complicated, but somehow I doubt this would have happened had the victim not been gay. If his friends goaded him into it, that's even more evidence for homophobia.