15 yr old shoots two deputies

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Bobdude161, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Article

Wow. This is close to home, literally. :eek: 10 miles to be exact.

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Idiot. Why do people do stuff like this? Do they have even a fraction of a reasoning capacity? Even if the kid were to surrender now he's thrown his whole life away. Who's going to want to hire a cop-shooter (or cop-killer, of they don't survive)? How long is he going to jail for?

And for what? To make a point to his mommy that he can out-shout her?

And that's assuming the police don't shoot him on site the minute they get a good aim on him, which would be perfectly understandable if he just shot two of their buddies and is still armed.

3. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Not to be off topic but in about a few days this post is going to be filled with people talking about how america has guns and blah blah blah.

GFLPraxis, people don't think. If people think, lots of problems can be avoided. For example, if people think, maybe they would back up their computer more often so when it crashes, they don't come crying to me asking me to pull a driversaver job for them.

I read somewhere that under the age 25, people don't know what consequences are.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The whole gun situation makes me very apprehensive about moving over there.

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Here, you serve a life sentence for killing a cop. And if they survive, up to 50 years anyway.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

raggedjimmi, if you avoid the drug scene, and stay away from gang-banger neighborhoods, your worst-ever hazards are the Internal Revenue Service and commuter traffic.

'Rat

7. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Yeah........ Just stay in a good part of town. Just be safe, and remember dont talk to strangers, unless they have yummy candy:p ;)

8. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

thanks for that, i think this thread is going to need it.

not to sound a bit conceited but the word "Rural" was used a few times, and rural america is NOT my america.

Though it is the america the world sees, sadly.

9. MacAnkka macrumors regular

I wonder what happens when Jack Thompson hears about this. I'm sure he'll find a way to blame videogames for this...

In any case, stuff like this is always sad. Hopefully the two deputies will survive, my best wishes to both of them.

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Getting defensive over yet another senseless gun death?

Whether you like it or not rural and suburban America is the source of a lot of problems these days.

What America would you rather the world see?

11. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

one deputy has died. the other is in serious condition. the kid ended up killing himself. All with an M1 Garand.

Another arictle

12. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

looking at the pic in this article, i wouldn't have been able to tell this kid would do anything like this. :eek:

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If it makes you feel any better the number of gun deaths in the US has been going down the last decade or so while the number of gun deaths in England has been going up over the same time period. Not to mention you are still significantly more likely to die in a car accident anyway.

Any time something like this happens you have to feel for the victims and their loved ones, but I also wonder what was going on inside the kid's head.

Lethal

14. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

agreed. i'm not really afraid of running into a psycho shooter on campus, but those freeway shootings that used to happen in LA had me worried.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What a tragedy. One cop dead, one on the edge, a kid facing a life sentence and now he's blown himself away.

I'm thinking there's more to it than what we're hearing. Either the kid had a mental problem or was on some really heavy stuff when the cops came calling. I just can't believe he was dumb enough or evil enough to shoot two cops over a misdemeanor pot charge.

Don't forget athlete's foot and reality TV. :D

16. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Under the age of 21 (i think) people's frontal lobe is not completely developed, therefore they don't think of the consequences of their actions, they just do it.

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You never know. Kids, especially kids that age, have a very limited view of the world and tend to over react to things. Which is one reason why high school can be so traumatic to some because they lack the perspective to understand that not getting asked to the prom (or whatever) is not a big deal in the grand scheme of your life. When I was in high school a classmate (no one I knew personally) went joy riding in a stolen car, accidently drove the car into a pond, and later that day/night hug himself in his bathroom at home. In his mind he had it made up that his "life was over" if he got caught so he reacted impulsively and killed himself.

Lethal

18. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Ha ha, I guess you were right, xparaparafreakx. "The whole gun situation..." I think a lot of people would be much less fearful if they just stopped watching the news.

19. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

A race to the bottom where Urban areas have been for some time. I'll still take my chances in rural America where I can at least see the people coming literally a mile off.