150 killed in crush at Mecca

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mildredop, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Mildredop macrumors 68020

2. sim667 macrumors 65816

I imagine that will be lost on most people on these boards

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's actually up to 450+ dead. Must be that outpouring of peaceful worship I've heard about.

Meanwhile, tens of thousands line the streets of NYC to get a glimpse of a Fiat driving by.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I've been to religious festivals in developing countries and they are a bit scary due to the numbers and lack of appropriate safety controls.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

At least when Americans stampede it's for good reasons like cheap TVs on Black Friday. American Exceptionalism, yo!

6. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I try to say well away from crowds. We had to leave the London fireworks because it was way too crowded on the bridge and they had crowd control in place.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

o_O Why do you think we wouldn't get a religion joke?

8. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

Do you get it?

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Bingo is an old person's thing, not a religious thing. At least by me.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

USAToday is reporting at least 717 dead and over 800 hurt.

11. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Wow, instead of legitimately criticizing the Saudi government for their lack of crowd control measures, people feel the need to take gratuitous shots at their religious beliefs. No wonder there is so much strife in the world today with such ugliness and bigotry.

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

the death toll is now up to 700+

first the crane accident with more than 100 deaths and now this

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

They simply wanted to pray and throw rocks at some wall; now they're all dead. Yet Allah permits ISIS to rampage with unchecked ferocity. What a sense of humor.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Given sky fairies aren't real I think we should blame the Saudis for having inadequate crowd control. Yes the Haj is hard as there are so many people - but I can't believe crowd control is that hard. We've handled football matches and massive stadium concerts successfully for years.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Both events involve people yelling, "bingo!"

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How do you provide crowd control for 2 million+?

17. Happybunny macrumors 68000

18. sim667 macrumors 65816

Clearly not.

19. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Mecca owner of Bingo halls UK.

20. sim667 macrumors 65816

You do know that deities aren't real, don't you?

21. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

So this really wasn't divine intervention?

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Thor is REAL, hell I have seen him in movies.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I admit I never thought of that angle.

I was working off the idea that both the Hajj and church bingo involve large crowds of fervent believers that sometimes veer tragically out of control.

But enough out that.

I feel bad enough joking around about a horrible tragedy. My condolences go out to Muslims. The Hajj is one of the most compelling events in the world, and they have my sympathy for having to endure this horrible misfortune and my hopes for finding solutions to prevent this from happening again.

24. vrDrew macrumors 65816

In the case of Saudi Arabia (and the periodic mass fatalities surrounding the Haj) its actually a bit of both.

On the one hand, I think a legitimate criticism that can be leveled at Islam is its acceptance of predestination - or Qadaa. This is sometimes translated as "fatalism" which is probably not completely accurate, but it is sometimes exploited by both religious and civil authorities as an excuse not to take more assertive actions to prevent future occurrences.

The real problem, when it comes to the periodic stampedes; hotel fires; building collapses; etc. - is that the Haj and the millions of pilgrims are a huge source of wealth for many Saudi princes and other notables. These people, and the companies they control, have quietly grabbed up huge tracts of land surrounding Mecca and other holy sites, building luxury hotels and shopping facilities - with scant attention paid to the niceties of handling massive crowds.

Compounding the problem is that, in almost every case, the victims of these tragedies are non-Saudi citizens. Pilgrims from Malaysia and Pakistan, and who have no political influence within the Saudi kingdom whatsoever. And they, for what its worth, are comforted by the knowledge that anyone dies while performing Haj is pretty much guaranteed entrance to Heaven.

25. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Apparently this tends to happen:

Some notable incidents include:

• July 2, 1990 : A stampede inside a pedestrian tunnel (Al-Ma'aisim tunnel) leading out from Mecca towards Mina and the Plains of Arafat led to the deaths of 1,426 pilgrims, many of them of Malaysian, Indonesian and Pakistani origin.[2][3]
    • May 23, 1994 : A stampede killed at least 270 pilgrims at the stoning of the Devil ritual.
    • April 9, 1998: at least 118 pilgrims were trampled to death and 180 injured in an incident on Jamarat Bridge.[4]
    • March 5, 2001: 35 pilgrims were trampled to death in a stampede during the stoning of the Devil ritual.[5]
    • February 11, 2003: The stoning of the Devil ritual claimed 14 pilgrims' lives.[6]
    • February 1, 2004: 251 pilgrims were killed and another 244 injured in a stampede during the stoning ritual in Mina.[7]
    • January 12, 2006: A stampede during the stoning of the Devil on the last day of the Hajj in Mina killed at least 346 pilgrims and injured at least 289 more. The incident occurred shortly after 13:00 local time, when a busload of travellers arrived together at the eastern access ramps to the Jamarat Bridge. This caused pilgrims to trip, rapidly resulting in a lethal stampede. An estimated two million people were performing the ritual at the time.
    • September 24, 2015: More than 700 pilgrims were killed and another 800 injured during a stampede in the 2015 Hajj.[8]
    link