Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe has updated Photoshop Lightroom, its prosumer image editor, with retina display support. Photoshop and Illustrator CS6 were upgraded with similar support earlier this week.

NewImage18.png
What's new

o HiDPI support within the Library and Develop Modules. HiDPI provides support for Retina-enabled Macs.
o Additional raw file support for 20 cameras including the Canon EOS 6D, Nikon D600 and Olympus PEN E-PL5
o Corrections and bug fixes for issues introduced in previous versions of Lightroom.
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 is available on the Mac App Store for $149.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Adobe Updates Photoshop Lightroom With Retina Support

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
This must be quite a lot of work for them to build in to such a big suite of programs. In terms of their total user base retina screens must be quite a low percentage too. Just find it interesting that the make the effort thats all. I think adobe are a good company.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
This must be quite a lot of work for them to build in to such a big suite of programs. In terms of their total user base retina screens must be quite a low percentage too. Just find it interesting that the make the effort thats all. I think adobe are a good company.

Eventually they'll have to do the work regardless.
Also, many of those Retina Macs sold are actually used by professionals, so it makes perfect sense.

Adobe is also a little more listening than Apple is.

It's nice to see so many Lightroom news as Aperture user though...
*cough* Aperture 4 *cough*
Well, no but really, it's good to see Adobe improving on Lightroom constantly and hence giving Apple a little pressure in making Aperture a better application.

Steve Jobs wanted to influence photography in a big way, it's sad to see his company being so slow to be forthcoming towards pros and semi-pros who wouldn't mind a new Aperture.

And yes, it's not just the version number I want to see bumped up, there are some things that would make Aperture, and partially the other media applications, a lot better to work with.

Glassed Silver:mac

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Oof, that update looks really nice.

It's been hard watching all the nice new toys Lightroom users are getting. But I can't leave Aperture because of the sweet iCloud integration that I rely strongly on.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Oof, that update looks really nice.

It's been hard watching all the nice new toys Lightroom users are getting. But I can't leave Aperture because of the sweet iCloud integration that I rely strongly on.

Here's what got me into/keeps me invested into Aperture:

Integration
Workflow
Some specific concepts
and last but not least:
My non-destructive edits - Don't wanna do all the work again and hell no I don't want to convert them into destructive edits and maintain two masters in Lightroom, thankyouverymuch :D

chocolaterabbit

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2008
Lightroom is nothing like a "Prosumer image editor." It's as professional as it gets, and image editing is only a small part of what it does.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Here's what got me into/keeps me invested into Aperture:

Integration
Workflow
Some specific concepts
and last but not least:
My non-destructive edits - Don't wanna do all the work again and hell no I don't want to convert them into destructive edits and maintain two masters in Lightroom, thankyouverymuch :D

You're right that as an Aperture user there's going to be some significant workflow changes in a potential move to Lightroom. I just worry, as evidenced by Apple's languishing RAW support, that Apple doesn't care about Aperture nearly as much as I do.

It's a good thing my Fujifilm X-E1 shoots such great JPEGs...

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
You're right that as an Aperture user there's going to be some significant workflow changes in a potential move to Lightroom. I just worry, as evidenced by Apple's languishing RAW support, that Apple doesn't care about Aperture nearly as much as I do.

It's a good thing my Fujifilm X-E1 shoots such great JPEGs...

Apple seems to have sped up RAW updates quite a bit.

I know I was able to use my 60D right away and import everything on the first day I got it.
And I got it within like 2-4 weeks of release if I'm not mistaken.

And hell no, I won't shoot JPEG when RAW is available to me.
Call me crazy, but I'd be the last to complain about a RAW option on the iPhone, not because I'd use it for serious stuff, but just because I love the added control and capturing WAY more information that can be even useful for the almost perfect casual shot.
You can "dumb it down" to JPEG afterwards anyway if it's overblown for you.

Kingsley Aghedo

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Apple Names 'day One' And 'deus Ex: Human Revolution' Best In Mac App Store

Published: Friday December 14th 2PM

Google Releases Gmail 2.0 for iPhone and iPad - 67 new posts
Started 1 week, 3 days ago by MacRumors
Google has updated the Gmail for iOS app to version 2, bringing much requested features like multiple account support, autocomplete predictions for searching, an infinite scrolling inbox, and the ability to RSVP to Google Calendar invites from within the app. Quote: Six months ago, our team set out to completely rebuild the Gmail app for iPhone and iPad to give you you a faster, sleeker, and ...

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
And hell no, I won't shoot JPEG when RAW is available to me.
Call me crazy, but I'd be the last to complain about a RAW option on the iPhone, not because I'd use it for serious stuff, but just because I love the added control and capturing WAY more information that can be even useful for the almost perfect casual shot.
You can "dumb it down" to JPEG afterwards anyway if it's overblown for you.

It has nothing to do with dumbing it down. Raws have quite a bit more flexibility, and they can benefit from the best processing algorithms available at the time. Personally I think Capture One and Phocus do a much better job in raw processing. Lightroom has the most pleasant workflow. I can't figure out why anyone uses Aperture. They delivered nice quality with minimal adjustment early on, but they don't seem to have anything outstanding at this point. Lightroom is reasonably fast, and the file instructions add very little in the way of storage requirements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.