Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djdeepv

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
I am having a real tough time deciding between these two machines. I am neutral on things like battery life and portability between these models.

The new MBA specced to have 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD is $1529 on student discount. The 2018 13" TB MBP specced the same with a quad-core CPU is $1699 for me.

I'm a web developer who doesn't do anything terribly intensive, but am worried about the MBA's CPU being weak. Is $220 ($170 + $50 for AppleCare difference) a reason to move from the MBA to the MBP? Thanks for any help, really looking to order my first computer in 5 years.

Reactions: elhungarian

sakabaro

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2015
It will be a choice between portability or performance.

Personally, I am more happy with a portable laptop than a performant one, so I just ordered an Air. I also do dev, RoR dev.

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
It will be a choice between portability or performance.

Personally, I am more happy with a portable laptop than a performant one, so I just ordered an Air. I also do dev, RoR dev.
Weirdly, the MBA is actually .2 mm thicker and only .07lbs lighter. Hardly more portable.

Reactions: filmbuff

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
So the 13-inch MacBook Pro isn't portable because at 1,37 kg it's 120 grams heavier than the new MacBook Air? Lol okay.

Reactions: SHKLMRE

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I think the only plus the MBA has is battery life. Every thing else would point to the tb pro.

Ports, Cores, Screen.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
at the price apple is charging, the mba doesn't make any sense, ppl arguing for portability is nit picking at its finest, the mbp honestly is so light and thin alrdy that i double anyone would notice,

you literally can put a pencil in the bag and the bag will be as heavy with a mbp in it.

i would get mbp simply for the quad core reason,

Reactions: Howard2k

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I’d go the for the MBP TB. You may not need as much power as that offers, but you may come to a point the 5W is slowing you down (and I can see that happening with a little bit of crazy Javascript ;)).

Also, you’ll have a 500 nit P3 TrueTone display, not a 300 nit SRGB one.

You do end up having to accept the TouchBar as a compromise however.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
at the price apple is charging, the mba doesn't make any sense, ppl arguing for portability is nit picking at its finest, the mbp honestly is so light and thin alrdy that i double anyone would notice,

you literally can put a pencil in the bag and the bag will be as heavy with a mbp in it.

i would get mbp simply for the quad core reason,

I agree, I would go for the quad core. But I have a 13" dual core. So replacing it with another 13" dual core is going to be a pretty poor ROI, I have no choice to go for a quad core.

But for someone who has no existing footprint in the MacBook space, I don't think it's the same story. For 13" at the bottom end there is the MBA and nTB MBPro. For 8/256, they're priced at $1,399 and $1,499 respectively. Both are 13", both have two TB3, one is going to sustain higher performance for longer, most likely, and one is going to be a touch lighter. For $100 difference, I'm not sure that it's really that confusing. For the 8/256 TB with Quad Core it's $1,799, so $300 more but arguably twice the processing power. Sure, it's only $300, but for someone buying their first MacBook maybe that's too much of a differential.

Until we see benchmarks it's tough to call of course. But I don't think it's that difficult to differentiate between the models.

And I'm not trying to suggest that my 2015 13" is the same performance as the current dual core generation (MBPro and MBA).

Reactions: ilikewhey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.