Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

nolanbushnell.jpg
The Next Web has dug up a video of Atari founder Nolan Bushnell's keynote presentation at Campus Party Brasil, where he spent time remembering Steve Jobs' work at Atari as well as talking about segments of his upcoming book "Finding the Next Steve Jobs."
What is one of the characteristics that made Steve Jobs successful? He was creative, but you know what else was really important? He was a very, very, very hard worker. How many of my employees did I find sleeping under their desks when I came in early on a Monday morning? Not many. Did he kinda smell bad? Yeah. That's cause we didn't have showers, and if you didn't go home for two or three days you could get gamey.
Bushnell goes on to mention that one of the most important messages he gave Jobs was that if 99 percent of people thought something was crazy, and the one percent that created the idea thought it was cool then the idea's creator should "pursue it with all vigor." This message has been echoed by Apple and Jobs multiple times, including in Apple's "Here's to The Crazy Ones" commercial and "Think Different" slogan.

He packs his hour-long talk -- the Jobs portion starts at the 13:00 minute mark -- with additional anecdotes about Jobs and Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, like how Jobs offered Bushnell a third of Apple for $50,000, which Bushnell passed on.

Article Link: Atari Founder Nolan Bushnell on Steve Jobs at Atari and Finding the Next Jobs

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
I disagree. Showering is very important for hygiene and can stave off cancer.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The biography suggested SJ was smelly because he was a hippie... but I suppose this "worked too hard to have time to shower" explanation lines up with what I gathered Jobs was like, too.

daverso

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Nice to hear something positive about Steve for a change. Seems like there's been more coverage about his bad habits than his good since his passing.

Kind of bizzare that the sleeping under the desk wasn't mentioned from what I recall in the biography... Puts his 'smelling' into perspective a bit. Makes me like Steve any more.

M

Mr.damien

"How many of my employees did I find sleeping under their desks when I came in early on a Monday morning? Not many."

Show the way and start to sleep at work...

The point with SJ is that he WAS the CEO and working hard at work. He was not the CEO asking others to sleep at work. :rolleyes:

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
On the subject of Jobs and showering, I don't think it has to be the case that he didn't shower / could smell as a result because he either spent days at work, or could be a bit of a hippie. Presumably both could have applied.

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ
He was one of the first 50 employees of Atari.

As was Woz, who also developed Breakout, probably the best Pong variant ever.

I was a kid when the 8 bit wars were going on before the IBM PC and always imagined some kind of holy platform war (and for the youngsters it wasn't like today, you had 6 or so different platforms that all had 10-20% market share). Blew my mind that Jobs & Woz worked for Atari.

Last edited:

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
May I ask what was so terrible about it?

I thought that Isaacson was repetitious for one thing (so help me god if I hear, read or see the word "petulant" or variants again in my lifetime! He exceeded the quota twice over, at least); and in spite of the book length, all the interviews, all the research, it felt like Isaacson didn't really get what was so amazing about this computer revolution. I just felt that he is comfortable in thinking in stereotypes. He didn't reach.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Virtual reality glasses could be the next big thing. It's been tried crudely before, but processing power is up to the task now. I wonder about the long term effects though.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest

I was a kid when the 8 bit wars were going on before the IBM PC and always imagined some kind of holy platform war (and for the youngsters it wasn't like today, you had 6 or so different platforms that all had 10-20% market share). Blew my mind that Jobs & Woz worked for Atari.

Bushnell had a great factoid to discuss about Woz. He was never hired in any official capacity by Atari. He got two employees for the price of one.

tknelson

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2006

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
if 99 percent of people thought something was crazy, and the one percent that created the idea thought it was cool

I don't understand this part, can someone explain it to me? What does he mean by the 1% who created it? Why would 1% of people create something, and why wouldn't the people who created the idea think it was cool?

I mean is he basically just saying if 99% of people thing something is crazy and 1% of people think it's cool, it's probably an idea worth pursuing?

Marty Goldberg

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2013
Wow, I didn't know Jobs had been involved with Atari :)

Yes, he was hired in 1974 as a technician. A technician's job there was to work with the engineers and carry out fixes and mods to the game PCBs. Arcade video games in those days were engineered of course, and not programmed.

Sadly, a terrible autobiography.

Well it did get most of the material in his time at Atari wrong.

Bushnell had a great factoid to discuss about Woz. He was never hired in any official capacity by Atari. He got two employees for the price of one.

Another interesting factoid: He didn't hire Steve Jobs as he's claimed in recent pr, Al Alcorn did.

To be clear, Woz engineered a prototype of Breakout. The game play/idea, etc. was already defined by Nolan and Steve Bristow. Also, his prototype wound up not being used and a new one was created up in Cyan (Grass Valley, Atari's R&D at the time). We actually have the full story on that and on Jobs' time at Atari in our book we released this past November on Amazon (800 pages worth), called "Atari Inc. - Business Is Fun".

Last edited:

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
Virtual reality glasses could be the next big thing. It's been tried crudely before, but processing power is up to the task now. I wonder about the long term effects though.

Reality distortion glasses would sell really well. I mean look at television.

May I ask what was so terrible about it?
(Isaacson)

I had trouble plowing through it after several hundred pages. Isaacson seems dry somehow, ALTM.

Yes, he was hired in 1974 as a technician. A technician's job there was to work with the engineers and carry out fixes and mods to the game PCBs. Arcade video games in those days were engineered of course, and not programmed.

Welcome, Marty!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.