Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

U.S. coffee chain Dunkin' Donuts has added Passbook support to its iPhone app, allowing users to pay for their coffee and donuts with a virtual gift card stored on their phone. Starbucks added similar support to its iPhone app back in October.

dunkindonuts.jpg
PAY RIGHT FROM THE APP WITH A VIRTUAL DD(TM) CARD.

Use the app to pay for all your purchases. You can either add a plastic card or purchase a virtual card via the app. Simply tap the DD Card you wish to use and present the barcode to the DD crew member to be scanned, and you're good to go. You can also manage and reload your DD Card right from the app.

APPLE PASSBOOK INTEGRATION

Now you can purchase a virtual card via the Dunkin' App and add it to your Passbook wallet.
Dunkin' Donuts is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Dunkin' Donuts Adds Passbook Support to Its iPhone App

Ecofriend

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2012
Lol, just saw this in the App Store and downloaded it, to come on here and see the story.

pancakedrawer

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Melbourne
So passbook is such a flop that any new company that uses it is newsworthy?
I don't know why Apple bothers including it on non-US phones.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
"Dunkin' Donuts Adds Passbook Support to Its iPhone App"
rather:
"Dunkin' Donuts Adds Pounds To Its Customers"

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Just logged in to my account after downloading the app and realized I have a card active on my account with $2.65!!! The digital equivalent of finding money in your spring/winter coat left over from the prior season! Guess it was worth the (virtual) trip!

----------

On completely unrelated news, the NSA and the state police of every state have just approved iPhones are started issuing them to all policemen.

Ha! To be fair, I heard this is primarily in the northeast. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Fant

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
How is it better handing a DD clerk my $400 phone and get him to try and scan it rather that a free plastic card that I can swipe or tap myself?

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Yay, a more efficient way to get fat!

Coffee doesn't make you fat. In fact NOTHING makes you fat, eating and drinking over our needed caloric intake makes you fat.

To further the point, black coffee, which basically has zero calories has proven to actually burn calories.

And using this app to pay for items you would have purchased anyway doesn't make you fat.

BobVB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2002
If only I had even seen a Dunkin' Donuts in the last 5 years.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
How is it better handing a DD clerk my $400 phone and get him to try and scan it rather that a free plastic card that I can swipe or tap myself?

I've never handed over my phone while at Starbucks. I can't imagine it would be any different at dd.

They just tell me to scan my barcode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.