Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

comScore today released the results of its monthly rolling survey of U.S. mobile phone users for the December-February period, revealing that Apple's smartphone market share rose 3.9 points from November to February going from 35% of total U.S. smartphone platform and hardware sales to 38.9%. Last month's report demonstrated similar growth for Apple.

topsmartphoneoems.jpg

Samsung was the hardware manufacturer with the second largest share of the market at 21.3%, up from 20.3%. HTC, Motorola, and LG all experienced slight drops in market share.

Google's Android is still ranked as the top smartphone platform with 51.7% of smartphone platform share, though it experienced a significant drop from 53.7% in November, which was absorbed by Apple.

topsmartphoneplatforms.jpg

Apple's share increased 3.9 points to 38.9%, while Blackberry came in at 5.4% (down from 7.3%) and Microsoft experienced a slight jump from 3% in November to 3.2% in February. Collectively, Apple and Google control over 90 percent of the smartphone market, up from 87% last month.

comScore's data tracks installed user base rather than new handset sales, which means it is more reflective of real-world usage but slower to respond to shifting market trends than some other studies.

Article Link: Apple Continues to Gain Smartphone Market Share in U.S.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Wonder what Fandroids are going to make up as an excuse now...

Obviously, now that Apple is moving into all sandboxes in the US, the proof is in the pudding that Androids market share was only because Apple was not on every carrier.

Just wait till they get into India and China more and South America...

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
With T mobile in the mix, I think we can finally treat the US market as saturated and the platforms on equal ground going forward. Should be interesting to see what the S4 and One can do against the 5.

doomfront

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Wonder what Fandroids are going to make up as an excuse now...

Obviously, now that Apple is moving into all sandboxes in the US, the proof is in the pudding that Androids market share was only because Apple was not on every carrier.

Just wait till they get into India and China more and South America...

This doesn't make Android phones or the iphone any better or worse. So what's your point

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
This doesn't make Android phones or the iphone any better or worse. So what's your point

It's called equal comparison.

And yes it does make Android worse because they are losing market share to Apple.

When given the option of A or B, that is an equal comparison of choice. Right now, on T-Mobile and other carriers, they have only option A (which is Android). B is appearing in a few weeks for them. The you can start getting true equal comparisons of what customers want.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
"Apple is falling behind."
"Apple has to act more like Samsung if it wants to thrive."
"Apple ceded its crown to Samsung."
"Apple has begun to stumble in the footsteps of Google."

So sick of hearing naysayers say Apple is failing despite their stellar results.

If you don't already subscribe to Daring Fireball, John Gruber's responses to quotes such of these is a good read.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Ugh. :rolleyes:

Ok it turns around when the S4 come out, then it turns around again when the 5S come out, then again with the Note 3, and on and on and on...

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Very interested to see how the HTC One affects these numbers.....

This could be the phone that somewhat disrupts (albeit relatively speaking, I doubt one smartphone will propel HTC into double digits) the Apple/Samsung duopoly.

Now that I am rocking both iOS and Android, I'm making my choices on which Android OEM I want to support and use. The Nexus 4 has been a nice phone (insanely great if you take price into account), but Google's customer service has put me off to them and vanilla Android is great, especially the update cycle, but I think I'd like to move to a more "premium" OEM like HTC.....

I have until September to make up my mind - although given some reviews by tech sites and posters here (thanks MRU!), I'm finding its more a case of "having to wait until September" to purchase the HTC One!

All that said, I'll be VERY interested to see how the market share fluctuates (if at all) this year.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
What is says is one of these is absolutely wrong. You can't have one be so different and the other be so different. Obviously there is a serious flaw in someones data analysis.

Which of course could be the one posted here. ;)

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
What is says is one of these is absolutely wrong. You can't have one be so different and the other be so different. Obviously there is a serious flaw in someones data analysis.

Because Comscore uses surveys. The article is biased an incorrect when says "comScore's data tracks installed user base rather than new handset sales, which means it is more reflective of real-world usage but slower to respond to shifting market trends than some other studies"

It's a survey and surveys can show anything you want. Use Kantars numbers as Business Insider did on April 1st.
http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-trailing-android-in-us-market-share-again-2013-4

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.