157 Democrats vote against tougher penalties for illegal immigrants

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zin, Jun 29, 2017.

1. zin macrumors 6502

What is their endgame? Why have Democrats placed the priorities of illegal immigrants above U.S. citizens?

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

votes & money of course.............

3. darksithpro macrumors regular

DING DING DING!

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I hope you conservatives don't mind higher taxes, cause a mandatory five-year minimum sentence on aliens who illegally reenter the country, is going to be pretty expensive.

5. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Or...

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-acti...s-kates-law-and-crackdown-on-sanctuary-cities

6. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Not sure how effective the Sanctuary City bill will be, but Kate's Law should be a no brainer.
    Imposing tougher penalties on repeat offenders is a great idea.
    Anyone voting against it is doing so purely for political points.

7. zin thread starter macrumors 6502

Why is everything about racism to these Democrats?

When a woman gets murdered by a guy who has been deported five times, residing in a city that refuses to cooperate with federal immigration enforcement, you clearly have a problem.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Anyone that thinks this is a "face value" law, is fooling themselves. And it sucks that they are using an actual victim to market this bill.

9. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

Are you talking about the 3 million illegal voters your Dear Leader is hunting down?

10. darksithpro macrumors regular

I'm not concerned about people already here just trying to make an honest living, that Mexico failed to provide to them, I'm concerned about the gang members and the criminals bringing in the narcotics. Just get rid of those bad people. Mexicans are human beings, however if they're here illegally they must face some form of penalty. That doesn't mean I'm not compassionate though. If they're good people, trying to make an honest living I would try to work out some deal, where a path to citizenship can be achieved. The reason I say this is because if things where reversed I would definitely try to get my family to America for a better life.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 29, 2017 ---

I think Democrats are exploiting the Mexican people for votes. I don't blame them for trying to put food on the table and to look after their family.

11. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

It's a bad bill that only serves to enlarge the prison industrial system and bleed the US taxpayer dry. Hopefully it will die in the Senate.

https://www.cato.org/blog/kates-law-waste-federal-resources

more at the source.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

ONLY increases the prison system if they are REPEAT offenders. just throwing them back across the border is not a deterrent.

13. darksithpro macrumors regular

Exactly, this only applies to illegals deported that keep sneaking back in. I'd rather they be behind bars than committing crimes in our country.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Humanity?

Nevermind.

You wouldn't understand.

15. darksithpro macrumors regular

So, what would your solution be if a criminal gets deported, then re-enters over and over again, causing crimes against your citizens? Where's the justice for Kate?

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Most undocumented immigrants already serve about 1-2 years just waiting to be deported. What makes you think extra years is a deterrent? Especially since you have some undocumented immigrants in our prison system that make more money than the average middle class worker doing criminal actives behind bars, and sending the money to their families back home. They also get meals, shelter, medical, and etc, on our tax dollars. Like seriously? The REAL criminals are shrugging their shoulders at this.

It's going to increase crime, and the measures used so they won't get caught will be more drastic. Expect much higher identity fraud, violence towards police, and even anti American radicalization.

This Bill/Law is a failure at the start.

17. darksithpro macrumors regular

So, what do the Democrats propose then? Do they have a better idea, or are they just obstructing?

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

That's a good question. I don't believe I've actually heard a great solution from any party as of yet.

19. darksithpro macrumors regular

Did you read that out of the 66,000 deported, 48,000 of them have criminal records? That's 72% of illegals arrested and deported are committing crimes against our citizens in just one year. That's absurd and something has to be done to stop it.

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

That sounds like a shady statistic.

What kind of crimes are they committing? Cause traffic crimes are BS to add in. Are the crimes they are committing, bring them attention to get deported in the first place?

The number of illegals are anywhere from 15 to 30 million. Let's say it's actually 20 million. Are you saying the 72% should be reflective of the entire undocumented population in America? Cause that would mean 14.4 million illegals have criminal records, and I highly doubt that's even close to reality.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Source. As it seems those 1-2 years are not working

22. darksithpro macrumors regular

I'm not saying that. The deportations where probably the result of some unrelated crime, where they got deported afterwards. Even so that means there are at least tens of thousands of people that shouldn't even be in the US that are doing something illegal to get arrested and deported.

23. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

The vast majority of them do not want to come here to commit crimes. They want to work at good, honest jobs. Unfortunately, the politicians have made it virtually impossible for lesser skilled workers to come into the country to work at jobs that Americans quite literally won't do or that pay modest wages. Until the immigration system is fixed in such a way to allow these people to come here and work, (as it used to be) they'll cross without permission. That will be their only crime, and it's petty. This bill serves no-one but the closed border crowd and the prison industrial complex, (who were likely major lobbyists for it). It certainly would not have saved the poor girl who was murdered, as the article I posted points out.

24. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

25. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

The Libertarian Party and the libertarian think tanks have been talking about this for years and have come up with many workable solutions. The Republicans and Democrats don't want to hear them, because they won't make any money off of them, as they will with Kate's Law.