Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Korean site ETNews.com reports [Google translation, via Unwired View] that Apple is working on a new, larger iPad with a display measuring 12.9 inches diagonally, compared to the 9.7-inch display on the current full-size iPad. The larger iPad, which the site apparently in all seriousness says would be called "iPad Maxi", would launch in the first half of 2014 and be intended to target the ultrabook market as well as increase utility for digital textbooks.

ipad.jpg

While some users have expressed a desire for a larger iPad, consumer preference certainly appears to be trending toward smaller screens and more portability rather than larger screens. While the original iPad has experienced significant success, several analysts have estimated that the iPad mini immediately began outselling its larger sibling upon launch late last year.

ETNews.com does not have a particularly solid track record regarding Apple rumors, and is not a frequent rumor source either. Previous incorrect reports have included claims that the iPhone that was ultimately dubbed iPhone 4S would launch in late June 2011 and that the iPhone 5 would take advantage of Liquidmetal alloys and launch in June 2012. More recently, the site claimed that fingerprint sensor firm AuthenTec had cut off its existing customer base after being acquired by Apple, a development that seems likely amid rumors of Apple deploying fingerprint technology on the iPhone 5S.

Article Link: Sketchy Rumor Claims Apple Launching 12.9-Inch 'iPad Maxi' in Early 2014 to Target Ultrabooks

Last edited:

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I want a larger iPad, but that name is ridiculous.

People are buying the mini iPad because its cheaper. With the same data, you could say that customers don't like retina displays because the iPad with a non retina display is outselling the retina iPad.

Also, how can you assume that the Korean site is being serious from a google translation?

organerito

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
I was thinking to buy an iPad to read music. I have tried it and the 9.7 screen a little too small. I would buy immediately a 12.9-inch iPad.

Unfortunately, I don't think it is going to happen.

slprescott

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
Sheet Music

A good use for a larger iPad would be sheet music.

My wife teaches piano, and I've long predicted that tablets will eventually take the place of students carrying stacks of music books. The problem today is the size: the current iPad is significantly smaller than traditional sheet music books. But... an iPad Maxi could cover that much better -- and selling the Maxi to music students would be a very nice (and large) sales entry point.

BanterClaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
UK
At that point doesn't it become too big to hold comfortably?

If you need a screen that big then surely an ultrabook or an Air would be the way to go. I just think that's too big for a tablet.

rdas7

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
London, England
iPad Pro

Come on, isn't 'iPad Pro' the obvious name for this?

With the added size, you'd have space for a bigger battery, more storage and more room for heat dissipation (ergo faster processors), so a "Pro" segment would make sense.

Unlikely to be *early* 2014 though, since the success of such a project would surely hinge on there being "Pro" apps available to take advantage of it.

Reactions: Pupalei

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Won't be happy until every Apple product is available in increments of 0.1" (at least).

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I would go for an iPad this size, especially if they could keep the weight down somehow.

Some of the tasks I use my iPad for, reading programming books, sketching, and taking notes often feel cramped.

But I doubt this rumor and the name seems silly.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I don't know why they have to give each model a unique name. They don't do it with their computers, so why not just call it the iPad - available in 3 screen sizes. Sounds better than the iPad, iPad mini and iPad maxi.

A4 size iPad sounds good to me. I bet a lot of people would ditch their laptop for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.