Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mossberg_swisher_cook_d11.jpg
Hours after Apple CEO Tim Cook's talk with AllThingsD's Kara Swisher and Walt Mossberg, AllThingsD has posted the full video of the interview online. The 81-minute video contains the full interview in addition to the Q&A session that followed. MacRumors provided live updates of the event. Last year it took several weeks for the full video to find its way online.

Steve Jobs was a regular participant of the D conference, having been interviewed on the stage and even appearing alongside Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates. Cook has carried on that tradition by serving as the opening session interview for the past two years.

Among the topics discussed by Cook yesterday:

- Apple Television - There Is a Grand Vision
- Wearables Are Incredibly Interesting, Nothing Great on the Market
- Executive Change Up Has Been "Great", Revamped iOS/OS X to Be Unveiled at WWDC
- Apple to Open Up APIs in the Future, but No Chat Heads
- Apple Hires Former EPA Chief Lisa Jackson to Oversee Environmental Efforts

Article Link: Full Video of Tim Cook's D11 Interview Now Available

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
Its interesting how he has changed.. he is speaking with much more authority and less in Steve's shadow now.

Byrnes3969

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2009
Let me save you all a lot of time

Tim: We're still doing ok, I'm alot like Steve. We have really exciting products coming out. But I'm not going to say what, when or how much.

Walt: Thanks for being on the show. Good Night.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
An exciting year seems to be ahead for Apple, even if it's only the iOS revamp.

Don't screw it up.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I wish Tim had a better answer of the phone question. I got where he was going but he didn't really put it all together very well. These Wall Street bozos fret about Apple's margins shrinking on the one hand but on the other keep screaming that Apple needs to release a cheap plastic phone for China. Or worse they want Apple to morph into Samsung and dump product out there at every conceivable size and price point. Tim has to know these questions will be asked. He should have a better answer for them.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
I like Cook. He conveys as being genuinely pleasant as opposed to the psychopathic superficial charm you sometimes see in other CEOs ;)

fjfjfjfj

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
New York, NY
Interviewer

I'm sorry to be critical, because I certainly have many flaws that could be picked apart. But from a purely professional standpoint I feel that Kara Swisher does not seem qualified to conduct these interviews. It comes across as though she doesn't have the technical knowledge necessary and I would even argue many of her questions seem juvenile, haphazard, or off-topic.

I certainly don't know this nice woman or her background in the technology industry, this is just how it comes across to me.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I'm sorry to be critical, because I certainly have many flaws that could be picked apart. But from a purely professional standpoint I feel that Kara Swisher does not seem qualified to conduct these interviews. It comes across as though she doesn't have the technical knowledge necessary and I would even argue many of her questions seem juvenile, haphazard, or off-topic.

I certainly don't know this nice woman or her background in the technology industry, this is just how it comes across to me.

I have thought the same with many of her previous interviews that have been posted over the past few years. Oddly, she acts much more professional, and sounds more tech savvy on her guest appearances on Twit.TV podcasts.

I am not sure if she gets a bit starstruck, or if something else is going on.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Tim: We're still doing ok, I'm alot like Steve. We have really exciting products coming out. But I'm not going to say what, when or how much.

I would've omitted the "I'm alot like Steve" part but otherwise spot on! :p

ifij775

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Boston, MA

I mostly find her voice irritating, so I'm hoping to find a transcript.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
As much as I'm interested in what Tim has to say, Kara Swisher is almost intolerable.

EDIT: looks like I'm not alone, either.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007

Exactly. Total a nothing interview. Skip it.

rainmanbk

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2006
I'm sorry but the worst part about these D conferences are the hosts. Kara is a complete bitch and I can not stand listening to her stupid questions. Tim talks about usage on the web of Apple devices versus all combined Android devices. Someone starts clapping and she's like 'oh you don't have to clap'. She literally infuriates me. What a worthless person.

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
I wish Tim had a better answer of the phone question. I got where he was going but he didn't really put it all together very well. These Wall Street bozos fret about Apple's margins shrinking on the one hand but on the other keep screaming that Apple needs to release a cheap plastic phone for China. Or worse they want Apple to morph into Samsung and dump product out there at every conceivable size and price point. Tim has to know these questions will be asked. He should have a better answer for them.

Or its an encouraging sign that he isn't overly spending his time being media prepped every time he steps out of Cupertino. As long as the investors don't lose enough faith to threaten the management structure, its not really a big deal imho. Far better to focus on the products and remain tight lipped.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

We KNOW that Apple is secretive and Tim Cook won't answer questions about Apple's future.... so why not ask questions about the past that he CAN answer - like his relationship to Steve Jobs, how he came to Apple, the Apple work environment, his transition to CEO, what working with Jonny Ives is like... etc. etc. etc.

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
I'm sorry but the worst part about these D conferences are the hosts. Kara is a complete bitch and I can not stand listening to her stupid questions. Tim talks about usage on the web of Apple devices versus all combined Android devices. Someone starts clapping and she's like 'oh you don't have to clap'. She literally infuriates me. What a worthless person.

I have always believed these two are overhyped, but your comments just seem obnoxious and bitter.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Is there a link to the actual video or do i have to watch the postage stamp version on the MR article?

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
"Infuriate " is exactly how I felt at that moment too. They bring on the CEO of Apple to talk about Apple, ask him questions about Apple, and as soon as Cook starts talking proudly about Apple and not just some carefully prepared marketing but using actual facts, she shuts him down.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
I watched half of it earlier but found it quite boring.

And yes, Kara is extremely annoying, as always.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Or its an encouraging sign that he isn't overly spending his time being media prepped every time he steps out of Cupertino. As long as the investors don't lose enough faith to threaten the management structure, its not really a big deal imho. Far better to focus on the products and remain tight lipped.

All the questions were very predictable. I still think Apple needs a good answer to the "why aren't you like Samsung" question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.