Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

gmailicon.jpg
Last week Google announced an inbox redesign for both the mobile and desktop versions of Gmail, which was implemented on iOS today via an update to the Gmail app. The new design offers a tabbed layout that supports up to five different organizational tabs to allow users to organize mail into specific categories.

In addition to adding support for the new inbox, the update also brings enhanced notification options, allowing users to select the type of notifications that they want to receive.
New notifications options: Get notified for all messages, only important messages, or none at all, on a per account basis. Customize these settings from the in-app settings page.

Meet the new inbox: If you've enabled the new inbox, your mail is now grouped into categories so that you can see what's new at a glance and decide which emails you want to read when. Primary mail is shown first and it's easy to access and keep track of email in other categories by opening the menu. Configure this feature by going to Gmail.com on your computer.
Gmail for iOS is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Updates Gmail for iOS with Redesigned Inbox, Improved Notifications

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
I love this feature. If only Gmail would give us the option of extending tabs passed just the inbox and let us organize all of our mail this way.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
How do I turn on the notifications for Important messages only as shown in the tutorial?

I've got "All New Mail" and "None" options.

This has been the feature I've been waiting for and is enough to make actually use the Gmail app.

EDIT: Never mind. I had to enable the new inbox on my Gmail account first. Not quite what I wanted. I don't need all of these different types of messages, I just wanted to segment my priority and non-priority messages. I suppose this will work in theory, but it's more than I need. I just want Primary and Other.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Is it faster?

Are the views using native iOS API behavior? Can I double tap to zoom text and drag to scroll a zoomed area? Is the edge view space waste eliminated?

That's what I care about.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
I'll stick with Mailbox. I like that way of keeping my mail organized better. The re notification timers are great as well!

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
"Configure this feature by going to Gmail.com on your computer."

Stupid. Every app that does crap like this is lame. Make an app that does the whole job.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Would love to be able to make this my primary mail app!!!

As well as have some sort of background sync ability. Getting a notification but still having to wait for a) the app to open, and b) the email to actually download is tiresome.

ps45

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
I'd welcome a PIN lock option, so that I can pass my iPad around to people and let them use it without leaving my inbox open. Is there a decent mailbox app that does that?

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I'm using an iphone 5 and it does a lot of thinking while displaying the splash screen.

Perhaps you are on a slow data connection. If Gmail is not in memory I will show a brief loading screen. But generally after I have used it recently, it loads right up.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Perhaps you are on a slow data connection. If Gmail is not in memory I will show a brief loading screen. But generally after I have used it recently, it loads right up.

It's a combination of the fact that it needs to establish a connection before showing you anything (thus load time varies with signal strength, latency, etc.) and that new messages can't auto download in the background. Together, it creates a much slower experience.

addisonm

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2013
As a Gmail user, I really appreciate the capability that this app has. But the UI still feels cheap and the graphics are very laggy.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
Takes way too long to launch--makes it unusable for me.

Sums up how I feel. It's an excellent service. I love that GMail operate on Labels and archiving. I leave important messages labelled in my Inbox, and then sort them with the Archive function when they're no longer needed.

But waiting 2-6 seconds for it to load the application is highly irritating. It's just too long - that's it. So I sacrifice the reason I use GMail above for the rather boring but reliable iOS Mail app.

Also, does the GMail app store messages locally? I always feel a slight lag when opening an e-mail, so I assume it's fetching it from the server. If that's the case, they could do with configuring certain mailboxes to be stored locally for increased fluidity.

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
What phone are you using? It launches fast on my iPhone 5.

I have tons of devices and it's slow on all of them. iPhone 5 and iPad Mini are my primary mobile devices. Slow to me means more than a second (or slower than a comparable app--i.e. the stock Mail app that launches instantaneously and works perfectly well)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.