15GB of 'Other' after all my music went missing.

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by andyp350, Oct 22, 2014.

1. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

After updating to 8.1 all my music was missing from my iPhone 6+. I thought all was well after re-syncing with iTunes but I've since noticed that I know have 15GB of 'other' space taken up on my phone that wasn't there before (The playlists I sync with my phone is also 15GB so i'm guessing that my 'lost' music is now somehow dead data just being classed as other. Any way to get rid of this?

2. Viper3773 macrumors regular

Viper3773

Same thing happens every time I restore my phone for some reason. What I do to fix is simply edit a music file in iTunes (like adding an extra space in the lyrics or something) then re sync. Fixes for me

3. Solver macrumors 6502a

I had this kind of thing happen. My apps turned into more Other each time I synced. Only iTunes seemed effected. After days, I discovered sync only worked right when I ran (Windows 7/iTunes 11.4) in Admin mode. It fixed itself with the latest iTunes update.

4. Zimmy68 macrumors 68000

Zimmy68

This happens to me when I play the iTunes Match game.
    Turning it off when I want to synch local music, then back on to have my entire library available.

5. Mercifull macrumors regular

Mercifull

Tunring off music sync and back on again normally resolves it. However not always. I had this very issue last night with my iPad using up 14GB of my 32GB iPad2. I used a tool called iExplorer to delete all the music from the 'Purchased' folder and then resynced. This sorted it.

6. zeejaydee macrumors member

I've used an called PhoneClean that'll clean up all the failed sync media files. that's usually what causes "other" to bloat like that

7. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

fix without restoring your iphone:
    download iFunbox on your mac (free)

connect your iphone

browse to the root directory and delete all of the contents in the 'purchases' folder.

turn off your iphone and resync your itunes.

all will be well

8. andyp350 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Phoneclean and iFunBox didnt work which is a bit annoying, I don't know what else to try. I think its iTunes match that caused the problem as it defaulted to on after i updated to 8.1. I don't use Match anymore but my subscription is still valid.

9. DARKiLLUSiON macrumors 6502

This!

----------

Try battery doctor, there's a junk remover option and keep doing it over and over again will delete those dead data. Even if it says there's no junk found but if you keep on doing it. It will dig in deeper and I managed to get back 5GB+ free memory.

10. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy