15in MBP how many people upgraded screen resolution (worth it)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by genestar, Jun 3, 2010.

1. genestar macrumors newbie

I am about to pull the trigger on a new MBP and was thinking about paying for the upgrade for a higher resolution. Who out there has done it and what are your thoughts on the upgrade?

2. blackwind macrumors regular

Look! this question pop in and out everyday. You can do a search, there are plenty of talk and comparison.

All i can tell it's all come to you. It's you who stare and use that Screen. It's personal taste and preferences. I found it lovely and big upgrade, i can't stand big ugly font and make thing look too big.

But before i bought this i7 i went into the store twice check out exactly the same thing. I load up my image on my site and (flash site) and i use my dell to view it and then i go into a store using their i7 HS to view it.

I kinda like it.
    Hope that helps

3. Apps macrumors newbie

Apps

I ended up going for the hi-res. Always upgrade everything that you can afford that you can't upgrade later on.

4. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

exactly. go with the hi res, better quality. you would be doing yourself wrong if you chose otherwise.

5. blackwind macrumors regular

But again like i said, search around. Cause there were afew people in this forum, actually return HS for a normal one.

For most of us here enjoy the HS. You might want to go in store and check one of the machine out. What i find when i surf this forum the font abit small but i alway can use the 2 finger to enlarge the page. :p

Bet u didnt relize that features exist :p

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I have a 15" HR AG MBP and I wouldn't have it any other way.

7. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

High res screen is really the only way to go.

8. bestthereis27 macrumors member

I can't believe i went 3 years without this resolution. Looking back at my old Macbook Pro I just laugh. Totally worth it.

9. canderton macrumors member

The hi-res screen is completely worth the money. I honestly think it should be standard. I've got the HR glossy, and I've got a friend with the standard glossy and the standard display is ok, but everything is just so much crisper and sharper on the hi-res, not to mention you gain an additional ~30% of screen real estate. And all the people you hear about who return their HR for a standard display because they think the text is too small, they need to have their eyes checked. My eyesight isn't great and I have no problem whatsoever with the text. And if it is too small, in most cases you can zoom.

Just get the hi-res and don't look back.

10. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

The regular resolution, 1440 x 900 screen is perfect in my opinion.

It's the correct resolution for a 15" screen but the high resolution craze continues ... it's personal preference and I strongly suggest somehow you compare the two yourself before deciding.

Small fonts aren't for me and if you search on the forum here you'll find a number of people have exchanged their hi-res for the lower res screen.

You have to try/see it for yourself, that's the best way.

11. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

got hi-res and definitely don't regret it, especially watching 720p movies

12. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

My MacBook Pro just came tonight, and I absolutely love it. It's not only the most powerful Mac I've ever used, but the most beautiful as well. And especially compared to the other uMBPs out there.

I got the 15" High-Res Anti-Glare display. First of all, the display is phenomenal, looking better out of the box (read: without calibration) than my calibrated 22" Samsung LCD which runs at the same resolution.

In terms of sheer screen quality, HR is definitely worth it.

Second though, when you get the HR display and choose anti-glare as well, there is no black panel around the LCD. I have to tell you, in person, that makes the computer look so much better in my opinion. Much sleeker, and unified.

I say go for it - best decision I made for my purchase.

13. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Gonna have to go and disagree with you. Even though OS X doesn't really scale with resolution, 1680x1050 looks miles better than 1440x900; 1440x900 is definitely not the "right" resolution for a 15" screen. Small fonts are totally overblown; they really aren't that small and that complaint continues to boggle me.

Really the only reason to go for the standard display is if you're strapped for cash or nearly blind.

14. picklesmand macrumors member

So, I've had the 15" Hi Res antiglare for a week, and I think the screen is absolutely beautiful. At first I bumped up the fonts on certain websites, but my eyes have adjusted, and everything just looks "normal" now. I really notice the pixelation in the lower-res screen now, especially in text. Go check the hi-res out at a store.

15. bigjobby macrumors 65816

hi-res is the way to go. Once you get used to it, anything at lower res becomes too large. I've been using hi-res screens for years and really hated anything lesser. One thing I wished Apple would fix though are the icon sizes in the applications menu... they're way too large.

16. parkjoony macrumors newbie

True True, I was used to a lower resolution screen until i got my hands on the 1920x1080p screen and then you'll never want to go back. Especially beautiful screens that Apple provides. High Resolution makes pictures more sharper and smoother. One thing lower resolution screen has over the high resolution screens are better frame rates obcourse. =)

17. recKz macrumors newbie

Personally I saved the £80 and am going to put it towards a display when Apple released a new updated one. Plus I got it the day after release while everyone with the hi-res was waiting a week or so when they were first released.

If you're going to be travelling a lot, or have a lot of money then sure get the higher resolution screen. But for me the standard resolution screen with (hopefully) an 27" display and 2560x1440 will turn out to be a better investment.

18. apple.gr macrumors regular

For me HiRes is a very worthy upgrade but as others already have said you have to see them both on your own. If you choose HiRes the only thing I want to say you is that glossy is a very good screen and does not have so much glare.

19. Tom71 macrumors regular

Tom71

I agree - get Hires. I though bumped up the font sizes in mail.app but haven't had the need to do anything else - everything is perfectly readable with the hires screen without any zoom etc. And I'm also not with the best eye sight. And also it hides Mac OS' blurry font smoothing ...

20. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Absolutely agree. It's personal preference. I tried for two weeks going to the Apple Store to convince myself to get the hi res ag and every time ended up back to the standard res. It is just a matter of what you like personally and what works for you. Go to the Apple Store and make the comparisons.

21. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I've been waiting years for Apple to finally offer hi-res on the 15" MacBook Pro. It's what I'm used to at work, & have used for years on a ThinkPad.

Two great things happened so far this year, work opened up & now allow us to use Macs, & finally I could buy a new MBP with a hi-res matte display. Wonders never cease... :)

22. rev.b macrumors regular

rev.b

15" 1680x1050 makes fonts too small and I'd get eye strain if using it for more than one hour. But then, I may getting old.

I do have a 1680x1050 20" iMac and I feel that's an adequate resolution for a 20", not a 15" screen.

As always, opinions may vary. But many people here defending the hi-res option are just bragging rights for getting the latest and greatest tech, not for the real usefulness of it.

23. amarcus macrumors 6502

Hear, hear!

24. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

The real irony is Apples so called "Hi-Res" is not hi-res anywhere except in AppleLand. Likewise it's only the latest & greatest in Apple Speak.

In the PC space, there are three resolutions for 15" displays that have been offered _for years_ on ThinkPads & others.

Stepping out of the Steve Jobs "Reality Distortion Field" the facts are 1680x1050 is medium res, 1920x1200 is high res.

It's "Magical & Revolutionary" ... :)

25. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

I have to disagree. The vast majority of Windows notebooks have pixel densities lower than even the 15" standard res. Most of the 15" ones have the resolution of the 13" MacBook (Pro).