15inch iMac Production

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Digitimes is reporting that Apple will stop 15" iMacs production come October.

The move is meant to make room for an upgrade to the 17-inch liquid-crystal display (LCD) monitor, they said, but more importantly, to allow Apple to reduce inventory accumulated from more positive days.

The article is vague regarding the final outcome of this move -- but appears to be due to decreased demand rather than an actual discontinuation of the 15" model.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Originally posted by 8thDegreeSavage
Cool!
Sorry, but that isn't "cool." High demand and computers flying off the shelf is cool. The discontinuation of a computer because of poor demand and stagnant inventories is definately not cool.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
15" iMacs aren't selling

Fact is, that 15" iMacs just aren't selling.

Nobody wants to spend $1400 on a machine with a 15" monitor no matter how cool it looks. And, it's hard to convince them that a 15" LCD actually gives you more real estate than a 15" CRT. It just doesn't "make sense" to the consumer.

The 17" model is surely selling much better.

If they offered eMacs in multiple colors, they'd probably sell better too regardless of the aesthetic du jour at Apple.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
I hope they don't, I'd rather see the 15" be discounted than extinguished. Apple tends to do this, they tend to discontinue or fade out a low-end product to make room for the higher end ones when what they could do is diffirentiate the two better. If I were in the market for a new iMac, the 17" screen wouln't be the only thing I'd be looking at.
Maybe what they're doing is positioning the eMac in place of the low-end iMac, which would be a better solution.
:)

lazyrighteye

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
All 16:9 Displays?

Did I read somewhere (or was it just a dream)... is Apple moving to an all LCD flat panel, wide angle only display scheme?

Our field of vision is not square. Why work in a box?

Down with the square,
lazyrighteye

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
I finally saw the imacs and emac in person, and sorry, but the emac is even worse looking than the original imac.

No offense or anything, but I can tell you many, many other pc users see the original imac or now the emac, and suffer from abdominal cramping.

(edit) that came across as off topic, but what I was trying to get at is that the 15" imac is a far superior machine as a low end mac than the emac. Even though it may be less durable (for bratty kids), it is a far more aesthetically pleasing machine.

chubakka

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
eMac

PC users gaging at an eMac? Look at a gateway or compaque lately? eeek

But the 15inch iMac is better looking... my point was is that LCD prices are dropping... the 17inch iMac may be the full line up... from DVD superdrive on down to the low-end... same prices as 15inch.

carta

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2002
Madison, AL
eMac's beauty

Surely the original iMac beats the eMac in any beauty contest. I think that's due to the simplicity of the eMac's case, with it's lack of distinguishing details other than the elementary school charm of the big speakers and big optical drive door.

But boy, he/she's got it where it counts. For $1299 you can have it with 1 GB of RAM. Although 1 GB might be overkill for the speed of the processor to handle typical tasks, like Photoshop renderings or MP3 conversions. Dunno.

But it appears you can get a lot for a little with the eMac.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by mcrain
I finally saw the imacs and emac in person, and sorry, but the emac is even worse looking than the original imac.

No offense or anything, but I can tell you many, many other pc users see the original imac or now the emac, and suffer from abdominal cramping.

(edit) that came across as off topic, but what I was trying to get at is that the 15" imac is a far superior machine as a low end mac than the emac. Even though it may be less durable (for bratty kids), it is a far more aesthetically pleasing machine.
I'll have to agree with you, but this is what seems to be happening. Apple's moving away from pretty computers and heading towards function. The eMac came out of nowhere and blurred the lines between it and the iMac, specwise at least. The iMac may be the better looking machine, but if I were just looking at the specs, I'd have to choose the eMac. 17" screen, 800Mhz G4, and a Superdrive for $1499! Now in reality, the 17" isn't a widescreen and it's viewable area may be only 16", but that's not how they're marketing it. I'd rather see them deeply discount the 15" iMac (but not past the eMac for education) and market it as the right-above-eMac consumer machine.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
If they discontinue the 15" iMac that should mean that the 15" LCD Monitor should be going too. I'm sure with the huge stocks of LCD displays apple would have to buy to bring out a 17" only line of iMacs would pass the cost down to the monitors aswell.

15" for over £500 is a joke when you can get a branded 17" LCD for that.

17" for over £800 is also overpriced, replace it with a 19" 16:9 display and it's worth it without being too cheap.

chubakka

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
rebates...

I think they have some rebate thing going on thier LCDs right now...
buy a G4 and get $100 - $200 off... depending on the size of course.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Another quote from the Digitimes article
These companies have enjoyed a healthy profit manufacturing the iMac due to its complex design, which takes more than 100 steps to assemble. But that may be changing soon, as Apple has pressured suppliers to lower costs, paving the way for future price cuts.
This is very good news! GO APPLE!!! :D :D :D

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
There was no 15" iMac revision since January! No wonder sales are low. Those things are really slow.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by Megaquad
There was no 15" iMac revision since January! No wonder sales are low. Those things are really slow.
they're not really slow by any means....

they're consumer machines. that's that.

still, there should've been an update other than the monitor....

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
Okay, here's what I'd like for Apple to do with their next big releases:

1. If they're going to release new displays, please make them dual input, preferably a seperate VGA because not everybody has a digital output yet (the CRT's not dead yet Steve), and that's the only thing keeping me from buying one is because you can only hook up one frelling motitor to it. All other LCD's with similar specs and quality have more than one input, but Apple has to think different and only put one connector on it and of course it has to be their specific design. Yes I know there is a VGA to ADC adapter out there, but it's $400 (choke, hack, cough) and it still only supports one connection. There are also ADC switchboxes out there, but for the price of one of those, I can buy a refurbished 15".

1.5: Either #1 or come out with a multilik adapter like SGI did with the 1600sw. It had DVI and VGA inputs and an Open LDI output which hooked up to the monitor.

2. Don't get rid of the 15" iMac, just lower the price down some. If you are going to discontinue it, make sure the low-end 17" is the same price as the previous 15" People aren't going for your over priced and under powered computers anymore. If you want some more switchers and a bit more marketshare, you're going to have to give up some of your 30% profit margins.

Sorry for the long and somewhat off-topic rant, but Apple's going to have to compromise if it wants more marketshare.
:)

Pin-Fisher

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2002
Marlton NJ
Im sorry....but after getting my new 17" iMac I am EXTREMELY dissapointed. It is NOT!! I repeat NOT a 17" monitor WITH widescreen it IS a 15" monitor stretched so they can measure diagonally and say its a 17" monitor. Don't beleive me?? GO measure the height of a 17" Mac LCD screen and then measure the height of the iMac...Notice a big difference?? Yep the sure as hell is....It a load of marketing doo doo. I know, I have one..and I'm not very happy. Its just not right to advertise them like that!!

I still have 7 dyas to return it.....and yes its that bad!!

Attachments

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Pin-Fisher
I repeat NOT a 17" monitor WITH widescreen it IS a 15" monitor stretched so they can measure diagonally and say its a 17" monitor.
That's what a "17" monitor" means. 17" measured from corner to corner. Now, it may get a little hazy with the whole widescreen... but that's what I would expect. 17" from corner to corner = 17" screen.

...and for CRT's, that doesn't mean 17" viewable space.. just that the tube is 17inches.

arn

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by arn

That's what a "17" monitor" means. 17" measured from corner to corner. Now, it may get a little hazy with the whole widescreen... but that's what I would expect. 17" from corner to corner = 17" screen.

...and for CRT's, that doesn't mean 17" viewable space.. just that the tube is 17inches.

arn
thank you arn for clearing that up to him. so many people don't understand how a monitor is measured. grrrrrrrrr

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Im sorry....but after getting my new 17" iMac I am EXTREMELY dissapointed. It is NOT!! I repeat NOT a 17" monitor WITH widescreen it IS a 15" monitor stretched so they can measure diagonally and say its a 17" monitor. Don't beleive me?? GO measure the height of a 17" Mac LCD screen and then measure the height of the iMac...Notice a big difference?? Yep the sure as hell is....It a load of marketing doo doo. I know, I have one..and I'm not very happy. Its just not right to advertise them like that!!

Hellloooooooo... Is Steve Ballmer taking your calls now??? What did you expect??? 17" WIDESCREEN, means 17" from corner to corner. No, it's not much higher than the 15", but it's h*ll of a lot w i d e r....

And the resolution is much better also (1440*900). Now go buy a Gateway with a 19" monitor with 1024*768 pixels and 69 Hz refresh rate!

soilchmst

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2002
iMac sales

For the last six months, the iMacs have been selling just a little bit less units than the rest of the entire Apple computer lineup combined. Jobs is my hero, people really like the new design. I think the entire line will move to 17 inch soon, but the iMacs are selling like hotcakes starting at just 1299 :D
As for my guess on what will come out at Paris: faster iBook, iPhone, and IBM Power4 powered Powermac Servers and Xserves :) :p I would guess there would be more, but I don't want to get your hopes up ;)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Originally posted by edvniow
Yes I know there is a VGA to ADC adapter out there, but it's $400 (choke, hack, cough) and it still only supports one connection. There are also ADC switchboxes out there, but for the price of one of those, I can buy a refurbished 15".
$400!!!

What kind of video card do you have? If it doesn't have an ADC connect, doesn't it have DVI? Most of the newer cards do, Mac and PC. A DVI to ADC adapter is only $150. Plus you can get an ATI Radeon 9000 with ADC retail. Also $150. Even if you have a PC, DVI to ADC is much cheaper. Most of the people who spend that much on an Apple Display have one of the 2 already.

Not that I disagree with you. Quite to the contrary, I completely agree. If nothing else than to be able to plug in 2 computers, or to sell more to the PC folks.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002

Gotta be a troll, right? You plunked down $2000 on the new iMac without having seen it in person?

15" imac: 1024 x 768 = 786,432 pixels
17" imac: 1440 x 900 = 1,296,000 pixels

that's 64% more pixels...

As a way of comparison, the 17" studio display, which costs $999 by itself or $799 with a powermac, has a 1280 x 1024 resolution which comes out to 1,310,720 pixels.

The whole diagonal measuring convention is not really applicable when you compare screens of different aspect ratios. The pixel count is more representative of what kind of desktop real estate you get. And in that regard, the 17" imac screen is pretty sweet. And it being widescreen makes it doubly sweeet for watching DVDs.