15inch LCD and 15inch iMac Discontinued?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Not to take away from IBM's new PowerPC news... it appears that changes are coming soon for other parts of Apple's line.

Apple's 15" LCD iMac is close to be discontinued with removal of the unit from dealers' lists as well as inventories approaching zero across the country. Digitimes reported back in August that 15" LCD iMacs would be discontinued in October, and they appear to be correct. In May, they also reported that 19inch iMacs were on the way, however current sources don't correspond with this prediction.

Apple's 15" LCD also appears to be approaching EOL status, and updates have been expected. Apple currently has Display Rebates until December 31, 2002.

MacManiac1224

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2001
NY
Finally! They haven't updated the iMac since Jan 2002, it is time for an upgrade Apple! What specs, I can only guess, my predictions:

iMac 17 across the board (I don't think we are going to see any 19 inch displays yet)
800-900mhz low end

most likely 1ghz high end,
new graphics card, higher speed cdrw drives, and bigger hard drives. I am not sure about the memory, but I think 128mb is going to stay on the low end, and high end will have 512mb.

What do you guys think?

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
I'm betting on 900-1100MHz, with a possible bus speed change. This might be a little much, but I doubt we'll see only 100MHz seperating the two products, and I doubt that we'll still have an 800MHz iMac available.

Although, I do believe that we'll see the last of the iMac 15" (if slowly).

One possibility is that we'll see 15" iMacs phased out with the 15" iMac being placed at the low-end with an 800MHz processor, and removed when supplies run out.

Flyers486

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2002
Philadelphia Area, Jersey Side
Apple can't upgrade the iMac any higher than 1ghz...it just wouldn't make sense. However an all 17inch lineup does not make sense either...but an upgrade is in order...superdrives across the line (important in my mind)...Oh by the way are the current 17inchs sold out too?...anyway my predictions

15-inch low end (until Mac World San Fran where 19inch is introduced)
800 mhz processor
100mhz systembus
Superdrive
60 Gb Hard Disc
Gf2MX
1399$

17inch middle
800 mhz processor
100 mhz bus
Superdrive
80 GB Hard Drive
Gf4mx
1799$

17inch high end
933 mhz processor (or 1ghz possibly)
133 sysbus
Superdrive
100GB Hard Drive
Built in BlueTooth
Ati Radeon 9000
2099$ (to 1999$ by December 1st)

Updates made at same time as Powerbooks and new bluetooth device

Its just to crazy for the 19inch already (thats a big deal update)...Superdrive eMac same price as 15inch iMac

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Flyers486
Apple can't upgrade the iMac any higher than 1ghz...it just wouldn't make sense. However an all 17inch lineup does not make sense either...but an upgrade is in order...superdrives across the line (important in my mind)...Oh by the way are the current 17inchs sold out too?...anyway my predictions
17inch models still around.

15inch models unavailable at this time.

arn

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Given that the 15" iMacs appear to be history (as in, completely gone, not just relegated to the low-end), we have to assume that Apple will be able to sell the 17" version for nearly the same price as corresponding 15" model. It would not make sense for them to raise prices on the iMac to accommodate the larger display. With the cost of flat panels declining, they might be able to pull this off.

gozman

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2002
Goodbye 15" Studio Displays at the Apple Store for Education

I just checked the Apple Store for Education Institutions(K-12) and there are no listings of the 15" LCD Studio display ANYWHERE! (all listing have been removed) I believe that is pretty concrete evidence that they are EOL.

who know's what tomorrow will bring......

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by IJ Reilly
Given that the 15" iMacs appear to be history (as in, completely gone, not just relegated to the low-end), we have to assume that Apple will be able to sell the 17" version for nearly the same price as corresponding 15" model. It would not make sense for them to raise prices on the iMac to accommodate the larger display. With the cost of flat panels declining, they might be able to pull this off.
The only caveat is that they could introduce new 15" models with new product numbers.

All that can be assumed is the current 15" product line is going to be discontinued.

arn

Postal

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2002
Ottawa, ON, Canada
I agree on the all-17" possibility, given the various sources seeming to point to the same thing. I also suspect that they'll move to a 133 MHz bus, as the PowerMacs will be beyond that within a month or two of MWSF.

Here's what I'd realistically expect to see, assuming this holds true:

CD-RW

- 867 MHz G4
- 133 MHz system bus
- 256 MB of PC133 memory
- GF4 MX video
- 17" widescreen display
- 60 GB hard drive
- $1299

Combo

- 867 MHz G4
- 133 MHz system bus
- 256 MB of PC133 memory
- GF4 MX video
- 17" widescreen display
- 60 GB hard drive
- Apple Pro Speakers
- $1499

Superdrive

- 1 GHz G4
- 133 MHz system bus
- 512 MB of PC133 memory
- GF4 MX video
- 17" widescreen display
- 80 GB hard drive
- Apple Pro Speakers
- $1799 (maybe $1699)

If the 19" iMac is true, it would be in a similar setup as the Superdrive model mentioned above, but possibly with better video (maybe a Radeon 9000 Pro?) and, more likely, a 120 GB hard drive. It would have the same going price as the current 17" iMac ($1999).

If you're more pragmatic, drop every screen size down a notch (so we're back to 15/15/15/17 again, just with better specs).

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by Postal
I agree on the all-17" possibility, given the various sources seeming to point to the same thing. I also suspect that they'll move to a 133 MHz bus, as the PowerMacs will be beyond that within a month or two of MWSF.

Here's what I'd realistically expect to see, assuming this holds true:

CD-RW

- 867 MHz G4
- 133 MHz system bus
- 256 MB of PC133 memory
- GF4 MX video
- 17" widescreen display
- 60 GB hard drive
- $1299

Combo

- 867 MHz G4
- 133 MHz system bus
- 256 MB of PC133 memory
- GF4 MX video
- 17" widescreen display
- 60 GB hard drive
- Apple Pro Speakers
- $1499

Superdrive

- 1 GHz G4
- 133 MHz system bus
- 512 MB of PC133 memory
- GF4 MX video
- 17" widescreen display
- 80 GB hard drive
- Apple Pro Speakers
- $1799 (maybe $1699)

If the 19" iMac is true, it would be in a similar setup as the Superdrive model mentioned above, but possibly with better video (maybe a Radeon 9000 Pro?) and, more likely, a 120 GB hard drive. It would have the same going price as the current 17" iMac ($1999).

If you're more pragmatic, drop every screen size down a notch (so we're back to 15/15/15/17 again, just with better specs).
These stats seem the most reasonable out of anyone here. But I think that the prices will be $100-$200 more expensive then her put.

railthinner

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
I'm guessing all will become widescreen. Hence, we'll see a 15"widescreen at the low end of the imac line. hopefully the new flat panels come out soon for us power mac owners. That's where we need to see the 19" widescreen.

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
19'

19' inch imac will be very expensive....probably $2,400 for 19' imac...I don't think regular consumer will spend that much money for crappy PowerPc processor..

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Re: 19'

Originally posted by kaneda
...I don't think regular consumer will spend that much money for crappy PowerPc processor..
I really don't think we need comments like that. Why are you here if you think the PPC is "crappy"? All the recent hype about the new IBM chip is getting out of hand. It's still the same old story:

- If you need a new computer NOW, get one.

- If you can hang on, hang on then.

- If you contantly want the technology not released for another 9 months, then you'll never get any. Tomorrow never comes etc.

Look at all the cool stuff the G4 has done, is doing, and might do in the future, it's pretty impressive in my world - and like all things in the Apple world, things do get better and better.

And, on the iMac topic, a 15" widescreen would be nice, and so would 19", it's not like they're gonna get smaller! Before the 17" came out, I wanted one but couldn't step down from the screen on my PBG4.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Re: 19'

Originally posted by kaneda
19' inch imac will be very expensive....probably $2,400 for 19' imac...I don't think regular consumer will spend that much money for crappy PowerPc processor..
Fact is, many high end desktop PCs sell for around $2,999 and don't even have 19" LCD widescreen monitors, so $2,400 would be a good deal. ;)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Originally posted by arn
The only caveat is that they could introduce new 15" models with new product numbers.

All that can be assumed is the current 15" product line is going to be discontinued.
Of course that's another possible scenario. I'm piecing together the current rumor with the rumor of a month or so ago that 15" iMac production had ceased, and coming to the hopeful conclusion that the entire iMac line is going 17-inch. Either way, we should know soon.

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Re: Goodbye 15" Studio Displays at the Apple Store for Education

Originally posted by gozman
I just checked the Apple Store for Education Institutions(K-12) and there are no listings of the 15" LCD Studio display ANYWHERE! (all listing have been removed) I believe that is pretty concrete evidence that they are EOL.

who know's what tomorrow will bring......
The regular apple store is the same way. No 15" LCDs to be found. Not in the display section or as an option with the powermacs (nor the rebate offer). Just 17,22, and 23" displays.

Escher

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2001
Dakar, Senegal
Re: Re: Goodbye 15" Studio Displays at the Apple Store for Education

Originally posted by CTYankee
The regular apple store is the same way. No 15" LCDs to be found. Not in the display section or as an option with the powermacs (nor the rebate offer). Just 17,22, and 23" displays.
But the 15" LCD iMacs are still everywhere. I seriously doubt that Apple will discontinue the 15" LCD iMacs. Why on earth would Apple discontinue the 15" LCD iMac and rob the budget consumer of the pleasure of using an LCD? That makes no sense whatsoever!

Escher

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Re: Re: 19'

Originally posted by Shrek

Fact is, many high end desktop PCs sell for around $2,999 and don't even have 19" LCD widescreen monitors, so $2,400 would be a good deal. ;)
LOL no it wouldn't. I could get a PC with a 19 inch LCD monitor with equivalent speed for a lot cheaper. There will always be a better deal in the PC world, when comparing it to the mac world. PCs are cheaper, but if you have the money get a mac.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Re: Re: Re: Goodbye 15" Studio Displays at the Apple Store for Education

Originally posted by Escher

But the 15" LCD iMacs are still everywhere. I seriously doubt that Apple will discontinue the 15" LCD iMacs. Why on earth would Apple discontinue the 15" LCD iMac and rob the budget consumer of the pleasure of using an LCD? That makes no sense whatsoever!

Escher
People aren't saying that there won't be anymore low priced LCD macs. They are just saying that apple is going to release a better iMac soon enough.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Anyone who is expecting Apple to update a product now, and then again at MWSF is dreaming. Especially the iMac. How long has this current version been around? Jan. is only a few months away, and I doubt the new IBM chip will be ready by then either.

Hopefully we'll be looking at a 1 GHz with a 133 FSB at the top end, no DDR, better VC, bigger HD, new SuperDrives, etc.

The current display promo ends Dec. 31st. Widescreen across the line, lowered prices.

Hope I'm wrong, and it's better, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up. Again.

veedubdrew

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
New iMac tomorrow

Originally posted by solvs
Anyone who is expecting Apple to update a product now, and then again at MWSF is dreaming. Especially the iMac. How long has this current version been around? Jan. is only a few months away, and I doubt the new IBM chip will be ready by then either.

Hopefully we'll be looking at a 1 GHz with a 133 FSB at the top end, no DDR, better VC, bigger HD, new SuperDrives, etc.

The current display promo ends Dec. 31st. Widescreen across the line, lowered prices.

Hope I'm wrong, and it's better, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up. Again.
Hey folks, this is my first post here, so I hope it comes out okay! I am returning, after six LONG years dealing with Windows, back to the Mac community this Wednesday. I have decided on a 17" iMac for my new machine and am ordering it on the 16th with my Apple government discount.

I'm kinda fanatical about not buying something right before it gets redesigned, so I've been scouring the net looking for signs of the iMac's next upgrade.

Last night I stumbled on a mac museum website (http://www.theapplemuseum.com/index.php?id=tam&page=history&subpage=2000) and was looking for signs that something might be coming this week in October for the iMac. On that link there is the timeline of the PowerBook G4 launch. The PowerBook G4, according to this site, was launched at MacWorldSF 2001 in January, then left alone until October 16th, when it got an upgrade, very much like the current situation with the iMac

To my eyes, it seems that this week in October is very likely to bring an iMac speed bump after a year of virtually nothing, much like what happened with the PowerBook G4. Any thoughts on this?

I'm very anxious to order my Mac and get out of this Windows nightmare, and the more I use OSX at the Apple store, the more I'm in love with it. Anyhow, based on the TiBook timeline, I'm going to cross my fingers and toes and hope that I wake up tomorrow morning to a revised iMac! If it isn't revised, I'll probably just buy the stupid thing anyway, I'm just really excited to have a Mac again. It'll be good to be back.

-Drew