15inch PowerBook Details and Supplies

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
49,682
11,001
Despite high expectations for PowerBook updates, the earliest date has come and gone.

Still ThinkSecret confirms that PowerBooks are imminent.

In the meanwhile, a new reliable report casts some light on the 15" PowerBook update... and reports that the new 15" PowerBook screen comes in at 15.2". This is contrary to an early report (and subsequent report) from Digitimes, which claimed that 15.4" PowerBooks would be coming this year. This screen size was then echoed by a number of sites (1, 2, 3) over the course of this year.

The 15" PowerBook will also sport an illuminated keyboard and similar improvements to bring it in line with the Aluminum PowerBooks.

Adding more fuel to the fire is ongoing reports of depleted PowerBook supplies which have littered Page 2. The most recent addition is this report at MacTeens.com which shows little inventory remaining at distributors: IngramMicro and MultiMicro.
 

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
24,430
140
Location Location Location
Shut up.......just shut up about the PB's. :( These stupid August dates didn't sound right anyway. September always seemed more logical, and yet I allowed this rumour to get my hopes up anyway. ****!!!! :mad:
 

virtualsid

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2003
6
0
Does this mean it is likely that the resolution of the 15.2" screen will be the same as the existing 15" PowerBook?

I was hoping it would be higher really - some of the PC laptops now have some nice high resolutions, 1600x1200 in 15"...

Still waiting to see what the new powerbook will be like, and the pricing, to see how much I need to save :)

Sid
 

garymm

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2003
14
0
Davis, CA, USA
higher res

It's actually not necessarily advantageous to cram more pixels in the same screen size. at 1280x854, the 15in is already high-resolution, and I think going higher would make some text hard to read, and of course, remember that running games on an LCD works best when you run them at the native resolution, and most laptops have graphics cards that get outdated fairly quickly.
 

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
3,974
0
St Augustine, FL
Holy crap, I hit back on my browser and IE refreshed to the main page and saw "15 inch PowerBook..." and I swear I nearly had a heart attack...until I saw it was yet another rumor roundup! I swear, sometimes this site is hazardous to your health! Anyway, 15.2" screens, who cares! I've already read enough disappointments if it will really still be the 7455 PPC G4s and another nVidia and all that uncool stuff. It's at that point where I don't care as long as Apple just lets me buy a frikken 15" Aluminum PowerBook!
 

virtualsid

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2003
6
0
Re: higher res

Originally posted by garymm
It's actually not necessarily advantageous to cram more pixels in the same screen size. at 1280x854, the 15in is already high-resolution, and I think going higher would make some text hard to read, and of course, remember that running games on an LCD works best when you run them at the native resolution, and most laptops have graphics cards that get outdated fairly quickly.
I understand your points, but I don't believe the 15.2" is currently a high resolution... I am too lazy to work out the dot pitch, but the resolution of my current PC laptop with a 13.3" screen is 1024x768, and that seems low resolution to me...

SimCity4 is the only game I want to play anyway ;)

Sid
 

actionslacks

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2003
129
0
LA
?

Do we really need another rumor round up?

Clearly NO ONE KNOWS when they are coming.

I miss the days when rumor sites would actually predict a release based on a tip. Where are all of the sources these days? how many people must know about the future of the 15inch powerbook and none of them have said a word to anyone? screw NDAs. There used to be someone who leaked a little!
 

MasterMac

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
132
115
Ahh, I really hope that ThinkSecret is right, I can live with the lower processor speed and smaller screen size, I just want this new PB!!
 

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
15,271
3,421
Re: ?

Originally posted by actionslacks
Do we really need another rumor round up?
it's not a roundup. There is some minor, but reliable new information.

arn
 

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
12,546
1,196
Fingers crossed that they do NOT increase the dot pitch by much if at all. Cramming the maximum number of pixels in is basically a specialty option as far as I'm concerned: some people will find it usable, but most will just ruin their eyes! I wouldn't want tiny menus and tiny icons and tiny browsing.

My eyes are nearly perfect, yet for long hours of use, even my Lombard at 1024x768 in 14" seems too tiny! The TiBook is already a tighter res than that. Fair enough--more workspace--but don't go to any extremes, please!

I wonder if most of the people who buy 1600x1200 laptops really try to work with one first... or just like how the numbers sound, and end up with a less usable/readable display. I'd NEVER buy one, personally.
 

tizza

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
153
0
Brisbane, Australia
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Holy crap, I hit back on my browser and IE refreshed to the main page and saw "15 inch PowerBook..." and I swear I nearly had a heart attack...until I saw it was yet another rumor roundup! I swear, sometimes this site is hazardous to your health! Anyway, 15.2" screens, who cares! I've already read enough disappointments if it will really still be the 7455 PPC G4s and another nVidia and all that uncool stuff. It's at that point where I don't care as long as Apple just lets me buy a frikken 15" Aluminum PowerBook!
I was the same ... heart still beating at dangerously high levels as I lie on the floor and recover ...;)
 

VirtualInsanity

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2003
23
0
Canada
More rumors

This is my first post, but i have been looking around macrumors for awhile and i think its great.:D

These rumors are getting infuriating. Like many, i am holding on for the updates, as i want a 15 inch powerbook for university. Mac is alienating its faithful followers by consistently not putting out.

Powerbooks are geared to professionals, and most people who will pay this much for a laptop know exactly what they want. By taking so long, apple is angering their prime customers.

I know the delays may not be apple's fault (motorola) but cant they at least announce the updates to ease those with impatience?

Dave
 

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
827
5
Where the air is crisp
I don't have a problem with 1600x1200 on laptops...but then I always tend to end up with my face very close to the screen, no matter what...some weird attraction thing going there, not sure why. Must be a bug thing :D

anyway, I think a few hundred pixels on either side would be very handy for any graphic apps, especially 3D programs. Anyone who uses Maya probably knows what I am talking about... ;)

mmmmmmmh...illuminated keyboard
 

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
3,974
0
St Augustine, FL
Our 17" Dell LCD monitor is 1600x1200 and I'll tell you, everything is eerily tiny at that resolution from font to the icons themselves. On topic though, it's basically too late for me to get a new PowerBook before I go back to school, but my Lombard has survived half of my high school years and half of my college years, so one more semester can't kill me. Mostly, I just really want to be able to use OS X/Panther in all its glory and 400 MHz with an 8 meg GPU does not cut it beyond OS 9.
 

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
1,610
0
I'm sorely dissapointed Apple is cheaping out on the screens. They better at least upgrade the quality of the screens, the 17" PB has a signifigantly brighter screen than the current 1 GHz model (15"). I really was putting faith in Apple to wow me, and they're coming way short so far.
 

Mason

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2003
105
0
I'm also waiting to get a 15" powerbook. I was actually at the Apple store earlier today and the saleslady said that there were no updates coming out anytime soon. I just wish I knew what was going on so I could decide whether or not to wait for the powerbooks. I really don't know all the specs for the new books, but everything I've heard sounds good. (You'll have to forgive me as this will be my first Apple computer and I'm still trying to figure out what to do.)
 

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
1,610
0
Originally posted by Mason
I'm also waiting to get a 15" powerbook. I was actually at the Apple store earlier today and the saleslady said that there were no updates coming out anytime soon. I just wish I knew what was going on so I could decide whether or not to wait for the powerbooks. I really don't know all the specs for the new books, but everything I've heard sounds good. (You'll have to forgive me as this will be my first Apple computer and I'm still trying to figure out what to do.)
Definately wait, the release date can't be too far away... and you don't want to pay over $2K for year old technology... well, as technology goes the current 15" powerbook is probably well over a year old having a 1 GHz processor.
 

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
833
0
South Windsor, CT
Re: More rumors

Originally posted by VirtualInsanity
Mac is alienating its faithful followers by consistently not putting out.
i know the feeling. i had this girlfriend a few years ago who would't...OH, you meant something else. my fault. sorry.
 

Mason

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2003
105
0
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
Definately wait, the release date can't be too far away... and you don't want to pay over $2K for year old technology... well, as technology goes the current 15" powerbook is probably well over a year old having a 1 GHz processor.
I appreciate the advice. Does anyone happen to know what the specs on the new powerbook will be or is it just speculation? If it is just speculation, what are people guessing it will be?

Thanks again.
 

actionslacks

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2003
129
0
LA
Re: Re: ?

Originally posted by arn
it's not a roundup. There is some minor, but reliable new information.

arn
Ok, but very minor. A confirmation of a 15.2inch screen? Is this what it has come to?

Why is this page 1? It seems in line with the multiple rumors that have appeared on page 2, yet doesn't supply any strong info.

I appreciate any new tidbit of info, but I just wish it was something more solid or something to get excited about.

Oh well. Keep up the good work anyway.:)
 

ELYXR

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2002
138
0
Seattle
Re: Re: Re: ?

Originally posted by actionslacks
Ok, but very minor. A confirmation of a 15.2inch screen? Is this what it has come to?

I appreciate any new tidbit of info, but I just wish it was something more solid or something to get excited about.

Oh well. Keep up the good work anyway.:)
Anyone ever consider the possibility that Apple got screwed by Moto AGAIN on the 7457 chips? This has happened too many times for noone to be talking about it. Maybe Apple had to go back and totally redesign the new release with 7455 chips? It's not like any other system component could be holding this up, and at this point Apple has basically already missed the back-to-school buyers. I bet Steve is pissed one way or the other. :mad:
 

alphaone

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
300
0
Re: Re: Re: Re: ?

Originally posted by ELYXR
It's not like any other system component could be holding this up, and at this point Apple has basically already missed the back-to-school buyers. I bet Steve is pissed one way or the other. :mad:
Exactly.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.