Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

15inch PowerBook Display Issues?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
After complaints about white spots appearing on the most recent 15" PowerBook G4s, Apple issued a statement on the issue:.

"The new 15-inch PowerBook has been a big hit with customers since its introduction last month. However, some customers are reporting the appearance of faint white spots on their displays after using the system for a short period of time, and Apple is investigating these reports right now. Any customers experiencing this problem should contact AppleCare."

The appearance of the spots appears to be variable, and may develop over time. According to one user, the spots may be due to "spacers" built into the LCD screen.

withnail

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2003
Hadn't heard about these...what is "faint"? I mean, in comparison to the spots over the sleep LED on some Titaniums...

Comment

theipodgod16

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2003
Berkeley, CA
not that i have one, but are they going to fix it under warrenty, or is it just going to be your typical "Rev A" problem. (like my Rev A ibook having cracks around the LCD)???

Comment

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Great news!

I hope this means they will fix all first production runs with the white spotted screens.

I believe the screen just needs to have more support so it's rigid enough to resist dents and the dreaded white spots.

But it's good to see an offical statement from Apple. I don't have one of the new 15 inchers so I guess I'm lucky.

Comment

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.
sounds about right to me....I've got one with about four or five of those spots...here's what I've been thinking...with the Al casing, it can get impressed so that it presses onto the LCD from behind. Don't like it, but thrilled to hear apple is checking into it. :D

[edit for dumb spelling errors :rolleyes: ]

Comment

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
I would say since they are all under a yr old Apple should cover them under warranty.

Comment

brettsea

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
My 15" PB has then and they are getting bigger. My Australian reseller says that Apple will replace the screen for me as soon as they have fixed the problem and have stocks of the replacement screens.

Comment

supercres

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
Well, I've got the spots. Not as bad as some people, but I still plan on sending it back when i can afford not to have a computer for a few weeks. Probably next summer.

No problem, though, since I'm on Applecare protection plan.

Comment

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
Yep. I'm in the market for one of these, but even the display model at the local apple store had them. I'll hold out a little while. I'll be ordering off the website anyway, where there is a three week wait.

Why didn't this problem crop up with the 17 or 12 inchers?

Comment

nacl99

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2003
AZ
few weeks?

Originally posted by supercres
Well, I've got the spots. Not as bad as some people, but I still plan on sending it back when i can afford not to have a computer for a few weeks. Probably next summer.

No problem, though, since I'm on Applecare protection plan.

If you have an apple store near you, they will send it in overnight, then fix it and send it back, I was told the process would only take 3-4 days tops.

As of now Apple Store guys have no official thing to tell us, but to file a report, and then maybe send it in and have them decide. I'd rather wait for something more definitive.

Comment

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Mine developed this after five weeks. It is not usually noticeable. It does affect a few things.

I called Apple and they agreed to fix it immediately. No questions asked. I'll get it repaired in a few weeks after I finish travelling.

Even if you don't plan to fix this till later it might be a good idea to call AppleCare now and get a case number so there will be no confusion later.

Comment

beefstu01

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2002
CA
Re: few weeks?

Originally posted by nacl99
If you have an apple store near you, they will send it in overnight, then fix it and send it back, I was told the process would only take 3-4 days tops.

As of now Apple Store guys have no official thing to tell us, but to file a report, and then maybe send it in and have them decide. I'd rather wait for something more definitive.

Apple has had my laptop for over two weeks waiting for the LCD to come in.

Comment

Porshuh944turbo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2003
Got mine replaced.. took about 5 days - a week cause they were out of stock on screens for a couple days.. but it was overnighted both ways...

now my new screen was perfect.. no spots.. no stuck pixels (my original one had 1), but now I am seeing spots in it again.... :(

definately something that has developed over a couple weeks.. i'll call apple again about it this week to get it documented, but probably won't send it in until they come up with a real solution.

Comment

EZRyde

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2003
So does this mean the 10-15 day ship time on 15" PB is because of this reason?

Comment

tizza

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Well I haven't seen the spots yet on my new 15" but I'm getting a bit nervous now about what I may see in time :( I've been lucky so far ... no dead or stuck pixels at all.

Comment

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
As an owner of an affected 15", and I have been following this issue left and right, I would suggest anyone that wants to have this fixed, wait a couple weeks, and you will have a better chance of a timely repair.

I have had my machine in for almost a week now and it is still "waiting for repair" and people at Apple saying that the part is already there. But some people are also being told 2 weeks for the repair, while they're telling me a couple more days and I should have it back (confusing me). If the technician I had talked to didn't assure me that they had a real fix for it last monday, I would not have sent it in, but (to me) it seems as though they may still be waiting for revised parts to be delivered, or to catch up with demand.

My point being: If you notice these spots, and you can not be without your machine for more than the 3-5 business days that it usually takes them, (normally I am very pleased with a timely return), I would recommend you wait for a couple or more weeks until they have received an adequate supply of new parts, and wait out the initial rush for these parts. Your machine will get back to you in the timely manner Apple usually does, and most likely the techs will have done enough of them to do them in their sleep, so less worries about a second repair.

Comment

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by EZRyde
So does this mean the 10-15 day ship time on 15" PB is because of this reason?

I am almost 100% positive that the machines are being held up for this reason.

Comment

BaDBoY

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2003
California
actually... i had the problem on my 17" PB (the older one). Well i really didnt mind it at first. well.. heres the story...

i was using my comptuer one night.. and the spots were already there.. they did annoy me a bit but i tried not to.. but anyway i was using my PB like usual then the sound just went kerplunk. no more sound came out.. tried everything, did system restore, and all these other methods...then i used apple hardware test to check the hardware and there was a defect on the logic board! it gave me an error.. so i called apple up and they did ask me if there was anything else wrong with teh comptue r.. and rep mentioned the LCD, so i knew i had a chance to get it fixed. i sent it in on a thursday, got my PB back on tuesday. i was happy.. its flawless now.

i think they will fix it as long as its under teh waranty, but i hate teh fact that i have to go to the hassle of getting it fixed for a defective LCD screen

Comment

actionslacks

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2003
LA
15 PB 1.25

Spots started 3 weeks after i recived it. I called Apple and they said that they can fix it, but I would advise all to wait a month or so until they have a premanent solution.

There are many people who have sent there PBs in and gotten one with spots in return.

Comment

itsbetteronamac

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
Hey is it just me or has there been more problems in the last few monthes with apple products than everbefore. Seriously, I love apple to death, but there starting to sound like M$. Well I hope all fixes the displays and does a little better with quality control. But, to all you out there don't get me wrong. It's ok that apple's having a bad streak, but i hope apple dosn't continue down this path.

Comment

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
It's times like these I'm glad I have my 12" PowerBook G4.....:)

But for those of you who have the 15" PowerBook G4's, wait a little while, live with the white spots, and send your machine in when Apple has this figured out.

Comment

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Originally posted by itsbetteronamac
Hey is it just me or has there been more problems in the last few monthes with apple products than everbefore. Seriously, I love apple to death, but there starting to sound like M$. Well I hope all fixes the displays and does a little better with quality control. But, to all you out there don't get me wrong. It's ok that apple's having a bad streak, but i hope apple dosn't continue down this path.

Exactly. I suppose releasing so many different products and updates as fast as Apple has would cause this. Give them time to catch up with themselves, they've been at it hard!

Comment

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Not just a 15" problem...

This is not just a 15" problem nor a powerbook problem or even an apple problem. I had spots like this on an old dell, just as I do on this 15" I'm typing from. I think on the 15" it's caused by the way you pick up your powerbook (my spots are where my fingers are when I pick it up) or by, as some have already noted, spacers between the LCD and the back of the lid. I've opened up many laptops and the spacers that some companies put back there could cause this problem. I've never opened a new powerbook but this may definitely be something apple does. It all depends on the thickness of the LCD and lid. Apple LCDs actually seem to thin to warrant spacers AFAICT though. Hopefully this problem will be resolved and we can all get replacements. I only hope this doesn't affect prices for new powerbook buyers in the future because plenty of people are having these problems and these LCDs can no longer be sold or used in anything not labeled refurb.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.